• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

"Flutter" on Amazon Music?

Robin L

Major Contributor
Have limited experience with music streaming from the internet, save YouTube. I'd assume YouTube sound would be dodgy, though there's some recent streams from that source that are of surprising high quality. I would guess that the upper tier of Amazon Music would be at least high-quality MP3. But some of the streams from Amazon have been suffering from very audible flutter of some sort. I've noticed it in particular with harpsichord and lute recordings. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Post an example that illustrates the problem you experience.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Major Contributor
Post an example that illustrates the problem you experience.
I'm not sure how to do that. I heard the problem at the Amazon website with Nigel North's volume 3 of music of John Dowland and two different recordings of Bach's Goldberg Variations, one being Gustav Leonhardt's last recording for Deutsche Harmonia Mundi, the other Blandine Verlet's recording for Astree. Initially, all is fine, but about five minutes in, the sound gets bad. Nothing subtle about it. To confirm, I listened to my copy, on flash drive, of Nigel North's volume one of Dowland [mostly hunky-dory, but there parts of that disc that were damaged before I ripped the music, but that's operator error]. I wouldn't know how to make a link to Amazon Music, but if you have access, those are rather specific examples. All are standard, not upper tier. I've heard other streams from Amazon that were fine, some were "Ultra HD", which were just as fine.

Top Bottom