• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First listening impression of Topping pa5.

WonkyDonkey

It will power them exactly as well as any other 50W @ 8Ohm/80W @ 4Ohm amplifier.

As a rough calculation and using Polks quoted minimum impedance of 3.8Ohms, then at a 13m/13ft listening distance the (distortion limited measurment) of the PA5s 80W is good for 98.5dB(SPL) peaks. That's quite loud. At the PA5s rated 125W a 1% THD, then that's a not quite so clean 100dB(SPL). Again plenty.

If you're using a subwoofer and bass management (i.e. all of the power hungry, sub-80Hz bass is handled by a subwoofer) then the PA5 is enough to cause hearing damage.

Russ

enioentity

Yeah im using Monolith 10 thx sub, connected through sub out on a receiver( not sure how to make it activate only below certain point Hz, i think it is working constantly)? On a receiver i got bass and treble management it is on 0 then i can go lower or higher..

WonkyDonkey

Yeah im using Monolith 10 thx sub, connected through sub out on a receiver( not sure how to make it activate only below certain point Hz, i think it is working constantly)? On a receiver i got bass and treble management it is on 0 then i can go lower or higher..
It's a while since I was bothered by AVRs, but generally; if you go into the AVR speaker settings menu and set all speakers to 'Small' (regardless of size) then the AVR will low-pass all of the bass below the chosen crossover points (hint; use 80Hz) to the subwoofer along with the LFE channel.

Some AV Receivers allow different bass management settings for each input and as we have seen in tests here, some processing can introduce increased levels of noise tempting people to run 'Pure Direct' for stereo. I'd add that if Pure Direct defeats room EQ (assuming the EQ routine has been run competently) then bass management engaged, with the lower distortion through the main speakers with a bass managed subwoofer well EQd, always wins out.

The problem with AVRs is that there are so many caveats to that statement! If you're happier listening to music one way or the other, stick to it until you know, or can prove, better.

Russ

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can it sufficiently power 86db speakers or something like hypex ncore 250 would be a better match?(for example polk r200, elac dbr62)
Im powering my Diamond 12.2 and R200 with the PA5 and D70S. One word : CRAZY GOOD. Ok thats 2 but you know what I mean. It doesnt run out of power before any of those 2 speakers start distorting.

CJH

Got one because I was curious and I'm glad I did. Using it to power LS50 Metas above 200Hz. My other amps are Bryston Powerpac 120 monoblocs (120/400 watts) and the PA 5 performs just as well--no added noise or artifacts I can hear. Has enough power in my configuration with listening at -18dB volume with the Brystons and -12dB with the Topping.
CJH

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got one because I was curious and I'm glad I did. Using it to power LS50 Metas above 200Hz. My other amps are Bryston Powerpac 120 monoblocs (120/400 watts) and the PA 5 performs just as well--no added noise or artifacts I can hear. Has enough power in my configuration with listening at -18dB volume with the Brystons and -12dB with the Topping.
CJH
You are crossing over your Metas at 200hz?

OP
G

Guido

via Fontemezzina 38 50019 Sesto fiorentino IT
I use a Pre90 with the PA5 via pair of XLR -> TRS cables from Blue Jeans Cable and works great.
I too use pre90 with pa5. Very good. I also alternate in my system the pa5 with a 2a3 ampli ( original Fivre monoplaque from the twenties of xx century and super hi end Tamura output transformers) . Pre90+ 2a3 wonderful !

Top Bottom