• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Florida International Audio Expo 2023

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First visit to an audio show.

Initial impression was, "strange music" was being played with electronic keyboards, over processed vocals...kept on walking past rooms with this crap playing. Found a few rooms playing recordings of real acoustic instruments playing, piano, guitars, sax, drum kits and singers without tons of effects altering their voices.
+1
Just effects to show-off.

ferrellms

How much does a room like this cost? It would be fun to bring some proven equipment together, proven techniques and compare different styles. Big speakers, small, subs, EQ, etc. Skip all the fancy cable risers and power transports, no specific vendor preference.
I doubt this would be allowed by the organizers. The vendors would be outraged. The idea is to sell stuff, good or not, not show off gear.

FrankW

The idea is to sell stuff, good or not, not show off gear.
No idea about this show, but I thought the entire premise was to show off gear? Yes, of course with hopes of selling, but no guarantees.
I attended Axpona many years ago (2016?) and there were DIY line array speakers in one room, no fancy cables or anything.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

There were talks within this ASR community to present an ASR-type system at one of those shows. I would be all for it and would contribute. I am certain not to be alone.
Install the system , Calibrate it , darken the room so all they see are the lights to find the seats. They would be invited to come with thir own music.. on a file.
Cheap-ass Streamer (Wimm or Raspberry Pi with Volumio or Moode.. ... etc..)
DSP/EQ component or AVR with PC Software ( Audyssey MultEQ-X, DIRAC with DLBC, etc...)
2 speakers (Inexpensive but good)
2 Subwoofer inexpensive but good.
Cheap Treatments if possible.
The cheapest cables..

Then ask people to vote and reveal system at the end... of the show...

I can't go to these shows anymore. The level of BS and inanity is too much for me to bear.

Peace

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
The room costs around 5k for the duration of the show. If you get the room you can do whatever you want in here.

Many known YouTubers sometimes get rooms at these shows to show off their stuff without any intention of selling anything maybe just getting more channel subscribers.

I had the least expensive room at this year's flax price-wise (without any power conditioners or thousand-dollar cables) and yet the feedback I heard quite often was how great it sounded compared to rooms many times the price.

20230218_071827.jpg

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi

There were talks within this ASR community to present an ASR-type system at one of those shows. I would be all for it and would contribute. I am certain not to be alone.
Install the system , Calibrate it , darken the room so all they see are the lights to find the seats. They would be invited to come with thir own music.. on a file.
DSP/EQ component or AVR with PC Software ( Audyssey MultEQ-X, DIRAC with DLBC, etc...)
The cheapest cables..

I can't go to these shows anymore. The level of BS and inanity is too much for me to bear.

Peace
I agree that so many rooms were complete bs.
The room costs around 5k for the duration of the show. If you get the room you can do whatever you want in here.

Many known YouTubers sometimes get rooms at these shows to show off their stuff without any intention of selling anything maybe just getting more channel subscribers.

I had the least expensive room at this year's flax price-wise (without any power conditioners or thousand-dollar cables) and yet the feedback I heard quite often was how great it sounded compared to rooms many times the price.

View attachment 284702
Is this picture from the 2023 expo? Looks very familiar.

ferrellms

Hi

The cheapest cables..

Peace
I stand corrected about non-dealer rooms not being accepted.

I will be there with my Windows PC, Amazon Music Unlimited online and Kii 3s and their control box plugged directly into the USB in the laptop. A measurement or 2 and adjust the Kii PEQ to minimize the 2 or 3 big resonances due to the room itself and to adjust treble to taste. Best sounding room in the place, I'd wager. Interesting contrast to big piles of fancy over-priced stuff sitting on the floor and in the way. Don't let the dog chew your 1000 dollar speaker cables.
I cannot stand those shows either - that many suckers in one place make me nervous.

Last edited:

FrankW

2 speakers (Inexpensive but good) 2 Subwoofer inexpensive but good. Cheap Treatments if possible. The cheapest cables..
Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but is the implication there are no "ASR" type systems at these shows? I realize there is a lot of crazy stuff in some rooms, but in this other thread there was a setup with a pair of very good speakers (D&D) and pretty much zero else, even from your list.

FrankW

View attachment 284702
Were you advertising coffee? Kudos for no cable lifters etc, what are those things atop the inside speakers??

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but is the implication there are no "ASR" type systems at these shows? I realize there is a lot of crazy stuff in some rooms, but in this other thread there was a setup with a pair of very good speakers (D&D) and pretty much zero else, even from your list.
Ok then..
My list is not meant to be comprehensive. I believe that the music lovers and audiophiles must be educated on the value of Science in the pursuit of High Fidelity. An illustration of great sound for a relatively modest budget. The D&D 8C pair, while deemed great by reputable and reliable objective reviewers, is still $15,000.oo .. A princely sum. $2500.oo to me is at a different (lower) threshold: 6 times less expensive than a pair of 8C...
I don't have the time to find and post my own measurements, but there is a person with vast knowledge (@RayDunzl ), who uses the same speakers (JBL LSR308) and same subwoofers (Dayton Audio SUB-1500) in his alternate system, nad it's flat within plus or minus 3 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz... I actually based my systems on his results.. later @amirm, reviewed the LSR308 .. and the more recent Denon AVR-X3700 and recommended these...

