• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First speaker setup, recommendations?

Donnage

Hi,

Looking to build my first speaker setup but would love some advice. I'm currently located in Europe ( The Netherlands ) and I'm willing to buy used.
Got myself some used 24 inch speaker stands, and a used Receiver ( Sony STR DH190 ). I'll probably sell it off soon again for the same price and get myself an integrated amplifier for around 500 euro's. Currently the iovatax sa3 is high up-on the list, but if anyone has any other recommendations ( perhaps used ) I'd gladly take that into consideration.

I like a neutral speaker, mostly balanced but with a tinth of warmth. Soundstage is really important for me, because I already have multiple headphones, and what makes me want to have speakers too is the soundstage ! I love high res. sound, and I love to hear all the details, but my headphones can do that too. However the soundstage that speakers deliver is what I'm mainly looking for.

Sadly I don't have space to place the speakers more than 1 feet from the back wall, and only bookshelves will do. I do have enough space width-wise.

Currently I'm auditioning a pair of KEF LS50's. I know these don't fit my taste, but I also wanted to give another soundsignature a try. And nope, totally don't like them. I like the Triangle borea BR03 WAAY more. and they're less than half the price.

The next speakers I'll audition is the elac uni fi reference. They seem to fairly fit my wishlist. luckily dutch stores let me try out different speakers at home.

Do you guys have any recommendations which other speakers I should consider? Used is fine too, but the problem is that not many sellers would give me a trial period. I think that my budget is 1000 euro's, but somehow I'm lowkey attracted to the buchardt S400, above my budget but they sound exactly what I want, especially because they're easy with placement, and placement is my issue in my current room. Their strengths seem to be the soundstage, something I'm really looking for.

I see a used pair in my country with a highest offer of 1000 euro, so maybe I could get it for 1100 euro's. Would this be a good deal?

JRS

Major Contributor
If you haven't already, you may wish to look at the review here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/buchardt-s400-speaker-review.12844/ 44 pages is a lot of commentary. There are many good speakers reviewed here, you might sort through those looking for a score in the upper 5.0's or better (You can dbl click above the headings on the columns to make it alphabetical or by price or score). Going by price, I found Genelec's, Revel's and the Kef R3's in the price range. The other thing to keep in mind should you consider adding a subwoofer sometime later is the extent to which the sound was improved as most were reviewed with and without.

Reviews here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

But I am sure there will be more specific pointers coming from other members.

OP
D

Donnage

If you haven't already, you may wish to look at the review here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/buchardt-s400-speaker-review.12844/ 44 pages is a lot of commentary. There are many good speakers reviewed here, you might sort through those looking for a score in the upper 5.0's or better (You can dbl click above the headings on the columns to make it alphabetical or by price or score). Going by price, I found Genelec's, Revel's and the Kef R3's in the price range. The other thing to keep in mind should you consider adding a subwoofer sometime later is the extent to which the sound was improved as most were reviewed with and without.

Reviews here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

But I am sure there will be more specific pointers coming from other members.
thanks for the input! I've read the entire discussion about the S400 on here. The main aspect what I like about them is fairly easy placement, wide soundstage and wide "sweet spot".

Personally not a fan of the kef soundsignature so far, but i'll definitely take a look into the speakers mentioned above .

JRS

Major Contributor
thanks for the input! I've read the entire discussion about the S400 on here. The main aspect what I like about them is fairly easy placement, wide soundstage and wide "sweet spot".

Personally not a fan of the kef soundsignature so far, but i'll definitely take a look into the speakers mentioned above .
The R series may be more to your liking. I personally haven't heard much of what is available as long ago I stopped buying loudspeakers and started building them. Able to get off the crazy and wildly expensive habit of switching out 5000/pr speakers every two years.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if you didn't have a reciever i would have suggested the Kali IN-8 V2.

1000 euro is really awkward for passive speakers. maybe the LS50 Meta with subwoofers in the future?

I personally think the JBL A130 is a great speaker to 'start' with, but that's 300 euros for a pair. the ELAC DBR62 is an option too for 1000 euro, but a bit overpriced imo for such a simple design.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 is neutral yet warm. No other speaker under 1000 bucks does this better. Butter smooth sound. Soundstage has very good depth. Then with the balance of your budget get the most powerful and neutral amp you can find. Listening bliss for years, I promise. I own the OG LS50 and I prefer the 12.2 amytime anyday.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Hi, my 2 cents. Definetely used. Preferably standmounts, since for 1000 its difficult to get excellent cabinet construnction or enough budget to spend in great drivers because the box ate it.. Ideally, active too..Think Genelecs 8030/8040 or similar. If you want to keep traditional, I would try and look for a pair of Kef Reference 201.2. They are beautifully, resonance free, gorgeous looking built standmounters with no parallell sides, a 3 way, rather fuller sounding than Ls50, and much nicer sounding ( the 201 first version is a different kettle of fish). Arguably slightly less detailed than the Ls50, but that last generation doped polyprop midrange/titanium tweeter sound full and robust, not agressive, but lively and image great..They are off the radar and rare, and i just missed a mint pair over here for 999.... Get a sub afterwards, and to significantly better this you need to spend a couple of times more. Even my Genelecs 1037B or Kef ref 205 with quality amplification can't touch them if you don't have a big, lossy room.

OP
D

Donnage

@abdo123 It doesn't have to be 1000, it can also be less :p The DBR62 is 498 euro's here, not 1000. the unifi reference is 848 here.

@MarkWinston I currently listen to the OG LS50, the soundstage is just not enough for my liking. I truly love the br03 more. I'll take a look into the Whatfedale Diamond 12.2 !

@Morpheus Thanks for your input! Trying to gather knowledge which used products are worth looking after for. Currently there is one pair of 201.1's on sale for 1500 euro's, which is slightly more than I'm willing to pay, but do-able . However that's not the 201.2 you're talking about.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
@Morpheus Thanks for your input! Trying to gather knowledge which used products are worth looking after for. Currently there is one pair of 201.1's on sale for 1500 euro's, which is slightly more than I'm willing to pay, but do-able . However that's not the 201.2 you're talking about.
[/QUOTE]

Skip it...Its too expensive, and you won't like it,its thinner sounding like the LS50, and doesn't image as good, the .2 is rather better, throughout the range, but especially noticeable in this model

Top Bottom