• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FM radio interference on DAC + headphone amp stack

pma

Major Contributor
Can you try battery powered notebook to feed the DAC? (instead of mains powered)

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

Can you try battery powered notebook to feed the DAC? (instead of mains powered)
The amp was picking up interference without the Topping ever being involved. Read my latest two or three previous posts.

pma

Major Contributor
The amp was picking up interference without the Topping ever being involved. Read my latest two or three previous posts.
OK, it would be best returned to the seller.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
If (both of) you read the original post carefully, the interference goes away as soon as I unplug both cables from the amp's input, so the amp is not the problem, it is just amplifying the incoming radio signal.

You have a peculiar style of asking for help. Just saying.

So is the amp the problem or isn’t it? The interference goes away if both cables are unplugged but was there without the Topping?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The interference was even stronger when I moved the Topping away from the amp with the cables still dangling on the amp's input, especially when I held my hand close to them. The placement of the power supply has no effect.
Have you tried grounding the amp? You could use one of the unused RCA inputs for this - just connect ring to ground. You'll need to connect it to some equipment that has a mains ground, or if you are confident with electrical wiring of mains plugs, make a wire from the ground pin of an electrical plug (make sure you connect to ground and not live!!!)

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
There is nothing connected to the amp's single-ended input.
Sometimes it is difficult to get some orientation in similar threads. Are you saying that the input connector is open?? Then the test is invalid. You have to short center pin of the input RCA-CINCH to its sleeve (ground) and investigate if it still demodulates FM. Open input has high impedance and is catching everything from surrounding elmag. fields. It is difficult to participate in threads like this one.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
USB in to Topping, then Topping outputs to amp. Does it go away when you unplug the usb?

Also, is the usb source device, the topping and the amp all plugged into the same ac outlet?

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Also, just having any of the cables plugged into the amp's input makes the interference stronger, doesn't matter if I plug a cable into the right or into the left input.
I can still hear the radio station without the cables, but it's much stronger when I plug them in.
It's much much easier to hear it with my IEMs than with my over-the-ear headphones.
image.png
Is your cable at Topping line out connector is TS or TRS.
TS look like this:
TRS look like this:

TRS tip will save your lots of problems.

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

You have a peculiar style of asking for help. Just saying.

So is the amp the problem or isn’t it? The interference goes away if both cables are unplugged but was there without the Topping?
I tried editing that older post, the interference does not go away completely when unplugging the cables, it's just not as loud and I hadn't noticed it before.

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

Is your cable at Topping line out connector is TS or TRS.
TS look like this:
TRS look like this:

TRS tip will save your lots of problems.
The cables that I'm using are balanced, they are 3-pin TRS.
The cables are fine, I also confirmed they are truly balanced with each pin going to a separate pin on the other side of the cable, none of the contacts are paralleled.

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

I just found another problem with the Sabaj, my room is pretty noisy, both my motherboard and my display/screen emit nasty coil whine, especially the screen.
I moved just the amp and tried it in the kitchen and in the living room to make sure that my room was not the source of the radio interference;
There is a nasty high-pitched whining noise coming from the amp, and I was able to pinpoint the amp's own backlight as the culprit - this backlight whining noise wasn't as noticeable in my room due to my computer's fans and screen coil whine. I can confidently say the backlight is the culprit because the whining noise changes its pitch depending on the character(s) shown on screen, and it gets proportionally louder when I increase the backlight's brightness.

And about the radio interference, it's the same in my room, or in the kitchen or in the living room.

Last edited:
OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

Another problem... is this supposed to light up? lol
The thing emitting the red light should the the IR receiver, right? It is emitting visible red light, by the way, it is visible to the naked eye.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing emitting the red light should the the IR receiver, right? It is emitting visible red light, by the way, it is visible to the naked eye.
That's weird. I was going to suggest a power led next to the IR receiver - but it clearly isn't that. Or at least not one that is functioning correctly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IR LEDs do emit a little in the visible spectrum. They don't have the narrow bandwidth of a laser.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

Amazon scheduled with Seur to pick up this amp on Monday. Should I pick up another A20h? A friend of mine bought the exact same amp (because of me) and he told me his unit does not pick up any interference, I haven't had a chance to listen to his amp, though.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon scheduled with Seur to pick up this amp on Monday. Should I pick up another A20h? A friend of mine bought the exact same amp (because of me) and he told me his unit does not pick up any interference, I haven't had a chance to listen to his amp, though.
If it is reasonably easy to do, get your friend to bring over his unit and plug it into your gear. See if his picks up interference. Then you'll know if yours was a one off problem unit or that something is different about your setup. If his gets interference, I'd try another brand or design.

OP
bsdinis

bsdinis

Fuck amazon, the Seur driver never came to pick it up, and now it's too late to open a new RMA.

Top Bottom