• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FM, any listeners left?

D

Deleted member 50971

Yamaha CR-1000... nice. :)

Good tuner in the CR-1000, too.
See, I am staunchly on-topic! ;)

I didn't get my CR-1000 from the dump. Paid real money for a restored example, because I thought I should have one. It is so weird. ;)
On one hand, it cleaves to the very elegant Yamaha aesthetic of that otherwise rather inelegant era. On the other hand, it's full-on disco with the toggles and sliders! :cool:

View attachment 227454
I remember when those Yamaha‘s were brand new, I used to go to the local stereo house and dream about them. I remember playing one of those big bad boys threw a set of large Cerwin Vega speakers there one day. Not the most accurate speakers but man they could play loud.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm listening to AM quite a bit lately. It's part of my new hobby.

I get to broadcast, too...

41Kaq1lk+eL._AC_.jpg

In the car or at the house, WMNF, WSMR, WUSF, or the last Classic Rock station in Tampa if I want to hear all the tunes we used to play in the band in 1981.

We couldn't decide on a name for it, ended up as "Alias".

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I remember when those Yamaha‘s were brand new, I used to go to the local stereo house and dream about them. I remember playing one of those big bad boys threw a set of large Cerwin Vega speakers there one day. Not the most accurate speakers but man they could play loud.
Me, too... although I ultimately bought one (CA-610II integrated amp, which I still have... probably needless to say).

The Yamahas of that era work very nicely with Matthew Polk's early "Monitor Series" loudspeakers (and vice versa).

D

Deleted member 50971

41Kaq1lk+eL._AC_.jpg

In the car or at the house, WMNF, WSMR, WUSF, or the last Classic Rock station in Tampa if I want to hear all the tunes we used to play in the band in 1981.

That was the brand everyone used back in the day, or half of the ham radio guys. I pity the people that have outdoor antennas near them guys lol.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I use this mostly for FM and a TT. I also stream to it through a CCA, but probably 80% is FM listening.
That's a sweet old unit!
I regret selling my Mitsubishi DA-F20 for the same reason, it was an excellent performing tuner and very kool looking (to me) also.
My home AV's have all included FM - HD Digital but I never use them.
I do use FM in my truck for music, that's all I need any more since I don't make any long road trips any more.
IMG_0642.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Mitsubishi tuners were pretty cool -- I am chagrined to say that I don't have one of them. Wish I did, but the opportunity's not presented itself.

600_OHM

Many of these small multiband radios driven by dsp are using the Silicon Labs (SiLabs) 47xx dsp chipset. Basically low power versions of most modern vehicular receivers. And shortwave etc, but I'm just concentrating on FM broadcast where these shine by default.

Most can look up the datasheets from SiLabs themselves, but here's a block diagram from a radio dx'ers site. There are quite a few of the 47xx chipsets out for the last decade or so.

Basically an LNA amplifier amplifies the spectrum > ADC > DSP > DAC

Good implementation and programming of the DSP chip varies by manufacturer, and I've found that CCrane does a great job. Seems "transparent" to me, and with the lack of most analog demod circuitry, it seems "fast" in transient response. We should send a CCrane Skywave to Amir!

I use my Skywave as a faux-tuner just sitting on the desk - runs forever on AA, and use the headphone out into my portable or desktop Schiit amp.

Again - it pulls back the curtain on the horridly managed stations, and makes the good ones that care, shine!

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did I tell all y'all my story about a Samsung HD (ahem, that's "hybrid digital") FM tuner?
For a variety of reasons, I wanted an HD-capable component tuner, and one came up for sale at a reasonable price, so I bought it.
Turned out it had an "issue". It would work perfectly for a few minutes, then it would lose the HD signal, switch back to the analog MPX signal, and then that would kind of slowly fade away too. I had it for a year or two and would periodically try to troubleshoot it. Seemed like some component was 'breaking down' as it (literally) warmed up. A tailor-made opportunity to troubleshoot with a good ol' can of (non-ozone depleting) "circuit chiller".

Long story short, I finally decided to check for a loose connection inside. I reseated the various and sundry ribbon connectors inside (not that any seemed awry) and... you betcha! It's worked great ever since.

7mn2zkra6gvx.jpg

Sangean HDT-1? I have a Sangean HDT-20, its successor.

Andysu

Major Contributor
oh , most times i use fm depends on what is on the CB radio ? they mostly they broadcast on single side bands , "mostly" .
americans when heard if skip conditions balance is doing it they mostly use the am , "mostly" . europeans mostly use the fm ssb "mostly" . it depends "mostly" ?
superstar.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

41Kaq1lk+eL._AC_.jpg

Are you going to start a pirate broadcast of music while soaring over the area in Florida. I figure the height will give you extra range. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
oh , most times i use fm depends on what is on the CB radio ? they mostly they broadcast on single side bands , "mostly" .
americans when heard if skip conditions balance is doing it they mostly use the am , "mostly" . europeans mostly use the fm ssb "mostly" . it depends "mostly" ?
View attachment 227597
Oh, jeepers. CB... ;)

Sangean HDT-1? I have a Sangean HDT-20, its successor.
Yes. The HDT-20 is (surprisingly) expensive (albeit perhaps better performing/better sounding).

Top Bottom