• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First listening impression of Topping pa5.

simplywyn

If chinese has done same progress in weapons this will be a big problem for americans and european . Not to say for Taiwan and Japan

What this really tells you is that in the field of electronics, China has moved worlds. SINAD is useful in detecting small objects - I'm talking about stealth and other things. With good SINAD, you can differentiate small enough objects from noise, and if China is coming out with the top level SINAD devices, then it's military should be on par or better than US / European counterparts in terms of radar, radar guided missiles, heat seeking missiles, basically anything that requires signal processing.

Remember, all of this stuff used to be the stuff of militaries. A dac with 120DB SINAD was used in submarines so the submarine people can hear enemy submarines back in the 60's. And now wave forms are used in analysis computers to detect enemy subs.

This is why audiophile industry should be science based, and less bullshit based because if indeed there is something that's truely better, then we are closing in on military grade radar equipment and sonar equipment.

Nothing tells the truth more than real measurements and real weapons.

The major problems of the 70's Sidewinders was that the SINAD wasn't high for its infrared detectors, so there's a LOT of noise, and there's a reason why flares were used, because flares look like noise back then (because the noise was so high) and could make the seeker head think there are 2 airplanes.

Nowadays, with super accurate detectors, the seeker head and differentiate between a flare and an aircraft.

Ellisr63

Alll this praise for the PA-5s has made me push the buy button on a pair of PA-5s. We will see how they work out with my K402MEHs. I currently run 2 15" Celestion woofers in the MEH and a EV DH1A compression driver, but I am planning on upgrading the Compression drivers to the Celestion AXI2050 compression drivers in May or June (need to save up). These amps should be an improvement to my Icepower 50ASX2BTL amps and 125ASX2BTL amps.

Ellisr63

Well I now have 2 of the PA5s and the hiss is not completely gone, but it is only audible if I bend down and put my ear about a foot away from the mouth of my K402 horn...the Icepower was noticeable about 3' from the mouth of the horn. I am planning on switching out my EV DH1As end of next month and i will see what happens with the hiss when I do that.

As far as the sound is... I was listening to a song I am pretty familiar (Crystal Eyes by Airixis) with and I noticed that certain instruments in the 500hz up area were clearer, and sounded more realistic than with the Icepower amp.

terrys999

It SHOULD be better than all tube amps, if it performed worse, it would be 350 bucks worth of junk. Lol!
A bit late. But I tested draw from pa5
7.5 w that’s medium volume.
Pushed it to 3 o’clock didn’t shift.

anli

Is a symphonic orchestra easily "understandable" with PA5?

Top Bottom