• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First post on this forum. Looking for a way to get Apple Music and Tidal at high resolution into audio equipment w/no HDMI

BioMedTechGuy

I'm not interested in replacing my receiver (STR-DA9000ES) that I use a TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp in BTL-2 Channel mode (BridgedTransformerLess) to drive my L,R front speakers. It sounds AMAZING. I have an Oppo BDP-105D to get "modern" DD/DTS audio on BlueRay DVDs to decode into something my system can play by using the 7.1 analog out. Tidal streaming via the Oppo makes me crazy, not the mood I'm trying to achieve. My internet connection to the Oppo isn't as good as I'd like it to be, and I can work to improve that, IF that is why Tidal streaming is so unreliable.
I get Apple Music on my Android S22 Ultra phone, but I don't know how to "get it out" via a digital audio output, and on my Surface Pro 4 tablet, I only have USB. Tidal is also on my phone, but I believe there's a way to get it on the Surface Pro tablet, but still I don't know how to get it in to my audio equipment.
I have a Chromecast AUDIO unit on the way, and I have a 3.5mm optical to TOSLINK cable that I can go into my receiver or Oppo with.
I'll stop there and see what replies come. Basically the Oppo BDP-105D unit or my receiver digital optical or coax in are the only connections, other than recording to a flash drive and playing back on the Oppo.
Thanks, and this is a great forum!

el sergento

I'm not interested in replacing my receiver (STR-DA9000ES) that I use a TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp in BTL-2 Channel mode (BridgedTransformerLess) to drive my L,R front speakers. It sounds AMAZING. I have an Oppo BDP-105D to get "modern" DD/DTS audio on BlueRay DVDs to decode into something my system can play by using the 7.1 analog out. Tidal streaming via the Oppo makes me crazy, not the mood I'm trying to achieve. My internet connection to the Oppo isn't as good as I'd like it to be, and I can work to improve that, IF that is why Tidal streaming is so unreliable.
I get Apple Music on my Android S22 Ultra phone, but I don't know how to "get it out" via a digital audio output, and on my Surface Pro 4 tablet, I only have USB. Tidal is also on my phone, but I believe there's a way to get it on the Surface Pro tablet, but still I don't know how to get it in to my audio equipment.
I have a Chromecast AUDIO unit on the way, and I have a 3.5mm optical to TOSLINK cable that I can go into my receiver or Oppo with.
I'll stop there and see what replies come. Basically the Oppo BDP-105D unit or my receiver digital optical or coax in are the only connections, other than recording to a flash drive and playing back on the Oppo.
Thanks, and this is a great forum!
WIIM Mini / Pro

Roon + Raspberry Pie running Ropieeexl via USB + some type of USB to spdif converter

Roon + Raspberry Pie running Ropieeexl + some HAT with spdif or coax out.

Ropieeexl allows you to stream Airplay 2 from any device that supports Airplay, and it will also do Tidal bit perfect via Roon

TimW

Major Contributor
I second the Wiim Pro recommendation, I use a Pro now and it is rock solid. I used to use chromecast audios with Roon but I didn't want to pay for Roon anymore. On its own, the chromecast does not do gapless playback, so albums like Dark Side of the Moon will have annoying pauses. Roon does allow gapless with the chromecast but it is expensive software and does not support apple music.

Wiim does not currently support apple music directly, you have to use Airplay or chromecast to play music from that app on the Wiim. Since you have an android you will have to use chromecast which is only available on the Wiim Pro, not the mini. Since it is using the chromecast protocol it will not be gapless. Tidal on the other hand can be used in 3 different ways with the Wiim Pro. You can use the Tidal app and cast using chromecast, or instead use Tidal Cast since it is gapless, or even use the Wiim app to browse Tidal.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

Thank you both for the replies, and I will look at those components today.
I have another related question:
I'm very happy to say my Chromecast AUDIO unit came in early (Friday vs Monday) and I was able to listen some last night. Using Tidal on my Android phone app, it switched from "Master" to "Hi-Fi" displayed on each track upon playback, although I still have "Master" selected. That's not my question as much as I haven't gotten any resolution higher than 44/16 even though my receiver can do 192kHz/24.
How can I stream 96/24 from the Chromecast, which it is capable of?

