• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Floorstanding Mid-Fi Speaker Recommendation with high WAF

sal

Forum Donor
I have a set of AE309s that I love in Walnut. I have not heard any bad reviews of them (for what that is worth). But from personal experience, they need a sub. Don't know if that's a deal breaker or not for you. They are in you price range though, and my wife loves the look of them.

{edit} I should say, in a large room they need a sub. The bass drivers are a short excursion, probably do not move a lot of air. They probably test fine near-field in the bass department, but I found them lacking bass in a large room.

https://www.excelia-hifi.cz/acoustic-energy/test/acoustic-energy-ae309-hifi_world_09_18.pdf

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's going to be the Wharfedales. They seem to have the best mixture of WAF, price and measurements. Many thanks for all of your input. I will feed back.

If you haven't already chosen,.you might want to take a look at the Focal Chora 816 and 826. They're quite affordable and Look nice if you don't mind boxy. I haven't seen measurements for the larger models, but the smaller one measures well (nearly identical to the Aria) They seem to be available for £899 and £1,099 a pair in the UK, respectively.

1616785519458.png

I have the 806 in this color. One thing to keep in mind if you consider them is that the white is actually a slight off-white, which I like but you should be aware of.

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Deary me no. The proportions are not ... right. That black top is screaming for an ornament or pot-plant! The most important thing to remember about WAF is that you never quite know what will fly.

This.

I already have a pair of Q-Acoustic Concept 40s. While I love their sound, they are unfortunately WAF--

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
View attachment 120367
Reference 3A Grand Veena in Gloss Maple
My wife loved the wood! Bonus is they are terrific sounding full-range speakers. Replace the spikes with knurled knobs from Lowes threaded for 3/8 by 16 tpi and install some threads. No shiny spikes to look at and they will not mar any surface.

Juuuuuuust a bit too deep. Also not availlable in white. If I would be a bachelor though, I would get them in a jiffy. Amazing looking things.

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
If you haven't already chosen,.you might want to take a look at the Focal Chora 816 and 826. They're quite affordable and Look nice if you don't mind boxy. I haven't seen measurements for the larger models, but the smaller one measures well (nearly identical to the Aria) They seem to be available for £899 and £1,099 a pair in the UK, respectively.

View attachment 120486

I have the 806 in this color. One thing to keep in mind if you consider them is that the white is actually a slight off-white, which I like but you should be aware of.
Unfortunately a thumbs down due to the veneer. I know. It's not easy, but at least she lets me have a new set.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately a thumbs down due to the veneer. I know. It's not easy, but at least she lets me have a new set.

I was at someone's place a couple years ago, and their solution to this exact problem was to sew "hoods" to fit over the speakers, halfway between loose and tight, floor to top, out of some kind of cotton weave to match the sofa pillows. Sounds crazy, but in that particular style of shabby-chic room the visual effect was great, and the sound didn't seem to suffer at all.

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I was at someone's place a couple years ago, and their solution to this exact problem was to sew "hoods" to fit over the speakers, halfway between loose and tight, floor to top, out of some kind of cotton weave to match the sofa pillows. Sounds crazy, but in that particular style of shabby-chic room the visual effect was great, and the sound didn't seem to suffer at all.

What a cool idea. I will make a careful, exploratory request for consideration!

iann

And how do they sound? Did they manage to integrate the tweeter?
I think they sound great. Excellent midrange and treble (as far as I can tell, am old too).

Have just got a MiniDSP and REW for EQ adjusting and integrating a subwoofer which has helped in better bass in room.

Chinquapin

I am an old man, so I I have an issues with full range speakers: their treble is often lacking (as is their bass). If I would go for one of these, I would probably chosse Electricbeach Audio's floorstander, as they include a small ribbon tweeter on top (http://electricbeachaudio.com/).
6.5” Mark Audio driver in a larger than average cabinet. This speaker has remarkably deep bass.

Chinquapin

Most metal cone drivers from Mark Audio and E J Jordan sound a bit bright to my 67 year old ears with a slight bump around 17.5kHz.

Top Bottom