• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Flux FA-12 Review (headphone amplifier)

Tks

Major Contributor
Really a surprise. The only downside I see from here is the safety tests missing. Otherwise for the sort of amp this is, its great.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this unit. Small head amps are fine for a desk, but if you want a nice looking unit for your living room this is a good option. What would be a good matching source unit?

Noob

IS that the really powerful one I have been hearing about? Explains why I wasnt overly impressed with this, I thought it was the monster.

Yeah, the FA-12 is their entry level.

The FA-10 is the power monster.

The FA-10 Pro is the same power monster with a few upgraded components to give better THD+N measurements. This is the one I am most interested in.

They also have several DAC/AMP combo units that start at $749 and up to $4990

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this unit. Small head amps are fine for a desk, but if you want a nice looking unit for your living room this is a good option. What would be a good matching source unit?

Looks about the same width as the schiit stuff like the Modius- is that right @amirm? Or is it wider than that. If so, the Modius and you can feed xlr and RCA in from same DAC to use both outputs on the Flux (noting the Modius single ended output isnt as clean as the XLR)

Noob

FA-10 > FA-10 pro

And why do you think this? The Pro version measures better. Are you just wanting the warmer sound of the FA-10?

All other specs are the same, but the pro is more neutral.

Do you just not like the neutral sound?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’d be interesting to see what kind of Preamplifier FLUX could build.

It would be reassuringly large but hopefully capable of outputting XLR to RCA and vice versa

PeteL

Major Contributor
And why do you think this? The Pro version measures better. Are you just wanting the warmer sound of the FA-10?

All other specs are the same, but the pro is more neutral.

Do you just not like the neutral sound?
Warmer, more neutral, is it based on measurments published elsewhere? Those terms normally refers to frequency response and beside some high impedance output ones that may be affected by what you plug into, the vast majority of modern amps have ruler flat frequency response, and with a .15 ohms the FA-10 really don't fall in the category of high impedance output, unless something specific is done to create a FR tilt. Is it warm based on your listening impressions?

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can’t see why anyone would buy this over the alternatives: guaranteed noise when you adjust the volume? No thanks. No way to route a balanced signal to SE output? That knocks out a lot of headphones. And vice-versa. I just don’t get it.
For output at least you can always use a SE to balanced adapter if SE is your input; you do lose the power though. Don't think a balanced to SE adapter is possible without the risk of breaking something.

Last edited:

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@amirm I noticed the output isn't 4VAC, it's >4.2V. Doesn't this possibly provide an unfair advantage on the SINAD measurement? Granted, some improve, some diminish, with higher output. Normally it's much close to or exactly at 4V.

Noob

Warmer, more neutral, is it based on measurments published elsewhere? Those terms normally refers to frequency response and beside some high impedance output ones that may be affected by what you plug into, the vast majority of modern amps have ruler flat frequency response, and with a .15 ohms the FA-10 really don't fall in the category of high impedance output, unless something specific is done to create a FR tilt. Is it warm based on your listening impressions?
Ah, I see you have been somewhat misinformed.

"Warmth" In audio is not specifically about the shape of a frequency response graph.

"Warmth" is a broad term to refer to any sort of tonal saturation in the "mids" with emphasis typically but not necessarily in the low mids.

In this case, "mids" is frequencies between 200Hz and 2000Hz, and "low mids" is the octave from 200-400Hz.

Saturation can come in a variety of forms and is often a combination of several things. The three most common examples are frequency response (as you mentioned), reverb which is the rate of decay for any particular sound, and distortion. Transient response within particular frequency bands can also play a factor, but that one is more difficult to explain for me, so I will stick to the basic three.

In the case of the solid state Flux Labs FA-10, it is a class A amplifier, and a fairly well engineered one. So we are not dealing with frequency response or reverberation. That leaves distortion. And sure enough, the FA-10 has higher distortion levels than the FA-10pro which lends it that greater tonal density. The trick for making this work is something electric guitar nerds have been wrestling with for decades, maximizing distortion while minimizing noise. It's a fine balance.

So the point here is that the total sonic energy within a particular frequency range is not solely dependent on the fundamental wave amplitude but on a combination of several factors that affect how our ears and brains percieive the amount of sound.

As an audio technician, making things sound louder or bigger while not actually measuring higher in amplitude is a large part of my job, and there are several tools used to create the effect of "warmth", distortion being one of them.

rmsanger

I love those washing machine type capacitor into audio devices :D they give a tough looking :cool:
Yep the Volot is specifically engineered to drive the HE6 SEv2, Susvara, and 1266 Phi Tc. Release with reviews should be within the next month.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Ah, I see you have been somewhat misinformed.

"Warmth" In audio is not specifically about the shape of a frequency response graph.

"Warmth" is a broad term to refer to any sort of tonal saturation in the "mids" with emphasis typically but not necessarily in the low mids.

In this case, "mids" is frequencies between 200Hz and 2000Hz, and "low mids" is the octave from 200-400Hz.

Saturation can come in a variety of forms and is often a combination of several things. The three most common examples are frequency response (as you mentioned), reverb which is the rate of decay for any particular sound, and distortion. Transient response within particular frequency bands can also play a factor, but that one is more difficult to explain for me, so I will stick to the basic three.

In the case of the solid state Flux Labs FA-10, it is a class A amplifier, and a fairly well engineered one. So we are not dealing with frequency response or reverberation. That leaves distortion. And sure enough, the FA-10 has higher distortion levels than the FA-10pro which lends it that greater tonal density. The trick for making this work is something electric guitar nerds have been wrestling with for decades, maximizing distortion while minimizing noise. It's a fine balance.

So the point here is that the total sonic energy within a particular frequency range is not solely dependent on the fundamental wave amplitude but on a combination of several factors that affect how our ears and brains percieive the amount of sound.

As an audio technician, making things sound louder or bigger while not actually measuring higher in amplitude is a large part of my job, and there are several tools used to create the effect of "warmth", distortion being one of them.
I am also an audio technician and a graduated electrical engineer. I haven't been "misinformed", but you did not reply to my question. Let's say audio glossary may vary slightly depending on what we are talking about, but that's not really the point. A warm headphone or speaker, very linked to the frequency response, elevated in the upper bass/low mid region. Can you make this guitar warmer? well kinda let's agree with "frequency content" rather than frequency response and yes harmonic distortion change the frequency content and adding a bit of tasteful distortion may somewhat, but it's a stretch, make the tone sound warmer (or less bright), but come on, you know full well that if a guitarist ask you to make his guitar warmer... You reach to your EQ first, please...In all cases, it don't mean make my guitar more distorted. Now, we are talking of an amp with a THD at 82 dB below signal, with no indication that it's frequency dependant. I am not saying that it's not audible, it could be, but this indication alone is certainly not something that can tell us that it is aimed at molding the tonal signature.Or that it's a "trick to maximise distortion while minimizing noise". It is hifi, with a distortion level lower than anything from 30 years ago, and much much lower than the typical tube colorful amps That's why I asked if you heard it.... Last thing, first time in my 20 years carreer that I hear reverberation is saturation...

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

In both of the competitive comparison charts this is a Topping A10 pro listed with the other Toppings? Is this something new I missed?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
In both of the competitive comparison charts this is a Topping A10 pro listed with the other Toppings? Is this something new I missed?
Typo carried over from the A30Pro review.

index.php

Top Bottom