• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First measured freq. response (Topping pa5)

jns

Hello all,

I've been reading here for quite a while and the more I read, the more curios I got and finally decided to try to participate. Thank you all for providing your knowledge and inspiring me to dive deeper into audio hardware, measuring etc. - actually too many people to list here but @amirm your contributions stand out. I am not an electrical engineer and just taking first steps so any input or advice for literature is greatly appreciated.

In my very first measurement (I got a Topping pa5, since there are quite some measurements available for comparison and I wanted to try a class D device for some time) I found some ripple in the frequency response which I cannot explain so far based on my knowledge and research - maybe someone around here can put me in the right direction.

I've been measuring the PA5 through my scarlett solo using REW. I did calibrate the soundcard and hooked the amp up to an 4Ohm load combined with a voltage divider roughly 10:1 I (22k Ohm and 2kOhm). The Amp delivered 2V. Looking at the freq. response there is some ripple around 750Hz - but I have now idea what causes this ... (I did measure another amp which does not show this effect - so not the scarlett?)

ToppingPA5_4Ohm2V.png

Increasing the Amps output, leaving everything else unchanged, reduces the effect (shown here is an output of 6V):

ToppingPA5_4Ohm6V.png

Greetings,
Jones

(I did post here since its the newbie place and I did not want to derail the other topping pa5 threads)

Top Bottom