• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Florida International Audio Expo 2023

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh damn will someone be selling SACDs there?
Possibly, going by past experience I didn't see much at the Tampa shows.
Besides that, MoFi is one of the largest producers of SACD's but I have a feeling that MoFi will be keeping a low profile for the near future. LOL
I've never seen anyone selling used product at a show.

What I've heard about audio shows is that these companies setup super expensive systems in less than ideal rooms with no acoustic treatment and it leaves much to be desired.
There's good and bad, but mostly folks just like throwing stones no matter how hard a company may try.
Just have fun and don't take any of it too seriously

Everything seems accurate here, but you may have missed the fact they’re made in china and designed here. I can’t talk about the drivers themselves as I am not sure where they are made. But accordingly this is how they keep prices low
The drivers are made in their own factory. All the production is under one roof.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Orchard Audio to Exhibit at the 2023 Florida International Audio Expo

I am proud to announce that the company will exhibit at the Florida International Audio Expo (FAE), on February 17-19, 2023, in Tampa, Florida.

Orchard Audio’s exhibit will feature the following award-winning products:
Starkrimson® Stereo Ultra: 500W gallium nitride (GaN) stereo audio power amplifier
Starkrimson® Mono: 150W GaN monoblock audio power amplifier
PecanPi® Streamer: Networked audio player (transport) with built-in DAC and headphone amplifier

Starkrimson amps are fully analog, state-of-the-art GaN audio power amplifiers developed to provide the listener with a truly life-like musical experience, presented with every significant detail intact. GaN technology benefits include less harshness, cleaner highs, better transparency, and higher detail. In addition to using GaN transistors, Starkrimson amps use Orchard Audio’s proprietary dual feedback modulator, keeping the amplifier fully balanced from input to output.

Both amplifiers will use the company’s PecanPi Streamer as the source. The PecanPi Streamer is an ultra-high performance networked music player that combines a streamer, DAC, and headphone amplifier into a single device. The PecanPi DAC brings studio-quality sound to your home. It can be connected to any existing stereo amplifier, preamplifier, or receiver, as well as headphones.

Orchard Audio will exhibit in room 506.

Speakers will be supplied by Soundfield Audio (https://www.soundfieldaudio.net).
Cables will be provided by Triode Wire Labs (https://www.triodewirelabs.com/).

For FAE event information, visit https://floridaaudioexpo.com.

About Orchard Audio, LLC
At Orchard Audio, we believe that listening should be an experience. With a range of expertly designed, high-performance DACs, streamers, and amplifiers, we’re helping you elevate the sound in your home theater, listening room, or recording studio. As passionate music lovers, we know how important your music is to you -- that’s why each of our products is handcrafted in the U.S. with you in mind.
www.orchardaudio.com
www.twitter.com/orchardaudio
www.facebook.com/orchardaudio
www.instagram.com/orchardaudio www.linkedin.com/company/orchard-audio-llc

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
The drivers are made in their own factory. All the production is under one roof.
So far what I understood and may not be accurate is that it’s made in China in Perlisten factory. Still made in china.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Possibly, going by past experience I didn't see much at the Tampa shows.
Besides that, MoFi is one of the largest producers of SACD's but I have a feeling that MoFi will be keeping a low profile for the near future. LOL
I've never seen anyone selling used product at a show.

They have 5 rooms, I don't think thats a low profile...

1674070983863.png

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to be bachelor the weekend of the show so I may drive up to attend.

Martin

gallionetech

I just got into audio late last year and this will be the first show I'll be attending. I live in South Florida so it's only about a 3 hour drive to get there.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of bummed that I’ll be in Miami for first two weeks of February for work and this is happening the following weekend.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Kind of bummed that I’ll be in Miami for first two weeks of February for work and this is happening the following weekend.
When I went last year it was my first time in Florida and we stayed in Tampa and drove out to Miami for two days. Unless you work the weekend I can’t see why you can’t drive out. It would definitely be worth it, spend Saturday night and go Saturday and Sunday

Or go over Friday night and stay the weekend

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I went last year it was my first time in Florida and we stayed in Tampa and drove out to Miami for two days. Unless you work the weekend I can’t see why you can’t drive out. It would definitely be worth it, spend Saturday night and go Saturday and Sunday

Or go over Friday night and stay the weekend
Welp I travel back home to Ohio on the 12th. So can’t stay and go, but another year.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll be enjoying a Percutaneous Neprolithotomy that weekend, scheduled for Thursday and Monday.

You folks have fun!

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Somafunk

Major Contributor

atfaber

Forum Donor
Hope @RayDunzl is well.

I went to the expo today for roughly 5 hours, my first time at the venue.
I didn't go to every single room so mine is a limited sampling.

Liked without reservations:
- Gheshelli. Very nice people. Loved the new Pro headphone amp (not announced yet). I cranked and cranked Skrillex but my ears gave up before the HP and the amp.
- RME. Nice rep. I tried the RME ADI-2 PRO FS with unknown HP fed by my own phone via USB. Very nice until the HP gave up at about -9. Everything first class, the display, the controls, the sound.
- Joseph Audio. Hearing is believing. Their Pulsar 2 mini monitors were just good. Smooth, dynamic, could play loud without strain, the speakers that kept on giving. The tweeters just rocked. I probably cannot afford the boxes they come in.
- Magnepan + LCH (who?) passive subs + NAD chain - one track only but what was coming out was awesome ... and loud (I know, small rooms ...). Unlike most everything else, no resonances or overbearing bass. No DRC!?

Liked with reservations:
- TAD Reference One (large meeting room). Like: very resolving, smooth, dynamic, full range. Dislike: somewhat recessed voices, price.
- MBL Radialstrahler 101 (large meeting room). Like: not sure, I just stayed in the room for a long time. Dislike: price, uneven across the band in term of resolution/distortion. btw, amazing things happen when you listen with your eyes closed.

That's it!
The rest of the rooms I visited were disappointing at multiple levels.
No DRC anywhere despite the obvious booming bass and ear-piercing resonances.
Even the notorious subwoofer brand home theater set up with the awesome DTS demo was all over the places.

I am even starting to suspect that the ASR crowd might not be the intended audience ;)

Parting comments:
Apparently a lot of ancillary equipment comes fresh from Best Buy due to various misadventures in shipping and transportation.
Do not expect any form of network connection, anywhere, cellular or otherwise.
As MZKM said, a lot of stairs, some of which led nowhere.
We were semi-gently kicked out of a room as the rep had to attend to a member of the press ... "because that's what pays my bills".
Only places where I saw people in the 20-30yo range were headphone-related.

Peace.

gallionetech

Went today as well. I mainly visited Floor 14 for all the headphones. Spent most of my time in Moon Audio as they had a wide selection of headphones.

I tried pretty much every headphone they had available, and my conclusions were that I absolutely love the Dan Clark Expanse & Stealths I have. My only upgrade path is the Susvara’s.

Overall, had a great time & everyone was very friendly. Moon Audio was very accommodating along with Audeze.

Top Bottom