Peace.

FrankW

My list is not meant to be comprehensive. I believe that the music lovers and audiophiles must be educated on the value of Science in the pursuit of High Fidelity. An illustration of great sound for a relatively modest budget. The D&D 8C pair, while deemed great by reputable and reliable objective reviewers, is still $15,000.oo .. A princely sum. $2500.oo to me is at a different (lower) threshold: 6 times less expensive than a pair of 8C...
I don't have the time to find and post my own measurements, but there is a person with vast knowledge (@RayDunzl ), who uses the same speakers (JBL LSR308) and same subwoofers (Dayton Audio SUB-1500) in his alternate system, nad it's flat within plus or minus 3 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz... I actually based my systems on his results.. later @amirm, reviewed the LSR308 .. and the more recent Denon AVR-X3700 and recommended these...
Gotcha, you mean something more affordable than D&Ds. Well, seems SVS was there, with OMG an AVR as the centerpiece. :)
But again, maybe I'm missing the point, is your "ASR" type system going to have "best of show" type sound, because...??
I note MKR was most impressed by some rather large, expensive systems in the Axpona thread. My faded memory of 2016ish show was there was a lot of meh and a few terrific sounding systems, better than my F36s, but for a whole lot more. I've heard the LSR308s and most certainly would not trade for my F36s, much less those. YMMV.
It certainly would be interesting if someone tried this.

Reactions: MKR
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Local audiophile groups have setup budget systems and such at shows. I have not see much traction as a result of their work. There is also a lot of work standing there and talking to people all day, lugging gear beforehand, setup and tear down. All in all, we are better off buying some ads on Google than doing a show like this. :)

FrankW

Local audiophile groups have setup budget systems and such at shows. I have not see much traction as a result of their work.
Indeed the curved line array system I heard at Axpona was a DIY speaker...and sounded rather pedestrian. As did some mega $$ systems. But there were a few mega $$ systems that sounded really really good. In between was something like the Linkwitz dipoles, which were both DIY and not astronomically priced. Sounded fantastic to me, just don't have the space for speakers like that. Not too sure if Frantz's approach would actually work, who knows.

(@RayDunzl ), who uses the same speakers (JBL LSR308) and same subwoofers (Dayton Audio SUB-1500) in his alternate system, nad it's flat within plus or minus 3 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz... I actually based my systems on his results.
I would note Rays "main" system are Krells driving big Martin Logan stats, the type of system MKR raved about at Axpona show. Just sayin' :). There may be more to spectacular sound than an in room 20-20k pressure point measurement.
Btw, just got latest subscriber Stereophile (not yet available public online, so won't post data pics), where the TAD CE1TX ($35k:oops:) was reviewed. The measurements look really good. Ironically, like the D&Ds, one of the "Best of show" speakers https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...best-of-florida-international-audio-expo-2023
Could that be done for $2500? Dunno. I think you need to drag a system to one of these shows Frantz, wherever you are

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed the curved line array system I heard at Axpona was a DIY speaker...and sounded rather pedestrian. As did some mega $$ systems. But there were a few mega $$ systems that sounded really really good. In between was something like the Linkwitz dipoles, which were both DIY and not astronomically priced. Sounded fantastic to me, just don't have the space for speakers like that. Not too sure if Frantz's approach would actually work, who knows.

I would note Rays "main" system are Krells driving big Martin Logan stats, the type of system MKR raved about at Axpona show. Just sayin' :). There may be more to spectacular sound than an in room 20-20k pressure point measurement.
Btw, just got latest subscriber Stereophile (not yet available public online, so won't post data pics), where the TAD CE1TX ($35k:oops:) was reviewed. The measurements look really good. Ironically, like the D&Ds, one of the "Best of show" speakers https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...best-of-florida-international-audio-expo-2023
Could that be done for $2500? Dunno. I think you need to drag a system to one of these shows Frantz, wherever you are
Please read @RayDunzl assessment and measurements of his LSR-308.. Please. Calling @RayDunzl !! :D.
ANd FWIW , I am not saying that a $2500.oo is all anyone needs to reach SOTA. Not at all.. I can see some intonation of such in your posts. Not my point at all. I believe such a basic easy to assemble system would demonstrate to the budding audiophiles that there is no need to spend ungodly amount of money on a system.
A bit tangential. Same with the TCZ, the now very famous TRUTHEAR Crinnacle Zero.. It demonstrates that one can achieve SOTA at $50.oo. A person may want to spend more... From that point on (TCZ at $50.oo) for most any objective audiophile, it is near impossible to justify a >$500.oo IEM.. Can you?

Peace

Top Bottom