• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Flux FA-12 Review (headphone amplifier)

Koeitje

Major Contributor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Pretty sure a 3 pin IEC chassis mount with no connected chassis earth pin may not...

Is this fundamentally different than this tough? Not saying it's a good excuse.
1614425418991.png

PeteL

Major Contributor
That is double insulated, indicated by the double square one into the other symbol near "AC input". That way you could avoid to ground the device, but the FLUX amp doesn't show the double insulation symbol..
Thanks but what does it means electrically? The Flux don't have any certification symbols, we already know they are not externally tested. But the question is, it is unsafe?

AlexHRider

Cannot say for sure if the device itself is unsafe, since im not an expert and therefore im not able to analyze the circuit and manufacturing of the FLUX FA12. Better wait for someone who's up to the task.

The thing is that if any fail happens at the power supply stage of an unshielded or not grounded device and you are touching the metal chassis you'll be surely get some electric shock

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That could be the one pictured only. Amir could test his one with a multimeter easily to confirm if a product wide problem, and maybe Add an earth and remeasure, see if it makes any difference earthing the case?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Cannot say for sure if the device itself is unsafe, since im not an expert and therefore im not able to analyze the circuit and manufacturing of the FLUX FA12.

The thing is that if any fail happens at the power supply stage of an unshielded or not grounded device and you are touching the metal chassis you'll be surely get some electric shock
Right. A quick search and found that it just mean the chassis is not conductive, but I've seen metal chassis fed by 2 pins IEC, wonder how rigourous it is tested. You don't really get shocked trough black paint with these currents but yes sh*t happens.
Edit: The Emotiva BasX A-100 reviewed lately also have the symbol and it's clearly a metal chassis.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
That could be the one pictured only. Amir could test his one with a multimeter easily to confirm if a product wide problem, and maybe Add an earth and remeasure, see if it makes any difference earthing the case?
I don't believe it would be only the one pictured, they left it unconnected for the same reason all manufacturers that dont connect the chassis to ground do, it's because ground loops. Not that's a good excuse.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about them being discreet but they do look to be discrete. :p

This whole "balanced in --> balanced out" / "unbalanced in --> unbalanced out" thing is weird. They certainly wouldn't have implemented the volume control twice if it's a relay-controlled resistor ladder job?

The power supply board is a bit peculiar... either they've got a built-in DC blocker or it is shared between primary (mostly bottom side) and secondary (most top side). This may or may not pass regulations. I think the power resistor is for soft start... seems a bit overdressed for a presumably sub-100VA xfmr, but hey.

Agreed - the split on the inputs is bonkers. Not that I need another amp but that would put me off if I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

PeteL

Major Contributor
About us: Flux Lab Acoustics is a Ukrainian company.
No chance for approval of the device in germany with a metal housing + 220v without grounding. That is forbidden.
To my knowledge, Germany follows the same CE regulations than the rest of the European Union. This amp is for the European market. Metal chassis, no earth pins, 230V

1614432592651.png

Reactions: trl

AlexHRider

To my knowledge, Germany follows the same CE regulations than the rest of the European Union. This amp is for the European market. Metal chassis, no earth pins, 230V

View attachment 115215
Yes but this has always the double insulation (check the symbol under "Emotiva", near CE logo)

I don't know if the double insulation could be obtained only by spacing enough the power supply section/PCB from the chassis, that would explain why there are no closed box shielding that section even in the A100.. but im pretty unconfident..

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes but this has always the double insulation (check the symbol under "Emotiva", near CE logo)

I don't know if the double insulation could be obtained only by spacing enough the power supply section/PCB from the chassis, that would explain why there are no closed box shielding that section even in the A100.. but im pretty unconfident..
My point was simply, that it is possible to have double insulation, and by extension CE compliance, with a metal chassis. Again, painted metal is not "really" conductive. the inside of the drilled holes for the screws is though, and paint can get scratched, but at some point it's a matter of probability, I get your point about markings and logo, this product has none, it just mean that whatever they did to make their product safe, they didn't have the budget to have a certification lab confirm it. For now that's all we know. That said, not having been certified IS a fair reason not to buy a product, but just judging that based on the fact that there is no earth connected to the chassis, it can be demonstrated that this is not the criteria, but I'd like to know what this criteria is to consider something double insulated.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir been wondering about these amps. Suprising good preformance and nice build. Personally I much prefer double insulated stuff. Wish the transformer was potted too. The strange thing is the slight stuggle with current , all those 50V 10,000uf caps and a decent size torriodal you'd think it would be a current delivery monster.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t see why anyone would buy this over the alternatives: guaranteed noise when you adjust the volume? No thanks. No way to route a balanced signal to SE output? That knocks out a lot of headphones. And vice-versa. I just don’t get it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, quick someone send the FA-10 pro in.
IS that the really powerful one I have been hearing about? Explains why I wasnt overly impressed with this, I thought it was the monster.

Top Bottom