• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Floorstanding Speakers nearfield

panther

Has anyone tried using tower speakers in a nearfield to midfield setup. I’d like to not have speakers on my desk in my office. I know I could go with various mount options from the wall or stands but I’m wondering if just getting some floor standing speakers would be an option. My room is 13’ x 13’ and I would be around 3-5 feet away at most. I guess it would also really depend on what speakers I go with. I have Adam a5x right now but I’m giving them to my wife’s setup.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coaxial-based designs would be the safe bet.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
As long as the tweeter and midrange are about equal the same distance to your ear you should be fine (i.e. It's best if the tweeter and midrange are close together). If the angle with the drivers and your ears creates too much of a difference you might have "phase issues" when the soundwaves combine at the crossover frequency. And when you are close, you are likely to more if a difference when you stand-up or sit-down. You might want to angle the speakers at you (most important for the tweeters which are usually more directional).

behappybevegan

I've had towers in a small room. Distance about 1.5m.
Positioning was critical. Couldn't move too much left/right or the stereo balance was gone.
Then again the same thing happens with my non-tower speakers.

Plus the tweeter was a bit too high.
Also had to turn the bass down if I wanted to play loud.
Overall it worked out very well.

Looking for bigger speakers again.
Smaller speakers don't give me the same kick.

OP
P

panther

Decided to stay with active speakers, ordered some Acoustic Energy AE1 for now. May just have 2 systems in the room at some point with a cheap tower setup just for kicks.

Top Bottom