• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal’s blown, decisions

TankTop

For a couple days I noticed my right speaker was quieter than the left, then my left speaker started showing signs of a blown voice coil. Upon inspection the left speaker voice coil is gone and the right tweeter was a couple millimeters blown out of its housing. I’m going to see what it will cost to repair and I have a matching center that I can cannibalize for parts.

My question is what should I list them for if they’re in good working order?

Focal Chorus S 706 bookshelf’s and matching 700 CC, also just for the bookshelves if I use the center for parts? I’d say the speakers are cosmetically 80% with grills in excellent condition.

On a side note once I realized the speakers were damaged I came across a deal for a pair of Dynaudio Special 40’s new in the box. The deal was ridiculous but still over what my practical budget should be. I’m sure I can sell them for a decent profit but I’m trying to come up with a master plan to keep them, any thoughts? My last thought is I could use the profit from the 40’s and professionally restore the Focal’s and maybe have enough leftover to recap/upgrade my old NAD 705.

Note: I did make a similar post in another forum but I’ve since locked that account as well as many other social media websites, need to focus more at work and home.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would repair the Focal and then sell it and get the Dynaudio if that is your wish. Would be a waste to leave the Focal broken or sold as is...

SMc

FYI: the Focals are about $400 at accessories4less.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've always had a soft spot for Tannoy speakers. The Revolution 6 bookshelf's can be had for under $900 pr, while you save up for those Dynaudio's.

OP
T

TankTop

I'd like to say thanks to everyone offering or suggesting other speakers but I already bought the Special 40's. I'm a car salesman by trade and the deal was too good, I can make a solid profit if I decide not to keep them. That said, I've been an audiophile fan for years but it wasn't until recently that I decided to really start getting into it. I just ordered a UMIK -1 as suggested to me in another thread and I think bang for the buck tuning my room will get me the biggest gains in audio quality.

Reactions: SMc
OP
T

TankTop

So a driver is $120 and a tweeter is $70. Anyone think I can get $500 for matching L/C/R?

OP
T

TankTop

Focal just got back to me, I can canibolize the center for the tweeter and driver. The driver in the center and bookshelf’s is different because it is shielded but if I use both it should work. They said my crossover should be good, and work well with the new drivers impedance. I’ll get that done tonight and see what I think.

Top Bottom