• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fixing Hum/Buzz issues with Schiit Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier

Grattle

Hmmm. You say:

View attachment 14665

Really? They released a product with both performance and safety issues and you thought to thank them? And not the folks who pointed out the problem?

If you had a car that steering wheel would vibrate because there was a danger of a wheel breaking free, after the hassle of taking it to the dealer to get it fixed, you would post online that you are thankful?

Why are you trying to control what someone says? Who the hell are you to speak to someone this way?

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Why are you trying to control what someone says? Who the hell are you to speak to someone this way?

I see the trolls have come out of the ground lmao

Grattle

I see the trolls have come out of the ground lmao

No, I'm not trolling. I don't like it when someone tries to enforce group think. I enjoy this site and mostly just lurk. The post I quoted stuck in my craw. The post I am referring to looked like someone was just being bitter because they didn't get a "Thank you" as well. It's never wrong to be polite to those you are dealing with, and when a company does what they should do, that behavior should be reinforced, not penalized.

FWIW - I'm not a Schiit Schiil either. I just sold off almost all of my Schiit gear.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Seems like your post (and the next) are examples of what you abhor.

Grattle

Seems like your post (and the next) are examples of what you abhor.

I'm sorry, could you elaborate? I'm not seeing how what I said is pushing someone to think as I do.

Edit: Are you referring to positive reinforcement for politeness? Are you saying it's wrong to send encouragement for good behavior?

Thank you.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm sorry, could you elaborate? I'm not seeing how what I said is pushing someone to think as I do.

Edit: Are you referring to positive reinforcement for politeness? Are you saying it's wrong to send encouragement for good behavior?

Thank you.
What amir was saying is that he has been doing the testing here and revealing the flaws (and often also writing up how to fix them) and this person went to thank Schiit for fixing a problem that they originally denied existed?

The point is that you shouldn't be thanking people for doing their jobs right. Especially when they have been doing them wrong and endangering people's lives this whole time.
That isn't at all the same as "group think"

Grattle

@amirm was upset that someone thanked Schiit for addressing an issue he found. That's all there is too it, and it's petty.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
@amirm was upset that someone thanked Schiit for addressing an issue he found. That's all there is too it, and it's petty.
@Grattle its seems like you're trying to make a point of some kind, but I'll be honest with you; its not adding anything to the discussion. We're all equal here; if people have views or information to share, or differences of opinion backed with logical points/facts that they feel add value to the discussion, then it makes for a great community; policing what others are saying and making inappropriate statements towards them does not.

In some countries, these kinds of design faults and safety issues would lead the products to be pulled from the market under instruction from the authorities.

A design flaw is different from a manufacturing fault. Design can and must be done correctly upfront. Manufacturing faults are bound to happen, even in the most high quality production facilities. In the case of manufacturing or component faults, we can then thank the manufacturer for fixing the problem in an efficient and convenient manner.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Thank you.

This (below) is not what I would call "positive reinforcement", and I did not take Amir's comments as controlling, but clearly opinions vary.

Grattle said:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am stating what he said in this situation is inappropriate. You are saying the same, by saying what I said was inappropriate. The difference is that as was noted, this can be a serious safety issue. The manufacturer needs to get maximum pressure to fix it if so. Not being thanked for just responding on another forum. I am not sure what usefulness your comment has with respect to the situation at hand: fixing the safety and performance problem with rather high-volume product.

hutt132

Tested out my Jot's top shell with my multimeter and shockingly enough it wasn't grounded either. The bottom chassis part was grounded, though.

I scratched off the paint on the top and inside of the thin keyhole slot, but the pins from the shell would not make contact. I had to wrap a thin piece of copper wire around a pin on the shell and slot it in for it to make contact.

selvakumar

HI all and admin my unit produce click sound while switching between inputs and low gain and high gain my schiit Jotunheim comes with AKM 4490 Dac need every ones help to fix it and i already checked the grounding issue in the upper case and volume knob but there is no hum

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have you contacted Schiit support first ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
HI all and admin my unit produce click sound while switching between inputs and low gain and high gain my schiit Jotunheim comes with AKM 4490 Dac need every ones help to fix it and i already checked the grounding issue in the upper case and volume knob but there is no hum

So if you turn volume down before making any switch, is it still loud through headphones? No clicks whilst actually playing stuff?

I'd leave well alone and just turn down before changing inputs/ gain.

nodiophile

Just to add to this age old thread. I have the shiit saga that is buzzing. The buzzing is clearly audible through the speakers. Fist I thought it was the transformer, but is wasn't. Then i thought it is the grounding, but it wasn't. Then i noticed the buzzing was gone when i turned the volume to max and i knew what it is. It is the relay-based attenuator. The relays are controlled with 0 to 5 volt using an alps pot. The relays are buzzing when off and this is introduced into the audio. Nice! Gonna find a solution for this. Might just remove the relays and replace the pot with a 100k log and wire the audio directly from the pot.

Top Bottom