• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First turntable - any suggestions?

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Reading the last few posts it seems vinyl isn’t worth the bother? Like them find myself playing vinyl less and less, most digital platforms are so good. Spent about 50% of my budget on the vinyl setup and use it about 5% of the time.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Tomorrow I have to record another pod ep about the LPs my friend Gav bought on holiday in the US this summer. His taste in music is mixed, of course, but that's not the problem. Why spend all that money and drag these hefty things across continents and over oceans at all? I can listen to them on my phone or computer and get much better sound and I can do it anywhere and I don't need to get up to lift the needle after every 20 mins of listening. I hate that run-out groove sound.

Here's a sampling of what he bought. I mean... Why bother?

It's a playlist of 17 items

OP
Biblob

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another vote for the AT-LP120xUSB table (about $230 when I purchased). I have many vintage tables, but bought one of these to use in my workroom system. It's great. If money were no object, sure, I like the Technics new model, but... As long as you can live with no automatic start/stop functions, it is a clean and no-muss, no-fuss unit. Decent build quality. Internal preamp that you can either use or not use (I don't use on mine, have many better phono preamps). Ability to USB out if you ever want to digitize an album in the future (that was a plus for me). I upgraded mine to the AT-VM95ML (microline) stylus (about $130 for a new stylus which fits the 95 cartridge body, but you can sometimes find deals on them) , which I really like. Good inexpensive phono pre's include the Art DJ, Schiit Mani or U-Turn Pluto ($60 for the Art, about $120 for each of the others). I looked at the other major contenders for a new table but the AT ticked all of the boxes for me, and was cheaper. Happy listening!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Will take a look at this one then!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I'm another who wouldn't dive into vinyl at this point, I did grow up with it and still have it, altho rarely use it. The larger artwork is nice but I wouldn't find it worth displaying particularly, there's often better ways to display the album's art/artists to use for display in any case.

I've had a Technics SL1200mk2 since 85 and my total maintenance of this vintage model has been pretty minimal. I had it serviced once maybe in the mid 90s or so (used to work practically next door to an actual Sony service facility) but they didn't have much to do except some needed maintenance on the arm lift (the hydraulic action decreased in time and is something I suppose needs attention again now).

I've got some of the manual-specified lube and apply it myself since that service. A few years ago when changing cartridges I had noticed the arm height adjustment wouldn't move so learned how to do that myself, which wasn't particularly hard but rather somewhat awkward....the grease hardens in time so I cleaned it out and applied fresh grease and am good likely for quite a while again.

'd expect newer tts to not be built quite as well, at least at the price point you've got. Lots of the vintage tables are still around for a reason....but some of the prices are high....I think I can sell my 1200 now for more than twice what I paid for it (ignoring inflation of course). Inflation considered, the 1200mk7 for $1k isn't all that bad. Vintage vinyl is somewhat suited to a vintage player, no? OTOH the Audio Technica 240 for $500 isn't all that bad....and looks like the 1200 they copied. :)

AaronJ

I think you should not spend $500 on vinyl playback before you know you'll like it. I would suggest spending $200-250 on an entry level Audio Technica like the AT-60LPX or AT-LP3, or a Fluance RT-81. You'll know within a couple weeks if it's going to be something that will stick in your lifestyle.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, since a short while I've started to collect some vinyls because I'd like to display the albumcovers in my living room. And I would like to listen to them occasionally but own no equipment yet.

I have no knowledge of turntables, cartridges and phono pre-amps! So any advice to steer me in the right direction is welcome.

I will use the turntable or pre-amp output as input for my DSP active set-up (Motu Ultralite MK4).
Living in Europe, so any advice on secondhand stuff available here is much appreciated too!. I'd like to spend a maximum around €500.
For a first turntable, it would be hard to go too wrong with the Rega Planar 1 Plus which has an integrated MM phonostage. That may be a bit above your price limit, so a gently used Rega P1 or P2 should be more than sufficient. You will need an external phono preamp with those turntables; a used Cambridge Audio Solo or Rega Fono Mini preamp will be a good match.

When buying a used turntable, do plan to buy a brand new replacement stylus as part of your budget. You can replace the Rega Carbon stylus with an AT3600L replacement stylus for about half the price (in the US; European pricing may be different).

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading the last few posts it seems vinyl isn’t worth the bother? Like them find myself playing vinyl less and less, most digital platforms are so good. Spent about 50% of my budget on the vinyl setup and use it about 5% of the time.
You have to try it to know if you'll like it. I spend my time listening to vinyl vs. digital almost 50/50. I prefer vinyl when I want to focus exclusively on the music. Vinyl can be a pain and a rabbit hole of spending but, to me, it's more fulfilling as a hobby than digital.

BJL

I agree with the suggestions that you get an Audio Technica. Took a quick look and saw that Amazon in Europe has the LP-120X for 300 euros or less, including VAT (and shipping depending on your location, I suppose). If you had a large collection then a table from the current Technics line up would be great (I have a 1200GR), but they are way above your budget. They are suitable for someone with a substantial collection. Belt drive turntables are, in my opinion, a pain. The belts expand and wear out. Direct drive turntables are trouble free. The AT is a Technics knock off originally produced when the old style SL1200 went out of production. The new Technics are much nicer of course, but start at around 1000 Euros.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm considering getting a turntable for some stuff that's not available on cd or streaming.
I recently got into Japanese Jazz and Funk and there is actually some stuff that seems to be either only available on vinyl or if there ever was a CD release it has absolutely ridiculous prices.

But I don't want something vintage. Should be a bit more modern and sound alright. This should be really only for stuff that makes no sense to buy as a other format or is not available as digital.