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

I've found the WIIM mini Pro and it's certainly affordable, and had optical out, so I can use that output.
Would I use the optical IN for my Chromecast AUDIO device to input audio, or is Chromecast built in to the WIIM mini pro?
Would I need anything else to get what I'm looking for?
By the way, other than the lack of seamless playback, and not achieving 96/24 playback, the Chromecast AUDIO unit sound very nice via digital optical out, in to my 9000ES receiver!

Last edited:
OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

I have looked at the WiiM Pro Mini and I'm ordering one asap.
Very nice setup, I am only concerned about me still not getting higher output than CD quality (48/16) from Apple Music, Tidal, and I'm about to try Qobuz...
I know my Chromecast AUDIO device is capable of doing 96/24 but both Tidal and Apple Music seem to "switch" to a lower quality audio signal once they Cast to the device, I see it happen on my app display on my Android phone.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

UPDATE:
I FINALLY got 96/24 (VIA Chromecast Audio device) on my Sony STR-DA 9000ES receiver display by using Qobuz app and playing back the "Hi-Res" music at either of the 2 high resolution settings 192 or 96 and 24.
The BAD NEWS for me is that makes it impossible to send bass to my Subwoofer! Any digital PCM above 48Khz disables ALL of the sound fields of my Sony receiver, including "AFD" Auto Format Decode which is how I get stereo audio signals to output a ".1" LFE signal.
As nice as my KLF-30 speakers are, down to 32Hz, I am a bass junkie, and I also find authoritative bass helps bring balance to what some call the "forward" sound of horn loaded speakers, especially at "robust" volume levels. This is the same BEEF I have with 2 channel SACD played back via FireWire on my system, NO LFE!
So, I am still going to get the WiiM mini pro, but I am going to limit my playback resolution to 48Khz, so my sub (Trinity SuperCube) can play.

TimW

Major Contributor
I've found the WIIM mini Pro and it's certainly affordable, and had optical out, so I can use that output.
Would I use the optical IN for my Chromecast AUDIO device to input audio, or is Chromecast built in to the WIIM mini pro?
Would I need anything else to get what I'm looking for?
First of all, the Wiim mini is a different product than the pro. I recommend the pro and assume you're looking at that one since the mini does not have an optical input. You could use the chromecast audio connected to the pro via optical but there is really no need since the pro has chromecast built in. Since your receiver is doing digital signal processing, it makes sense to connect the digital output of the Wiim to it. You can set the maximum digital output format in the Wiim app to maintain compatability with your receiver. So called Hi-res digital formats really don't provide any audible benefit for music so you don't lose anything by sticking with the lower sampling rates.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

You can set the maximum digital output format in the Wiim app to maintain compatability with your receiver. So called Hi-res digital formats really don't provide any audible benefit for music so you don't lose anything by sticking with the lower sampling rates.
Thank you! I figured out the "Chromecast built in" part since that post, but thanks.
I have been fighting to get a 96/24 or 192/24 PCM signal into my Sony STR-DA 9000ES as a "concurrent quest" to streaming just a damn good quality audio signal into the receiver. Neither Tidal nor Apple music apps on my Android phone via Chromecast Audio would do better than 44/16...
FINALLY Qobuz got me 96/24 via Chromecast, BUT that proved to be disappointing...As good a job for FULL range audio my Klipsch KLF-30s do, down to 32Hz, I have to have my Trinity SuperCube involved in music playback because I love that ocean floor bass kick. It wasn't until after I got 96/24 into my receiver that I found out the Sony will NOT employ ANY Sound Field processing for any audio signal above 48kHz, including "A.F.D." which takes a stereo signal and derives a 2.1 signal from it...
So, I will limit the audio to 48/16 and be happy with my sub playing, and WAY better sound than Bluetooth or a USB-C dongle can bring.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

