• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First turntable - any suggestions?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Vinyl scratches a different itch than digital, so if you want a turntable then go for it and don't be put off :)

Recommendations so far are essentially: Rega P1+ or P2, Audio Technica AT-LP120 or going vintage. I'd say the key here is aesthetics and that you will be happiest with the TT that looks best to you. The new ones are certainly good enough, there's a bit more risk with vintage but if you want that 'vibe' then it's worth it.
Look at the Review Index here for a phono amp recommendation if your TT doesn't have one built in. I'd recommend just going with the built-in one if there is one and upgrading later if you find you are spending more time spinning vinyl.
Other makes (Pro-ject) are worth a look too but that really just complicates things: Rega or AT would be where I'd go, and I like the Rega look more but that's just me.

Enjoy :)

JeremyFife

Quick update/follow up: you also asked about cartridges ... that's a minefield (an enjoyable one if you are inclined). If you buy a decent new TT (Rega/AT) then the stock cartridge and stylus that come fitted will be perfectly fine.
Don't stress about this - just play some music and see how you like it. Otherwise you'll be swamped with options

If the vinyl bug bites then you can happily upgrade later.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there something that's good from pro-ject or rega?
I did not address this question; went down the AT path instead.

The Rega Planar 1 Plus has an integrated MM phonostage. You’d find this to be a great starter turntable, as well. Lots of great choices between the brands.

WDeranged

The only issue with the P1+ is that you can't bypass the integrated preamp. I found it a little bit dull sounding. In the end I returned the P1+ for the standard model.

Hi all, since a short while I've started to collect some vinyls because I'd like to display the albumcovers in my living room. And I would like to listen to them occasionally but own no equipment yet.

I have no knowledge of turntables, cartridges and phono pre-amps! So any advice to steer me in the right direction is welcome.

I will use the turntable or pre-amp output as input for my DSP active set-up (Motu Ultralite MK4).
Living in Europe, so any advice on secondhand stuff available here is much appreciated too!. I'd like to spend a maximum around €500.
I suggest you don't buy one. Good luck.

mike70

Some folks are no fun.

Indeed ... totally agree. Analog listening experience can be very satisfactory to many people, there's no only your way in life. Live and let live, man.

Indeed ... totally agree. Analog listening experience can be very satisfactory to many people, there's no only your way in life. Live and let live, man.
I'm not attacking, just trying to save the guy from what I think is a bad purchase. Spend the money on better sound, not worse...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on hoooopaaa, you really think a turntable is a wise buy nowadays?

Of course it is. If it appeals to someone. It’s not for nothing there’s a big resurgence in vinyl. If you read music/vinyl forums you’ll see tons of people absolutely thrilled after getting a turntable and records.

For me getting a good turntable truly reinvigorated my enjoyment with my two channel system listening. I’m having a ball.

YMMV of course as with anything in life.

WDeranged

To be fair vinyl isn't an easy road if you get hooked. Very rewarding as you start to figure it out though. Also expensive and frustrating.

Of course it is. If it appeals to someone. It’s not for nothing there’s a big resurgence in vinyl. If you read music/vinyl forums you’ll see tons of people absolutely thrilled after getting a turntable and records.

For me getting a good turntable truly reinvigorated my enjoyment with my two channel system listening. I’m having a ball.

YMMV of course as with anything in life.
To each his own. I came up on 8 track, cassette, vinyl, and reel to reel here. Never going back.

mike70

Spend the money on better sound, not worse...
i listened to many ... many digital systems sounding awful compared to analog.

how is that possible? OMG ... our ears were corrupted by ignorance

i listened to many ... many digital systems sounding awful compared to analog.

how is that possible? OMG ... our ears were corrupted by ignorance

What exactly is a digital system? Last I checked sound waves are analog... I prefer the cleanest, best source for my analog system. When I got my first cd player, I think it was 84, I never looked back.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Your preference, that's fine. There are other reasons to use a turntable besides objective audio quality, and we should respect that. Why is that so difficult to do?

Your preference, that's fine. There are other reasons to use a turntable besides objective audio quality, and we should respect that. Why is that so difficult to do?
It's not difficult at all. Have I been disrespectful by offering what I think is solid advice when it comes to the best sound for the money? Am I not allowed to attempt to help folks?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
To each his own. I came up on 8 track, cassette, vinyl, and reel to reel here. Never going back.

And some of us enjoy playing records.

I hear you guys. :)
Just asking what I can get with this budget for the occasional fun.

Some just can't help themselves, so try to ignore the Debbie Downers. ;)

I went the vintage route when I got back into it a few years ago, and use a Technics SL-10, and a Kenwood 880Dii I set up with an AT VM540, and have pretty very happy with my little setup. I have about 600 or so albums, and use it very much like it sounds like you intend to... Once in a while for some fun.

For whatever reason, people who come over naturally gravitate to a big display of records and a turntable. It's fun to pick out a record you haven't heard for 40 years and hear it through a decently setup system.

I don't know much about the newer ones, but the advice given above seems like a good place to start.

One thing I wouldn't do without, is at least auto-lift at the end of the side. Not having to worry about 'resting my eyes' for a bit makes my lazy ass happy. Just sayin'

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not difficult at all. Have I been disrespectful by offering what I think is solid advice when it comes to the best sound for the money? Am I not allowed to attempt to help folks?
He’s already made the decision that he’s interested in getting a turntable and playing vinyl. So he’s asking advice on how to do it. Telling him not to buy one, because you yourself aren’t interested in that format isn’t particularly helpful.

He’s already made the decision that he’s interested in getting a turntable and playing vinyl. So he’s asking advice on how to do it telling him not to buy one, because you yourself aren’t interested in that format isn’t particularly helpful.
I'm interested in lots of things. And I ask questions and take advice from folks that have experience in my interests. A decision that you're interested isn't a decision to buy and I was honestly giving him what I feel is good advice. Isn't that what forums are for, to share experience and knowledge? Or am I being disrespectful again?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in lots of things. And I ask questions and take advice from folks that have experience in my interests. A decision that you're interested isn't a decision to buy and I was honestly giving him what I feel is good advice. Isn't that what forums are for, to share experience and knowledge? Or am I being disrespectful again?

Just saying 'don't buy one' is hardly offering experience or knowledge. It's a drive-by. You didn't give any reason at all to follow your advice. You think that's really what being helpful looks like? Look at many of the other replies to see what sharing knowledge and experience looks like.

Top Bottom