• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[First Purchase] Sennheiser HD 660 S + Schiit DAC & Amp combo?

dfuller

Major Contributor
@jae: 6XX, how does it compare to the 58X?

So I've settled on a plan. Depending answers on the 6XX vs 58X, I'll pick one of those. I'm leaning on the EX5 if I feel the need to buy a dac/amp (I really want to dip my toes by getting one at some point). Both 6XX and 58X are well below my budget so that's pretty good news.
Either/or for the 6XX/58X, they're really about the same. 58X is voiced sliiiiightly warmer with sliiiiightly better bass extension. Really about the same.

OP
B

bobcoutu

Okay, good news! I took the plunge and went for the 58X. Added some earcups since I'm paying shipping anyway, right? Not clear if I'm getting just one or two sets of earcups but in either case I'm pretty excited! I wish the website would show prices in CAD, I couldn't find an option so that's a bit misleading for purchases... Up to $300 for me, all included. Still a ways off from the 660 S!

I was also looking into RCA versus XLR. Despite not having a complex setup, is that something I should look into? Right now I only ordered the headphones and will test them but I still REALLY want a dac/amp on the side (the suggested EX5 is the one I would go with if that time does come).

Thank you so much for all the feedback and helping me out. You guys are seriously a blessing. I'll try to leave my quick thoughts and comments on the headphones whenever they arrive! I might know if I need an dac/amp, too.

Attachments

• headphones.png
    headphones.png
    24 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
B

bobcoutu

Watching the video. I understand the XLR connection and swapping out the wire but I don't... fully understand why headphones would need more voltage? It's to "drive" headphones that needs more power to be efficient? Don't think I'll need XLR with how clueless I am about it but it does make me wonder why the 58X has the XLR adapter. I'm eager to see how loud the headphones are out of the box.

jae

Major Contributor
I would have personally gone with the 6XX. It is smoother sound IMO with better treble and it is technically the better headphone, and sort of a de-facto "standard" for hifi listening (the 650 was one of the first mainstream, modern audiophile open headphone and still highly regarded today). Because of that fact they also tend to have better resale value. Before the whole 6XX drop collaboration with Sennheiser years back and before the 660S was released, CAD retail price for these were as high as $650 and I personally bought my first pair over a decade ago for a steal at $510. The 58X is still good for the price, but when you factor in Canadian import tax, I don't think the 58X is as good of a buy. Drop always used fedex in the past for Canadian orders and they always charged import duties without fail, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I would not be disappointed with your choice however, especially if you plan on EQing which almost everyone here will suggest to you anyway, but if money isn't a problem I would say the 6XX is a better buy. With EQ they will be similar, but without EQ the 6XX is better.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nheiser-hd58x-jubilee-review-headphone.25474/ (note that amir makes comments comparing them as the cheaper version of 650, but this is assuming 650 is bought at regular price. When comparing to 6XX prices, the value of 58X is not as high as the price difference is only $50 USD and not double)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd650-review-headphone.18774/ (650 review)

Note, the Topping EX5 I suggested has the typical XLR connector which is typicall used for balanced connections but it is wired as single ended internally (so its not actually balanced). So with this particular unit there will be no power difference between the regular headphone jack and XLR like with other amps so you don't have to worry about missing out on anything by not having balanced cables. You can just plug in directly. This amp has plenty of power regardless so you don't have to worry. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ex5-review-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.24341/

Last edited:
OP
B

bobcoutu

Yeah... I'm certain if I had gone with the 6XX someone would've preferred I went with the 58X. It's really difficult to pick out headphones! I had to take the plunge or my indecisiveness would've discouraged me further. In either case, this is a huge upgrade for me so I'm not bothered. I do worry about customs but seeing how I had wanted to go for the 660 S I'm still under budget. If I do upgrade then it'll be a bigger jump from 58X to... whatever is the recommended move. Maybe non-Sennheiser so I can see what I've been missing out on. We'll cross that bridge when we get there!

