• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fix Neumann KH 120 a or get new pair of KH 150 a (when i already own a KH 805)

benjaminicus

Hi there,

this Morning i walked by my trusted KH120A speakers and noticed a relatively low but noticeable sharp crackling sound coming from the tweeter of my left speaker.
I bought the pair in 2013 and had it powered on for 95% of the time as that's what i was recommended in order to avoid thermal aging.
Switching the output level from 94dB through to 114dB changed the noise pattern alternating back and forth in loudness and harshness.
The overall volume of the distortion is low but certainly irritating at the listening position so I'll have to get it fixed.

I need help on deciding what to do:
1. get the kh120 fixed (~-300€) but i wont know when the second speaker breaks...
2. 1. (~-300€) + sell the two kh120a (~+800€) and buy 2 KH 150a (~-3200€ -> -2700€)

The thing is I have a KH 805 Sub in front of my KH 120a pair and so i can't really benefit from the MA 1 DSP-Measurement in the bass range...

On one had i'd love to buy new monitors on the other hand i feel like i wont really have a good bang for the buck compared to the repair.
Help I'm so confused on what to do :S

Thanks for any advice :)
Benjamin

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Consider changing both tweeters out and you will have a great system for considerably less than replacement.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hi there,

this Morning i walked by my trusted KH120A speakers and noticed a relatively low but noticeable sharp crackling sound coming from the tweeter of my left speaker.
I bought the pair in 2013 and had it powered on for 95% of the time as that's what i was recommended in order to avoid thermal aging.
Switching the output level from 94dB through to 114dB changed the noise pattern alternating back and forth in loudness and harshness.
The overall volume of the distortion is low but certainly irritating at the listening position so I'll have to get it fixed.

1. get the kh120 fixed (~-300€) but i wont know when the second speaker breaks...
2. 1. (~-300€) + sell the two kh120a (~+800€) and buy 2 KH 150a (~-3200€ -> -2700€)

The thing is I have a KH 805 Sub in front of my KH 120a pair and so i can't really benefit from the MA 1 DSP-Measurement in the bass range...

On one had i'd love to buy new monitors on the other hand i feel like i wont really have a good bang for the buck compared to the repair.

Benjamin
Get the KH150 and be worry free for years

OP
B

benjaminicus

Hey there,

thanks a lot for your replies so far. I was hoping that all this might have been a bad dream but the noise just got worse so now the speaker is disconnected.
I'll probably fix the speaker just because i want to appreciate the service Neumann offers and i couldn't bear to just throw the speaker away... i bought them when i had very little money to spend on speakers.

I might at some point get a pair of the KH 150 and switch my KH 805 for a KH 750 dsp so i can make use of the MA1 (I'll probably start another thread on here to find out if that's possible).

I'll post on here how the repair service went, if it was electronics or the tweeter and also let you know when the second speaker acts up.

Best regards and thanks again
Ben

burninblack

Hi there‘s even a better possibility: Repair the 120‘s (let Neuman check the second one) and then switch only the 805 to 750. So you can use MA-1 for your hole system. If you don‘t need more spl or deeper bass from your 120, I would first check if the sound compared to the 150 is it worse to spend the amazing of money.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Kinda late to this party but I had the same crackling sound coming out of one of my Dynaudio BM5 MKIII speakers and it wasn’t the tweeter. It was a bad amp. I got a dented unit from Sweetwater at a highly discounted price, took the amp out, put it in my crackling sounding speaker and problem solved. Most likely the crackling sound is due to the amp and not the tweeter.

monx

Also posting late, but this was very likely a capacitors issue. Strange crackling noises in the tweeter. Probably more common in the early vintage (2012).

Some folks have repaired KH120 with new caps by themselves with good results.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi there,

Benjamin
I have a pair of 120's with a 750 and a pair of 310's. Yet, I am going to purchase a pair of 150's in January. How about if you fix the 120's and purchasing a pair of 150's? It seems that the 150's are remarkable.

D

Deleted member 4708

Echoing @teashea - KH 150 seem exceptional. If you can afford them go for it. They are also hot off the press so you will get a very long time support for them (flashy new toy :) ).

Top Bottom