• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Floor-standing under $3k?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What should be on my list for floor-standing full-range passive loudspeakers for every-day music listening? Budget is $3000 USD.

Local dealer is steering me towards Paradigm Prestige 75F. Until the end of the year they are $2400. (Next model up 85F is $200 over budget.)

Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature II seems interesting from what I've read. Closest dealer is a long way away.

?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Anything from Harmann or KEF which you can get for under $3k. There are others, but offhand those come to mind. [I have KEF LS50's. If you really like the $85F or whatever don't let $200 stop you. It's not hard to spend that much on dinner.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
USA? I keep pushing the KEF R-series towers at A4L. Figure they're all well engineered & built, and anything at $800 per speaker on up is reasonably full-range. The x00 models are the previous generation.

Some of the prices are a bit weird, no? A 55% increase from refurb R700 to refurb R7 seems a bit rich! OTOH, who wouldn't spend $100 for a new R900? Maybe it's a supply issue, but it's definitely not consistent.

Mtbf

I like the new Dynaudio Evoke range very much. The Evoke 30 floorstanders are a little above your limit, but a bit negotiating won’t hurt.
Its predecessor, the Excite can still be found at discount prices and is also pretty good. Owned them.

https://www.dedicatedaudio.com/coll...o-excite-x34-floor-standing-loudspeakers-pair

And you could have a look at Monitoraudio‘s Silver line, also pretty good. The 300‘s and even the 500‘s are below your limit.

https://www.dedicatedaudio.com/collections/monitor-audio/products/monitor-audio-silver-10

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I heard the then current Model 2c in the mid 80's. The sound was full range and open and airy or spacious. Those speakers imaged well. The thing is how much space do these need from the wall behind them, the front wall, with the rear firing 10" woofer? Did you look at the downloadable manual? Is your room big enough for 29 to 32 Hz frequencies? Do you have means to reduce mode peaks? Do you already have a sub woofer to use with the Paradigms?

I'd say that dealer, Ovation Audio in Pittsburgh had a decent listening space at the time. They have long since been out of business.

OTOH, I have no idea how the Paradigms sound. So, how far is a long way away?

garbulky

Major Contributor
1. $200 is only 6% over budget.
2. I imagine you'll be getting everybody's favorite speakers. :) My value favorites are the Emotiva T2 speakers. They are really good not to mention one third the price. If you like things big and loud and lively, the big speakers from Tekton Audio sound great though perhaps slightly lacking in subtle details.
3. The Vandersteens I heard were muddy, rolled off, and not too great.

Aprude51

Measurements on the Paradigm Prestige line are not the best: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

In general, Paradigm speakers don’t measure that well and are overpriced IMO.

There’s a pretty thorough discussion of the available options in this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-speaker-one-can-find-for-2-500-or-less.6139/

The Revel F206 are some of the best measuring speakers money can buy (that’s what the person who started the above thread ended up buying). They are a bit outside your price range when new ($3500), but are often available used in excellent condition for ~$2250.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another high recommendation here for the Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers. However if you’re interested in the Revel F206 as an option, I have a pair on the way and will be blind testing the Revel F206 vs Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers. (The Revel‘s MSRP is higher, but I’ve heard of some people who were able to negotiate it to a similar price as the Ascends.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Revel Concerta 2 F36 speakers. About $2k a pair. Or splurge for the $3500/pair F206.

I've heard and known people who own the Vandersteen 2CE. Not bad speakers, but not up to modern standards. The F36 will smoke them.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Europe, on top of Kef and a few others, any Focal Aria.
I have a pair of 906 and 948 and am pretty happy with them.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-aria-936-loudspeaker-measurements
There are measurements floating around fir the 906, but I can't find them back.
Maybe @VintageFlanker has them at hand...
EDIT: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
906 are more bookshelf type though (even if on the big side)
My original post, few months back:

No doubt: The Aria 948s are definitely the bigger of the line.
These ones are very probably my next floorstandings purchase. In France, the pair became incredibly cheap these last months. The cheapest offering was 1398€/pair during Summer Sales... Far away from the $4999 retail price I saw in US.

I would say the entire Aria line mesures good. Here are some FR graphs for the 948s:

- From AUDIO, DE:
Screenshot_20191006-212349_Drive.jpg

- From Audio Video, RU:
Screenshot_20191006-212122_Drive.jpg

- From Stereo Prestige Image, FR:
Screenshot_20191006-212918_Drive.jpg

Sure, the 906 are definitely bookshelf. 948 are also quite big towers.

Still, I'm afraid prices in US are way higher. Listed price for 948 would be more likely 4000-4999$.

Willem

Major Contributor
How about the alternative of standmount speakers plus dual small subwoofers? Locate the main speakers for best stereo image and convenience, and the subs for best deep bass. SVS even gives you a small discount if you buy two of their SB1000s. This should leave you $2000+ for some excellent small main speakers. I tried my Harbeth P3ESRs with a sub, and the sound was breathtakingly realistic (but not for a really large room).

MarcT

Forum Donor
The new Wharfedale EVO line, with AMT tweeters, is getting some good buzz. This is the top of the line EVO 4.4. These go for $2k/pair.

1574441207184.png

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the alternative of standmount speakers plus dual small subwoofers? Locate the main speakers for best stereo image and convenience, and the subs for best deep bass. SVS even gives you a small discount if you buy two of their SB1000s. This should leave you $2000+ for some excellent small main speakers. I tried my Harbeth P3ESRs with a sub, and the sound was breathtakingly realistic (but not for a really large room).

I’d be interested to know what sub you use, I have p3esrs and am considering this.

dkinric

I’d be interested to know what sub you use, I have p3esrs and am considering this.
Not Willem, but I would also highly recommend this as an ideal setup. I have two of the Martin Logan Dynamo 800x. Not the cheapest, but you get built in Anthem DSP for room correction, and they are only about a foot cubed and very unobtrusive in the down firing orientation.
Highly recommended.

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/category/powered-subwoofers
1574443261149.png

Top Bottom