I've bookmarked the EX5 link and I probably will be getting it down the line just so I can experience having a dac/amp. Thank you for the XLR/cables info!

dfuller

Major Contributor
Watching the video. I understand the XLR connection and swapping out the wire but I don't... fully understand why headphones would need more voltage? It's to "drive" headphones that needs more power to be efficient? Don't think I'll need XLR with how clueless I am about it but it does make me wonder why the 58X has the XLR adapter. I'm eager to see how loud the headphones are out of the box.
Some headphones need truly ludicrous amounts of power (for a headphone). Something like an HE6se by HiFiMan, for example.

OP
B

bobcoutu

Update to anyone that cares: headphones are here! Just got them. I hope the clamping lessens as it's quite... noticeable. It is the very first day so I'm not at all worried about this. Even with no EQ they're leagues ahead of the Razer headphones I had. The Razer came with a... dongle of some sort with a USB plug. So I decided to use that instead of directly going for my PC. I figure that might help, in some way.

I do want a DAC/Amp combo just so I can adjust the volume on the fly. I can do that via the volume mixer, sure, but the habit of having a knob on the Razer to turn was really nice. The 58X doesn't have one and it's a small feature I miss already. I may upgrade in the future but for now this will do. This is the only gripe I have so it tells how good these are right out of the box. At least for me!

Downloaded EQ Pro with the PEACE GUI and got some settings specifically for the 58X. Definitely a change in sound. Put a DB or two extra bass overall. I'll still tweak with settings, maybe even try the foam trick..? I'm not sure yet. Oh, and I'm SO glad I got the extra pads. Otherwise I would be stuck with velour ones and it's rather hot here. If it's hot over there, please get the sheepskin ones with holes. They're really nice.

I just want to thank everyone for helping me. I understand some suggested I go with another headphone but there's so many choices it's difficult to please everyone. So I'll settle on pleasing myself and so far I'm really happy with the pick. The open-back is such a nice change from close. The bass is fantastic and I can really feel Spotify Premium being worth it.

I hope this thread can help anyone in the future that are looking for starter headphones like I was. :)

Sombreuil

Update to anyone that cares: headphones are here! Just got them. I hope the clamping lessens as it's quite... noticeable. It is the very first day so I'm not at all worried about this.

Read this (page 2): http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X_evaluation.pdf

Downloaded EQ Pro with the PEACE GUI and got some settings specifically for the 58X. Definitely a change in sound. Put a DB or two extra bass overall. I'll still tweak with settings, maybe even try the foam trick..? I'm not sure yet. Oh, and I'm SO glad I got the extra pads. Otherwise I would be stuck with velour ones and it's rather hot here. If it's hot over there, please get the sheepskin ones with holes. They're really nice.

Removing the foam means less bass, not sure that's what you want.

Rantenti

Update to anyone that cares: headphones are here! Just got them. I hope the clamping lessens as it's quite... noticeable. It is the very first day so I'm not at all worried about this. Even with no EQ they're leagues ahead of the Razer headphones I had. The Razer came with a... dongle of some sort with a USB plug. So I decided to use that instead of directly going for my PC. I figure that might help, in some way.

I do want a DAC/Amp combo just so I can adjust the volume on the fly. I can do that via the volume mixer, sure, but the habit of having a knob on the Razer to turn was really nice. The 58X doesn't have one and it's a small feature I miss already. I may upgrade in the future but for now this will do. This is the only gripe I have so it tells how good these are right out of the box. At least for me!

I just want to thank everyone for helping me. I understand some suggested I go with another headphone but there's so many choices it's difficult to please everyone. So I'll settle on pleasing myself and so far I'm really happy with the pick. The open-back is such a nice change from close. The bass is fantastic and I can really feel Spotify Premium being worth it.

I hope this thread can help anyone in the future that are looking for starter headphones like I was. :)

Great to know you like your new headphones. Where I live the weather is also quite hot and humid. Personally I like the original ear pads (and sound) of my 660s, ao I try to preserve that sound but improve comfort and hygiene by cutting pieces of thin paper tissue into the shape of the ear pad with holes in the middle (so that the sound does not go through the paper tissue before reaching my ears), and place the tissue paper pads between the earpads and my head. I change my pair tissue paper ring pads every hour or so.

The tissue paper barrier pads, being wafer thin, soft and absorbent, added comfort while minimizing changes in sound signature, and keeps the actual ear pads completely free of sweat or sebum.

Top Bottom