• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Flare audio calmer

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's an earplug with a hole in it. The rest is advertising.

E.g., FUD:
The World Health Organisation published evidence (2018) that unpleasant, loud or disruptive noise contributes to raised stress levels, a multitude of health issues and even increased risk of premature death.

Calmer’s technology is informed by research from Newcastle University and the Welcome Trust Centre for Neuro-imaging at UCL, which reported in the Journal of Neuroscience that many of the most unpleasant sounds, such as the scraping of a knife against a bottle, fall in the mid frequency range of about 2 kHz to 5 kHz.

Our ears have evolved to alert us to stress by adding over 20 dB of mid-range resonance, which destroys our ability to hear high definition sound or relax in our modern noisy world. This is known as HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function).
Edit: I realize I should explain at least a little. The three sentences above take a few unrelated pieces of data and arrange them such that the product seems to make sense.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Edit: I realize I should explain at least a little. The three sentences above take a few unrelated pieces of data and arrange them such that the product seems to make sense.
My edit: I realize I should explain at least a little. The three sentences above take a few unrelated pieces of data and arrange them such that the product only seems to make sense. In addition, the first sentence of the last paragraph is specious with regard to hearing high definition sound.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The sensitivity in the kHz region is part of the reason we can localize (particularly vertically). If it is attenuated deliberately, you might also have problems hearing percussive consonants (p,t) and fricatives (f,v).

OP
B

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the input guys.
percussive consonants (p,t) and fricatives (f,v)
What are thoe thing? Are those thing related to knowing the direction of sound?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks for the input guys.

What are thoe thing? Are those thing related to knowing the direction of sound?
Those are linguistics terms for consonant sounds.

L5730

For £2 including international shipping from some online marketplace, worth giving them a go to see what difference it makes.
For £19.99 (inc. shipping) I can't help but feel that something is a miss.

OP
B

bigjacko

That is what I think too. If they did not do much r&d, the raw cost of those would be less than 10 cents per a pair, they can get so much money because people think it is cheap and willing to try. That is nasty commercial strategy.

Reed

I just placed an order for these. I lost a portion of my ear (anti tragus) to skin cancer and it affected my hearing by reducing mids and highs to that ear but only when listening to speakers. I kept thinking something was wrong with my equipment. Everything sounds balanced and correct with headphones and IEMs. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Then one day I cupped my hand behind my affected ear and boom, perfect imaging and balance. Headphones and IEMs direct sound straight in with a reduced reliance on the outer ear to "catch" and direct sound. I'll post results.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I just placed an order for these. I lost a portion of my ear (anti tragus) to skin cancer and it affected my hearing by reducing mids and highs to that ear but only when listening to speakers. I kept thinking something was wrong with my equipment. Everything sounds balanced and correct with headphones and IEMs. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Then one day I cupped my hand behind my affected ear and boom, perfect imaging and balance. Headphones and IEMs direct sound straight in with a reduced reliance on the outer ear to "catch" and direct sound. I'll post results.
No way to replace it with a medical procedure?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an earplug with a hole in it. The rest is advertising.

E.g., FUD:

I share your skepticism, but I know a few people who are amazed by the tinnitus improvement, something they didn't design in. I've been intrigued.

BigJim79

I like them as a company. Their R2 series IEMs were ahead of the curve when released, fantastic sounding. I don't think they released Calmer specifically for tinnitus, it was only because of a few users who suffered said they helped.
Their Jets IEMs however aren't great, massive flex hence I returned mine.

Reed

No way to replace it with a medical procedure?
I've thought about surgery. Maybe down the road I'll talk to a plastic surgeon. Not sure I want to put myself through that again though. I've also considered duct taping a piece of cardboard to my chair at an angle. A piece of cardboard against the chair at an angle does work, it's just an inelegant solution.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've thought about surgery. Maybe down the road I'll talk to a plastic surgeon.
If it doesn't bother you when not listening to music is there some sort of prosthetic that could be made, and artificial ear?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My company is just about to announce a superior product - The Fricative Fryer !!

It will make Rickie Lee Jones sound like you never heard her before!

Top Bottom