If you are using Tidal, just get the $9.99 Hi-Fi tier. You don't need the MQA subscription as your Sony can't unfold MQA.
I started with Pandora free in 2011, then got SiriusXM lifetime. I've been a Spotify subscriber for at least 8 years, and I would listen to Spotify via a 3.5mm mini stereo to stereo RCA Monster cable into my Sony.
THEN
Verizon cell service has included Apple music as an inseparable part of my plan, so I dropped Spotify. I subbed to Tidal in my quest for 96 or 192/24, but only the Qobuz app delivers that, and it's only yesterday that I also found that cuts off AFD 2.1 playback.
So I'm likely going to just revert back to the Apple music that I don't pay anything extra for, that is displayed at 44kHz on my Sony via Chromecast (soon to be WiiM mini pro). One concern about this is the "Lossless" goes away on the Apple music app display when I Cast from the Apple music app. I just moved my Apple Music to Qobuz.

Last edited:
OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

Well, my own personal Crusade for 96/24 or 192/24 picked up tonight where I had skipped a step yesterday.
After I discovered my Sony receiver would not provide 2.1 channel (AFD) or any other kind of processing of any audio signal above 48kHz, meaning I'd lose my sub for stereo playback, I decided to run the optical out from the Chromecast audio device into the digital optical input on my Oppo. I couldn't get the input menu to appear yesterday but tonight it did, and with the Oppo menu speaker size set to small, crossover at 40Hz (just like my Sony) and stereo downmix, I was able to play 96/24 into the Oppo and using its D-to-A converter I selected the multi-channel Analog inputs on the Sony. Viola! High resolution audio in to a better than good D-to-A converter in the Oppo, (and the Sony D-to-A is also better than good, but I already stated the loss of 2.1 is a problem).
So, what do I think about the sound?
It's great, but I think I'm losing a teeny bit of bass in my towers, and the bass fluctuates a lot from track to track, especially when changing albums.
So while high resolution is great, I think CD quality 44/16 is going to be my best bet for streaming.
If I want choice tracks or an album in high resolution to listen to, I'll either load it on a flash drive and play it back on the Oppo or get a SACD, or download it and play it as I just stated,through the Oppo via Casting in over optical and out via analog to my Sony 7.1 in.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

It's been quite the journey, and this forum has been VERY helpful.
I now have the Chromecast Audio device and a WiiM mini pro, and I don't regret either purchase. I have several active streaming services that I was trying, but unless I find some major differences between 44.1/16 and 48/24 in the next week or so I will cancel all but Apple Music that I get with my cell phone plan at no extra cost and no discount if I don't use it.
I was able to save $10/month by dropping Spotify premium that I've paid for for years. I can move the Chromecast Audio device to my living room system, that is still a very nice setup: STR-DA 777ES receiver and a pair of Belle Klipsch front speakers, and Klipsch Cornwall rear speakers (mainly because I don't have anywhere else to use them). The WiiM mini pro will handle streaming in my Theater Room, where a pair of Klipsch KLF-30 tower speakers and a Definitive Technology Trinity SuperCube subwoofer play back from a Sony ES STR-DA 9000ES unit and a
TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp in BrigedTransformerLess (BTL) 2-Channel mode powers the L, R front speakers. Although the power output is the same 200wpc as the receiver, I like the warmer sound it provides, and the receiver has a setup feature to "tell" it that I'm using an external amp for the front 2 speakers.
Anyway, thanks again for all the help, and unless I find that I have problems with the quality of 44.1/16 from my Apple Music app and Chromecast built in to the WiiM, I probably won't be visiting as much as I have.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
unless I find some major differences between 44.1/16 and 48/24 in the next week or so I will cancel all but Apple Music

Most people here know you won’t hear any difference. . Once you stop worrying about “hi rez” you might just be able to enjoy listening to music or concentrate on what really makes a difference.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

