• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Florida International Audio Expo 2023

MacCali

Major Contributor
This was my first ever audio show last year. It was pleasant and really enjoyed it, I am assuming this year will be better for certain as a few exhibitors, half a dozen or so, backed out last minute which was unfortunate. The crowd was very nice too, social and friendly something I like to see.

However, I am winding up for axpona, capitol audio fest and the paris audio show this year so I will have to pass. Dont have that much time to spend on vacations just yet.

But I definitely highly recommend it. Not huge with headphones, but there were a good number of demo units of quality cans. Predominantly stereo focused

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd love one of these audio shows that compared some flagships from companies that do well here... Kii, D&D, Genelec, and maybe Neumann.
I have never seen Genlec/Neumann, etc. at these shows. To go where pro users hang out (AES, NAMM, etc.) I have seen Kii there frequently. And I assume D&D attends some as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However, I am winding up for axpona, capitol audio fest and the paris audio show this year so I will have to pass. Dont have that much time to spend on vacations just yet.
I think AXPONA will remain the larges hi-fi audio show. All others are considered "regional" and don't get nearly as much attendance (vendors or visitors).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got word that as of Thur there was only one of the 73 vendor rooms left available, IE a Sold Out show.
Don't hold me to it, but the rumor is Andrew Jones may be there to discuss the new MoFi Speakers ?

I'll be there as usual. Tip, be prepared to take the stairs.
My plan has been to take the elevator to the top floor and use the stairs coming down. ;)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My son and I went to the first two shows in 2019 and 2020, skipped last year. I'm very happy with my system (speakers, headphones and electronics) and have zero plans to change anything. We enjoyed the shows but I just cannot find a reason to go anymore... We went to Bella's Italian Cafe after both that we attended. Very good Italian and pizza.

It's the same with car magazines. I subscribed to and read Automobile, Autoweek, Car & Driver, and Motor Trend cover to cover. Since I bought my Porsche I seem to have lost interest in them. I'm letting the subscriptions lapse.

I guess I stop seeking when I'm happy.

Martin

PS: Carver amps were at the shows we attended. Also saw some real sleazy snake oil salesmen.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No problem.
I alway enjoy hooking up with old friends and making new ones at the shows.
Hit many in Chicago area when I was there for years, now the first 2 in Tampa
Missed last year due to health issues, hoping for better days this Feb.
Also to get a lot of photos for my ASR friends.
Best to all.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I think AXPONA will remain the larges hi-fi audio show. All others are considered "regional" and don't get nearly as much attendance (vendors or visitors).
I think capital audio fest is up there too. Or it may just be location wise good attendance.

Was going to go to the Munich high end as that one seems readily advertised. However my girlfriend wants to go to France so we can two for one it

MacCali

Major Contributor
My son and I went to the first two shows in 2019 and 2020, skipped last year. I'm very happy with my system (speakers, headphones and electronics) and have zero plans to change anything. We enjoyed the shows but I just cannot find a reason to go anymore... We went to Bella's Italian Cafe after both that we attended. Very good Italian and pizza.

It's the same with car magazines. I subscribed to and read Automobile, Autoweek, Car & Driver, and Motor Trend cover to cover. Since I bought my Porsche I seem to have lost interest in them. I'm letting the subscriptions lapse.

Martin

PS: Carver amps were at the shows we attended. Also saw some real sleazy snake oil salesmen.
Plenty of those man. Snake oil guys are so funny, I kept going back to one room cause they had magico speakers and the item was so dumb it was like a strange looking metallic ball that just sat in the center between the speaker can’t even remember what it’s called.

Same guy was at axpona. Was really hilarious, super over priced. I swear you can get someone to CNC it for you for probably 200 tops

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JStewart

Forum Donor
Thanks for the heads up. Minutes from my home.

Checked exhibitor list hoping to see/hear Perlisten speakers that have caught my attention. But sadly not on list.

Anyone planning to attend, happy to share info on local spots to check out. Lots happening in Tampa Bay.

Perlisten is now on the exhibitors list for two rooms.

Seems that Perlisten is using some Satori woofers
I own some ADS French speakers with the Great Heil ESS AMT3 / Satori Egyptian Papyrus woofers = splendid to listen to, absolutely sensational timbres

Checkout my project :

PerListen manufactures all of their own drivers in their own factory. They are not Satori. They do not outsource anything.

MacCali

Major Contributor
PerListen manufactures all of their own drivers in their own factory. They are not Satori. They do not outsource anything.
Everything seems accurate here, but you may have missed the fact they’re made in china and designed here. I can’t talk about the drivers themselves as I am not sure where they are made. But accordingly this is how they keep prices low

danielsmi

This is a few minutes from me, seems I'd be crazy not to go. I've never been to an audio show before

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a few minutes from me, seems I'd be crazy not to go. I've never been to an audio show before
It will be fun. As a minimum you will hear a bunch of well recorded music.

danielsmi

Oh damn will someone be selling SACDs there?

What I've heard about audio shows is that these companies setup super expensive systems in less than ideal rooms with no acoustic treatment and it leaves much to be desired.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Oh damn will someone be selling SACDs there?

What I've heard about audio shows is that these companies setup super expensive systems in less than ideal rooms with no acoustic treatment and it leaves much to be desired.
Honestly as someone in his infancy stage with audio, and only two shows in the repertoire.

90% of the rooms won’t be ideal, and it’s not the lack of those things you mentioned. It’s strictly the equipment

Cause 10% in the very same rooms sound wicked good. Don’t think you can blame the room under these circumstances.

I experienced this at axpona and Florida AS, it’s just nice. Price wise is great and you meet a nice crowd of people. It’s overall a worth experience to basically sample different experiences and get an idea of what the market has to offer.

Top Bottom