• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fix your RME ADI 2 - FS DAC sound.

morillon

Major Contributor
if the preamp is protected in dc .. is useless .. etc ..
just need to check...
;-)

tuga

Major Contributor
Yes
The goal of the filter is to protect against unwanted DC or very low frequencies that could damage your speakers.

Thanks.
I am using Direct DSD only and according to the manual "the digital DC filter of the AD chip only works in PCM mode, i.e. it is completely switched off in DSD mode".
I wasn't able to find the DCP (DC Protection) option in my DAC's settings. Maybe I need to upgrade the Firmware?

DonDish

Thanks.
I am using Direct DSD only and according to the manual "the digital DC filter of the AD chip only works in PCM mode, i.e. it is completely switched off in DSD mode".
I wasn't able to find the DCP (DC Protection) option in my DAC's settings. Maybe I need to upgrade the Firmware?
Maybe. There was some DC protection functionality added in one of the latest FW upgrades. If memory isnt failing that was one of the major upgrades for PRO/DAC

chris256

Thanks for pointing out this completely strange default feature (using a filter as dc protection). I always thought: where have my 32 feet organ pipes gone? Now, they're here again. Let the amps off the leash (no problem at all for T+A A200 - it has an own dc monitoring)! Curtain up! Welcome to the middle of life!

tuga

Major Contributor
Maybe. There was some DC protection functionality added in one of the latest FW upgrades. If memory isnt failing that was one of the major upgrades for PRO/DAC

I've updated the firmware and found the DCP (DC Protection) settings. Cheers.

weme

EDIT:
I dont understand why despite dacmagic and RME having the same frequency response (and phase); differences at bass reproduction are so huge. Dacmagic is gravitational heavy, RME is just airy, empty.
Anyway if you have RME ADI-2 FS DAC, I strongly recomend to turn that rubish High Shelf filter at Digital DC Protection OFF by switching it to state: ON.
Thanks forum members, you saved my RME; its staying.

I have NAD C388 connected with cambridge and Elac speakers with yamaha subwoofer.
Some technical information about the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus by @RamiellDeAnn:
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz (±0.1dB) <- Steep filter disabled
Output impedance <50ohms
Output level (unbalanced) 2.1V rms
Audio output upsampling Fixed 24bit 192kHz

The XLR outputs and the Cinch outputs are each operated via bipolar electrolytic capacitors (470uF/16V || 100nF/100V). The outputs are therefore without DC voltage.
470uF are correctly (!) "completely overdimensioned": If there are no relevant voltage drops at a component, then there can be no relevant distortions. Furthermore, the phase shift is also irrelevant.

It is a pity that we do not have measurements of the phases.

RME ADI-2 DAC:
"Filter adds a special, smooth 1st order high pass ... which shows zero delay (latency), ... lower phase deviation as standard digital filters. ... a corner frequency of 7 Hz. ..."
(Firmware: FPGA 78, DSP 49 - 51, 04/2022, manual page 68, 73)

The reason for the poor bass could be a critical combination of:
1. Yamaha subwoofer
2. Your listening room
3. Phase shift of the RME ADI-2 DAC with "Digital DC Protection": filter
At the cut-off frequency of 7 Hz, a standard 1st order filter would have a phase shift of 45 °.

Does anyone have measurements of the phase for the Digital DC Protection: Filter setting and can post them here?
Unfortunately I do not have time to do it.

Last edited:

Rmar

RME has a very robust forum. They will give you very specific audio information about anything and everything RME. They are the single authoritative source for RME, including engineers from RME. If they can't fix it, it isn't broken.
The RME ADI-2 FS was a bit daunting and took me the better part of a year to get the muscle memory to know which of the three knobs to use to do what. Touch one and another half dozen or more options appear. The choices have real impact on the sound. Not like your run of the mill DAC. I am still deepening my understand of the significance of all the various functions as they have real significance. This DAC has turned my Heresy IV's from OK into incredible. Thank you RME!

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For @weme.

sshot-132.png

Top Bottom