Most people here know you won’t hear any difference. . Once you stop worrying about “hi rez” you might just be able to enjoy listening to music or concentrate on what really makes a difference.
Thank you for your reply. I have stopped, I wouldn't say I was "worried", but more on a mission. Once I found out I'd lose 2.1 "AFD" playback over 48kHz, unless I went through all the work playing it through my Oppo, finding even if that was easy it seemed like I was losing a bit of bass in my towers, the last question I had was is downsampling to 48/24 worth it, and I have a couple of replies suggesting it isn't vs just playing 44.1/16. By keeping Apple Music as my only service, I don't have any stand alone subscription costs, and I can focus on building up that library.
Thanks

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know, and AVR with HDMI really has its benefits.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

You know, and AVR with HDMI really has its benefits.
BLASPHEMY!! ;)
I do appreciate your reply...
There's one feature of my receiver and SCD-XA9000ES SACD player that I believe I would really miss, but it's not a deal breaker. My receiver is one of maybe 3 ever made that has a FireWire input to connect the SACD player FireWire output to that takes the DSD signal and keeps it unmolested throughout the majority of the signal path, until it finally has to be converted into a signal that makes the music we hear. There is also the H.A.T.S. feature that is a buffer, does "time alignment" of the digital stream with the quartz clock of the receiver, completely eliminating jitter or any other associated possible issues. My GOD multi-channel SACD is a spiritual experience played back on my system!
Now I believe there are other sources for DSD audio that can be had, and fed into new receivers in a similar unmolested manner, but I don't know any of the details.
So, since I've been out of the Audio/Video business since 2009, maybe you (or anyone) can list a new or "like new" used receiver that:
Has the HDMI ports you mentioned
Has 200 WPC with a distortion rating of "point zero any number" (0.0X) at 20-20kHz all channels driven
Is made in Japan or the USA
Weighs at least 50 pounds (mine is over 60 pounds)
Uses high end gold caps
Has cutting edge D-to-A converters
Uses either a copper clad heavy duty or toroidal power supply transformer
Has (at least) 2 massive power storage capacitors
Costs around $5k or less...
I anxiously await replies..
The STR-DA 9000ES receiver I bought used, in "like new" condition around 2013 was plastered on the covers of countless A/V magazines in 2004 when it came out, and I was at the pinnacle of my "guru knowledge status" of all things A/V and Home Theater. Just before this unit was released new, I attended a Sony seminar and their new receivers were the focal point, and my mind was BLOWN by the leading edge or "never before" tech loaded in the 9000ES receiver. DVI video switching (2 in/1 out), the FIRST application of Sony S-Master Pro digital amplifier modules in a non-commercial unit. (To be fair, I found that I prefer the sound of my 60 pound plus TA-N9000ES 5 channel SonyES amplifier, running in 2 channel BTL (BrigedTransformerLess) mode, which reconfigures the 5 amplifier sections in the separates chassis into a 2 channel output @ 200WPC, the same rating as the receiver, to power my Left and Right Front speakers. It sounds "warmer" and more robust-not "strained" at Live Concert Level Volume (which I can't continue for more than a while or I know I'm hurting my hearing), although I'm sure I would have been fine with the receiver running them, IF I hadn't been able to compare) The receiver has a menu option that "tells it" I am running the L,R fronts on an external amp.
One of the reasons why I bought my Oppo BDP-105D unit is I use it to play back BluRay DVD movies and it can "deal with" the more modern DTS and DD surround modes, at least making them something the 7.1 analog output and corresponding 7.1 input on the Sony manipulate into a very pleasant surround sound experience.
It took A LOT for me to replace my STR-DA 777ES receiver with the 9000ES receiver, and the 777ES now has the job of playing in my "casual" TV room, hooked up to Belle Klipsch front speakers and Klipsch Cornwall rear speakers.

OP
BioMedTechGuy

BioMedTechGuy

But wait! There's more....
Screenshot_20230226_145859_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230226_145928_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230226_150019_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom