• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FLAC & SoX - Who will maintain the code?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My most important programs. There has been no development of FLAC for 5 years and SoX is over 7 years old. Are there forks that are more up to date?

OP
K

kchap

Forum Donor
OP
K

kchap

Forum Donor
Is there some bug you're hoping to get fixed, or are you just addicted to updates?
Very direct:) I had seen your name in reference to a special fork of SoX to convert DSD to PCM but failed to realise that you are involved in the SoX project.

When I wrote the post I was concerned that a lack of a recent build might indicate that that the project had been abandoned. My fears have been allayed; I hope!

Cheers

bennetng

Major Contributor
Recently, FLAC is being actively developed and v1.4.2 is released yesterday. Posting issues in the the links below and the developers will get notified.
You can also find some specific binaries with speed optimizations for different CPUs. One major breaking change of v1.4.x is 32-bit integer support, older hard/software may not be able to decode these files.

nsfgp

Recently, FLAC is being actively developed and v1.4.2 is released yesterday. Posting issues in the the links below and the developers will get notified.
You can also find some specific binaries with speed optimizations for different CPUs. One major breaking change of v1.4.x is 32-bit integer support, older hard/software may not be able to decode these files.
Exactly. Going from Foobar 1.6.12 to 1.6.13(w/ libFLAC 1.4.1) confirmed this with my 32bit integer(fixed-point) test files.

benedictjohannes

Is there some bug you're hoping to get fixed, or are you just addicted to updates?

May I suggest SoX to release new versions? The changes in SourceForge repo looks quite significant, such as fixes to MP3 ID3 tagging.

I'd also suggest to include the DSD capabilities into mainline SoX, as the first entry in Google search of sox dsd is an article that reviews test results of SoX-DSD, which helpfully point to a binary downloadable folder that is also the second entry in the Google search.
I observed that the SourceForge's mainline SoX repository has not included the necessary files for DSD conversion, such as dsf.c found in https://github.com/mansr/sox/tree/master/src.
I was hoping that the DSD-enhanced SoX can make its way to the main repository and be released. This would allow the published SoX to be included in, for instance, Rygel's playbin via pipes. That would make a fully open source Linux headless DLNA renderer with PCM-to-DSD conversion possible. Alas it's not possible to do for now (the binary version I tried failed to pipe to pw-dsdplay).

I have no ABX proof, but trying DSD files converted using SoX-DSD sounds better on my setup. Not as big a difference compared to HQPlayer, but still better than unconverted PCM.

Top Bottom