• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fixing and improving the menu toolbar for posting on ASR?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Last year, an update to the forum software broke some editor menu features and so I discussed with @amirm and he asked that I seek some member feedback before he fixes.

There are at least 3 known issues. One is the missing ordered list feature; one other is missing all list options for the Android toolbar and the third is inconsistent presentation between devices. There may be others. As you likely are aware, the forum software adapts the toolbar to your browser. Notably, it is difficult to fit the same set of features on a cellphone as you would on a computer monitor. However, ideally you would expect the mobile view to be a comparable subset of the monitor view. Currently, they are rather poor equivalents IMO. Amir also pointed out that the posting and conversation toolbars are different. For now, am going to focus on the posting toolbar as it is more highly utilized.

For example, here is a pic of the editor toolbar when using an iPad in landscape mode...

ASR toolbar on ipad.jpeg

Compared to the toolbar in Windows 10, this is pretty sparse. Moreover, it does not have to be as you can see there is plenty of space for more feature icons. Just for reference, here it is:

ASR forum toolbar.png

The post editor toolbar varies features based on 4 levels of resolution. Amir suggested we start with the desktop monitor one. If you want to know the full set of potential features, see here: https://xenforo.com/community/help/bb-codes/

Microsoft does a lot of work on Windows user experience, so, here is the toolbar from their forum for comparison:

microsoft forum toolbar.png

Have to forgo the heading levels as Xenforo does not support.

Ofc, Apple is known for user experience, so thought it interesting to include one from their forum too...

1643856836149.png

So, enough for this initial post and realize it should get a poll to go along with it. Let's get some initial conversation started while I consider the poll structure.

For starters:
  • Aside from the NLA ordered list feature, please share anything else that may still be broken from before last year's software update?
  • Indicate whether you prefer the Microsoft-style toolbar or the Apple one? Or maybe another? Maybe you are happy with the current toolbar?
  • Please keep in mind that we will consider the mobile toolbar presentation once we have direction for the desktop. Ofc, with lower resolutions, the mobile toolbar is likely to be a subset of the desktop one.
Thanks!

Rick

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I'm happy with the current toolbar when I'm using my laptop (Firefox on Windows 10). I'd also be fine with the Microsoft-style toolbar.

As you point out it is frustrating to comment on ASR when using my iPad or my iPhone; it's such a limited set of formatting options. (e.g., you can't even use bullets.)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm happy with the current toolbar when I'm using my laptop (Firefox on Windows 10). I'd also be fine with the Microsoft-style toolbar.

As you point out it is frustrating to comment on ASR when using my iPad or my iPhone; it's such a limited set of formatting options. (e.g., you can't even use bullets.)

Thanks Rick!

I think splitting the diff might be a good compromise. Use Microsoft features for larger displays and Apple-like features for the smaller ones. Do not know if Android needs any special consideration as all I have is an older Fire tablet. Agree the iPad could be much better. Hopefully @LTig will help out with his Android experiences.

My first poll may be to try to figure out the distribution of folks using computers vs tablets vs phones.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
My first poll may be to try to figure out the distribution of folks using computers vs tablets vs phones.
That info would be incredibly helpful. Although Amir may have access to that if the site is using Google Analytics? That tool provides detailed stats on browsers, OSes, location, etc.

For myself my usage is probably ...
  • 90% laptop (Windows 10)
  • 5% iPad
  • 5% iPhone
In all cases using Firefox.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That info would be incredibly helpful. Although Amir may have access to that if the site is using Google Analytics? That tool provides detailed stats on browsers, OSes, location, etc.

• 5% iPad
  • 5% iPhone

Good point on the website analytics. I will check.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

• I am replying on my IPad Pro.
  • Bullet format is available to me?
  • Maybe only for the Pro version?
  • I have a regular iPad I can try later.
  • Just FYI not disagreeing with you here.

AdamG

Forum Donor

• 5% iPad
  • 5% iPhone
  • As a Mod my usage is 100% IPad Pro.
  • Only used a Laptop during initial testing and credential verification.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
You are correct sir! I just went back to test:
  • No bullet formatting available on my iPhone (Firefox)
  • I do have the option I for bullets on my iPad, which I’m typing on now.
I guess ASR tech is just too bleeding edge: it doesn’t support old guys like me who still use iPhones. :p

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What settings are available in the forum software to control these features? I guess the main issue is the room available for the editor on the screen. Doesn’t scaling the browser window on the desktop reveal the same more limited editor as on a mobile device? If so, imthese things are probably easily fixed with a few css tweaks.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What settings are available in the forum software to control these features? I guess the main issue is the room available for the editor on the screen. Doesn’t scaling the browser window on the desktop reveal the same more limited editor as on a mobile device? If so, imthese things are probably easily fixed with a few css tweaks.

From what I understand, there is a configuration gui to set which features show at each resolution (and which order they are presented).

Amir has agreed to deal with the how, he just asked that we help determine what we prefer to have shown.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, ok. I personally don’t care to much for lists. Most annoying on phones is that emoticons are only available as a secondary menu options. You use those more often than images for instance.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

We lost ordered lists (like numbered bullets) in the last forum update.

Let me know if your iPad Pro toolbar (landscape orientation) is different than the iPad one I posted. Thanks!

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes please and thank you.

desktop / laptop...Windows...1366x768

(1) image + URL

Previously, whether image attachment or URL, selecting the image and mouse-over near the bottom caused a pop-up menu with 3 buttons, one being to add a link/URL to the image. It disappeared. And when the image was selected, the Link button behaved accordingly, the URL you entered was applied to the image, iow the URL= tag around the IMG tag.
Eventually, I found out how to switch to "visible BBcode mode"...

...and btw, it does support HEADING 1, 2, 3 tags. I discovered it today, fiddling with large Bold text copy-pasted from elsewhere because selecting it and [remove format] doesn't work like it did before, does not remove format...when I switched to BBcode mode, I saw that it had HEADING tags around it.

(2) Then you get to the PM editor and find that the emoticon button disappeared, you have to do a 2-step each time - click the More button to get to the emoticon button.
...no matter, though; all that's really needed is to type a standard smiley. :)

:) And if Mr. Rees-Mogg were here, I'd ask for his support in demanding that Xenforo stop removing double spaces after full stops.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently my usage is this:
- 80% Android 11 tablet 10" with duckduckgo browser
- 10% Android 6 smartphone 5.5" with duckduckgo browser
- 10% Linux pc with KDE and firefox
I really miss the bullets.

AdamG

Forum Donor
We lost ordered lists (like numbered bullets) in the last forum update.

Let me know if your iPad Pro toolbar (landscape orientation) is different than the iPad one I posted. Thanks!
Here is what I get on the Pro:

66CF197B-470D-45F0-9931-0B4157379705.jpeg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here's what I get:

1643931163020.png

No complaints at all. What's missing for me? Took a little getting used to, but overall it's better than it was before.

(PC Win10, FireFox)

I only read the odd ASR post on my phone and certainly don't try to type technical replies on tiny touch screens.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is how it looks on my 10" tablet, in portrait and landscape view:
Edit: the portrait mode is also what I see on the 5.5" smartphone.

Screenshot_20220204-013521~2.png

I'd rather prefer to have a bullet list menu with indentation than the alignment menu shown above.

Screenshot_20220204-013152~2.png

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's what I get:

View attachment 183988

No complaints at all. What's missing for me? Took a little getting used to, but overall it's better than it was before.

(PC Win10, FireFox)

I only read the odd ASR post on my phone and certainly don't try to type technical replies on tiny touch screens.
Thanks John!

Only missing ordered lists. I use quite a bit. Apple clearly thinks they are useful as they have even with a very limited feature set.

I think Amir wants to know how many folks may be happy with status quo. Know a lot of folks that do not like change even if it might be an ”improvement”. Am also more in favor of mainly fixing things that are really broke.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thanks John!

Only missing ordered lists. I use quite a bit. Apple clearly thinks they are useful as they have even with a very limited feature set.

I think Amir wants to know how many folks may be happy with status quo. Know a lot of folks that do not like change even if it might be an ”improvement”. Am also more in favor of mainly fixing things that are really broke.
I vote for adding number list. Can drop the paragraph alignment tool. JMHO.

Top Bottom