I believe a direct drive is more reliable?

Is there something that's good from pro-ject or rega? Or maybe Denon? I would use this with a headphone setup.

But I wouldn't want to spend more than 500€.
I don't have a phone pre-amp.

BJL

Audio Technica offers four direct drive models within your price range $349-$499, any of which will deliver excellent results. All have built in phono pre-amp, I believe.
I agree 100% with Tom C, if the Technics models are too expensive for you, the Audio Technica models are a great choice. As a matter of history, I understand that the AT turntables were originally produced when Technics stopped production for a time, they are good knock-offs, and may have been licensed at the time, but I'm note sure about that, perhaps someone else has better info.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technics every day ... under 500 you can find a SL-Q2 or Q3 in good shape at 150 euros with auto return or totally automatic like SL-Q33.

If you want a brand new TT, the ATs people named are decent ones. Budget belt drives are a joke in my opinion ... and you need to check the speed every 2 months waiting for the stretched belt.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I wonder if I’d get more actual use out of a smaller, more portable setup like a Bluetooth-equipped Audio Technica LP60 (not all LP60 variants are so equipped), Headache Sound Omni, or Numark PT01 USB. PT01 is the least “hifi” of the bunch, but there are plenty of mods available, and some are very clever, requiring only the most basic tools, and no soldering.

Advantage of these compact, wireless packages is that they don’t require a permanent home, with the Numark and Headache Sound units being fully usable as standalone.

All have short tonearms not designed for lowest distortion geometry, and range of adjustments offered is minimal. But this is vinyl we’re talking about, and some distortion is unavoidable no matter how much money you spend.

WDeranged

When I got back into vinyl I bought a Rega Planar 1 as it seemed the best value (and highly rated) here in the UK. Three years later and it keeps on giving, especially with a VM95ML cartridge that installs very easily.

No matter what turntable you get I'd recommend an elliptical stylus at the least. Distortion is a very real problem with vinyl.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technics every day ... under 500 you can find a SL-Q2 or Q3 in good shape at 150 euros with auto return or totally automatic like SL-Q33.

If you want a brand new TT, the ATs people named are decent ones. Budget belt drives are a joke in my opinion ... and you need to check the speed every 2 months waiting for the stretched belt.
Did not want a vintage deck, so those Technics are out. Proj-ject decks are good for the money, but I’d recommend the Audio Technicas, too.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vinyl is for old folks like me who started buying LP in the 70s and never stopped. Stay away please. No point for you to start this hobby unless you are a nerd.
I disagree - vinyl is great when CDs or streaming is not an option. I came back to vinyl after a 25 year hiatus and I’m really enjoying it now much more than my digital streaming system.

Reactions: BJL

BJL

Sometimes I wonder if I’d get more actual use out of a smaller, more portable setup like a Bluetooth-equipped Audio Technica LP60 (not all LP60 variants are so equipped), Headache Sound Omni, or Numark PT01 USB. PT01 is the least “hifi” of the bunch, but there are plenty of mods available, and some are very clever, requiring only the most basic tools, and no soldering.

Advantage of these compact, wireless packages is that they don’t require a permanent home, with the Numark and Headache Sound units being fully usable as standalone.

All have short tonearms not designed for lowest distortion geometry, and range of adjustments offered is minimal. But this is vinyl we’re talking about, and some distortion is unavoidable no matter how much money you spend.
This entirely depends upon your purpose for buying the turntable and your listening preferences. A well-designed turntable playing a decently pressed record will sound great, without any audibly annoying distortion. Even though I prefer digital formats, high quality LPs are close to equal the audio quality, and of course, there are records with no digital equivalent, whether it is because the music was never released, or because the digital format versions have been altered in undesirable ways (or poorly mastered).

The AT LP120 would be highly preferable to the the LP60, unless you need to spend the absolute minimum. The 120 is a Technics copy, the 60 looks like junk to me. Or you could follow the advice of the member who suggested looking for a used Technics in good condition.

Also, a turntable with poor tonearm geometry and insufficient adjustment features will not be very good for the LP, and will not be much pleasure to use. I suspect that a cheap turntable is a false economy. Better to skip it in that case.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This entirely depends upon your purpose for buying the turntable and your listening preferences. A well-designed turntable playing a decently pressed record will sound great, without any audibly annoying distortion. Even though I prefer digital formats, high quality LPs are close to equal the audio quality, and of course, there are records with no digital equivalent, whether it is because the music was never released, or because the digital format versions have been altered in undesirable ways (or poorly mastered).

The AT LP120 would be highly preferable to the the LP60, unless you need to spend the absolute minimum. The 120 is a Technics copy, the 60 looks like junk to me. Or you could follow the advice of the member who suggested looking for a used Technics in good condition.

Also, a turntable with poor tonearm geometry and insufficient adjustment features will not be very good for the LP, and will not be much pleasure to use. I suspect that a cheap turntable is a false economy. Better to skip it in that case.
I’d agree that the LP120 models are clearly superior to the LP60 models. Especially since I don’t believe there is an option for an elliptical stylus with the LP60 range. The LP60’s are belt driven.

I’d consider the LP60 to be the the most basic of entry level turntables that I’d recommend. The LP120 models are a couple steps up, IMHO. These models are direct drives and in the sweet spot of your price range with an internal phono preamp.

The LP140 models could be end-game for some vinyl listeners, but they require an external phono preamp which would push it out of the price range. If you were to consider that path, the Schiit Mani 2 or Cambridge Audio Solo could form a nice combination.

Top Bottom