• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Florida International Audio Expo 2023

FrankW

Please read @RayDunzl assessment and measurements of his LSR-308.. Please. Calling @RayDunzl !! :D.
Well, Amir provided plenty for me already https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/jbl-308p-mkii-studio-monitor-review.17338/
During the sweep even with my ear protection on, I could hear anomalies at 96 dB. There is electronic limiter which when kicks in, creates all kind of noises and squeals.
Nice, but as Amir notes, completely unravels by 96db, which is not terribly loud on dynamic peaks. I've heard them and most certainly wouldn't trade for M16s or my F36s.
Nor an audio show here's what a budget system can do demo. YMMV.

ANd FWIW , I am not saying that a $2500.oo is all anyone needs to reach SOTA. Not at all.. I can see some intonation of such in your posts. Not my point at all. I believe such a basic easy to assemble system would demonstrate to the budding audiophiles that there is no need to spend ungodly amount of money on a system.
And as I noted, SVS was there with an AVR, very affordable bookshelfs, multiple subs (which I know you like). The Orchard system posted above wasn't crazy either, MOFI speakers, etc.
DSC4672a.jpg

But again, by all means, organize an "ASR approved" system for a show and see what unfolds. I'd be surprised if you got any type of consensus. Maybe just have Ray bring his MLs and JBLs setup :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, Amir provided plenty for me already https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/jbl-308p-mkii-studio-monitor-review.17338/

Nice, but as Amir notes, completely unravels by 96db, which is not terribly loud on dynamic peaks. I've heard them and most certainly wouldn't trade for M16s or my F36s.
Nor an audio show here's what a budget system can do demo. YMMV.

And as I noted, SVS was there with an AVR, very affordable bookshelfs, multiple subs (which I know you like). The Orchard system posted above wasn't crazy either, MOFI speakers, etc.
DSC4672a.jpg

But again, by all means, organize an "ASR approved" system for a show and see what unfolds. I'd be surprised if you got any type of consensus. Maybe just have Ray bring his MLs and JBLs setup :)
K

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But again, by all means, organize an "ASR approved" system for a show and see what unfolds. I'd be surprised if you got any type of consensus.
Just be sure to wear your flac jacket or bullet proof vest.
Audiophiles don't like to be told or shown anything that contests their deeply held beliefs.
I've got a few good friends that do these shows that are hard core objectivists and are totally
opposed to the worthless expensive cables and such. But when they go to the shows they take
and use some garden hose cables since to do otherwise would waste half their day with questions
and negative comments on their setup due to the use of non-believer level cables, etc.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I watched a video on the actual cost and it’s pretty foolish. Seems like the breakdown is in hopes for a sale.

Furthermore it comes down to another factor which is why are there so many damn shows now. It seems crazy on everyone, from manufacturer to distributors to dealers etc. clearly it will be a tax write off in America and has no effect on the big companies to where the small dudes would need to with no business to back them will have to incur the entire fee.

Second, most the items which are in the room are simply donated to further there sales. As in the main host paid for everything and what does it cost another company to send out a demo unit to this room to create the notion this phenomenal sound is actually coming from the addition of accessories. Definitely feel this is accurate with cables and power conditioning, and I am sure there’s more than that as well. Simply that those things are always a cheap way to advertise for those companies

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Furthermore it comes down to another factor which is why are there so many damn shows now. It seems crazy on everyone, from manufacturer to distributors to dealers etc. clearly it will be a tax write off in America and has no effect on the big companies to where the small dudes would need to with no business to back them will have to incur the entire fee.
I think you miss the fact that in this day of few brick & mortar stores and predominant internet sales, it gives the
customer some ability to go out and hear a large number of different gear, speakers specially.
There's also having the time to socialize with other members of the Hi Fi community and have some fun.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I think you miss the fact that in this day of few brick & mortar stores and predominant internet sales, it gives the
customer some ability to go out and hear a large number of different gear, speakers specially.
There's also having the time to socialize with other members of the Hi Fi community and have some fun.
I totally agree, I have been going to shows and pretty much a lot of rooms are simply repeats. I just do it for the love of audio, I am just saying I think it would be better for the entire community to make a breakdown and have an extravaganza show. I absolutely do not go to buy anything, even though I can afford to purchase something I enjoy. My house is a freaking audio show lolll

I am merely pointing out that again since nearly everything is a repeat the only thing would really be travel convenience.

I went to Florida and Axpona last year, and now this year I went to Axpona and I am going to T.H.E. show and capitol audiofest. Axpona from this year to last year had nearly 50+% of the same rooms. Personally I think it’s an underestimation of how many of the same rooms with nearly everything the same.

We will see now once we get to the rest of these shows how it plays out. I wouldn’t doubt similarities.

In addition I would, if I ran the shows and shrank the amount of events, would make it a 4 day event since most people are clearly traveling out. I’ve gone all three days to all these events and I always go to every room twice

I am not here to bash these events, but honestly there’s simply no love for audio. These are all business endeavors and it’s not even done by the audio companies. It’s merely to make money.

Look at Florida, it’s a newer event and was actually free for anyone to come the first two or three events. Then they started charging and I’m sure this is how it all starts, and don’t get me wrong I don’t mind paying. It’s like build the event up and now cash in.

On single event you can imagine it’s going to cost a minimum of 1500 outside of audio related expenses. Flight, room, rental, food etc. In addition lost wages if you don’t got pto. The three shows I’ve gone too within a year has cost me 10 grand easy.

FrankW

True, but I went to Florida in 22’ not 23’. So the bs didn’t start yet
Yet this show seemed to have been near capacity and Axpona was something like 200 rooms. 200! Clearly there is demand. I haven't been to one in years, but obviously other folks feel different. The gent in the "End Game" thread sounded like a kid in a candy store and actually re-aimed on his speaker goals based on that show.
The idea of an "ASR" room seems remote to me, given that there would be little or no agreement of what to put in it ;-).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet this show seemed to have been near capacity and Axpona was something like 200 rooms. 200! Clearly there is demand. I haven't been to one in years, but obviously other folks feel different. The gent in the "End Game" thread sounded like a kid in a candy store and actually re-aimed on his speaker goals based on that show.
The idea of an "ASR" room seems remote to me, given that there would be little or no agreement of what to put in it ;-).
I ,reluctantly, agree with you. There is power in showing off those, (mostly and IMO) overpriced gears. The aesthetics appeal and aspects of the hobby is stronger than some of us, objectivists, realize. If it's in Miami, and it happens to coincide with one of my travels... I may go, else, not worth the bother.

Peace.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Well there was no asr room, and honestly it would probably cause a stir as most people are probably subjective at these shows. Especially since it seemed most the crowd was men in their 40s.

I’ve touched on the topic a few times that unfortunately 90% of gear on the market is passing to masses especially when they’ve never heard an objectively clean setup. Even if they had it’s still difficult to differentiate.

At axpona kimber had a room which was to show the difference cables make and even with cables 4x more expensive I heard no difference. But seems like most people love to “hear” the benefits which are not real vs prove they don’t exist cause the room was fairly crowded the two times I visited and the crowds would stay for a while.

Top Bottom