• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Floorstanding for Rear Surrounds

Any advantage to using floorstanding speakers for the rear surrounds? If so, would you use the same model as front speakers?

I currently have Focal Aria 936's in the front and 906's in the back, even though the 948's only have ~10% more driver (two 8" vs three 6") surface area and 1Hz lower extension (38Hz vs 39Hz) I want to get them to put in for the front left/right and move the 936's to the rear surrounds. Though should I just save my money all together or match by getting another pair of 936's? Don't have any quadraphonic music but I wonder too what is preferred there.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Any advantage to using floorstanding speakers for the rear surrounds?
What are you listening to? Discrete or synthesized surround sound. Music or movies?
If so, would you use the same model as front speakers?
Ideally but not necessarily. I use floorstanders for my surrounds (not rear surrounds) but, although they are similar to the fronts, they are not identical.

OP
R
Movies is my primary use mode by far >95%. Will likely shoot for identical with another pair of the ~smaller 936 given cost savings, distance away from the speakers and I can't really crank things when 100% of my use is after the kids go to bed. I am excited for another pair of SVS PC-4000's though again it is likely wasted with my use case at the moment (only me watching the movie, and not being able to turn up the volume). You know how it is though, once you get in idea in your head...

Top Bottom