• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First impressions of Meizu Hifi dongle

tomli747

I recently bought the dongle from Meizu for about USD25. I compared it to MU2 plus and Apple dongle so I'm not sure how is it compared to MU2S.
I found that it's quite competitive for its price.

Good:
  • Supports microphone input
  • Compact size
  • Works with Onkyo HF player exclusive mode
  • Sounds better than Apple dongle
Bad:
  • Low output level (lower than Apple dongle, enough to drive HD650 on Windows but not Android)
  • Max output levels on Android and Windows are different (same as Apple dongle)
  • The steps of volume control on Android are too big
  • A small pops in the first minute
Any questions are welcomed.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-08-04 at 22.29.32.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-04 at 22.29.32.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,972
OP
T

tomli747

The MU2 has it's own volume control, so the output level problem doesn't exist.
However, the volume control of MU2 is implemented badly so I'm not sure which one has better user experience.
In terms of sound quality, I think they're close, at least I can't tell any noticeable difference. It would be interesting to see how it performs in measurements.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad:
  • A small pops in the first minute

Several products seem to have some version of this issue, and I cannot understand how this is not a deal-breaker. I don't care how good something sounds - if it produces pops, clicks, small dropouts, cuts off the first note of songs, or some similar issue, it seems pointless to use it, IMHO.

sajunky

The MU2 has it's own volume control, so the output level problem doesn't exist.
However, the volume control of MU2 is implemented badly so I'm not sure which one has better user experience.
In terms of sound quality, I think they're close, at least I can't tell any noticeable difference. It would be interesting to see how it performs in measurements.
Thanks for a comparison. In fact, with a some high grade level devices we should not hear any difference. It gives me a clue that both devices are properly implemented.

As for the difference in volume control, I think problem is with Android. Windows driver set a maximum volume on the device, Android not. iBasso by example created a free volume control Android app to fix this problem. It also allows 64 steps in volume control like Windows does.

alex5908

Hello,
Yesterday I received Meizu Hifi-Dac (CS43131). There's an issue with it.
I paired it with transport player Tempotec V1. 5 or 6 times while playing a song the music stops for shares of milliseconds. I even can't say whether it is stopping or clicks but they exist. I tried to play with different player settings but in vain. I tried the player with Dodocool DAC and everything is fine. No clicks/stopping.
Any ideas how to fix the clicks/stopping?

OP
T

tomli747

Mine is less frequent.
It's less than one time per song.
It seems this dongle is not running asynchronous mode so I don't think there is an easy fix for this.

xjanx

I actually wanted to get that normal Meizu dongle first but decided now to get the pro version.
Will give an update here within the next few weeks.

Anyone using a Meizu dongle, how does it compare with the ESS DACs in LG phones (V30 etc.)?

TuneInSoul

A friend told me the measurements of this dongle nearly as same as SMSL d1’s, I am not sure about it, he said someone measured it with apx555.

xxiii

Recently on sale there is a version of Meizu HiFi Dac Pro, added amplifier. Sounds a little better now .

OP
T

tomli747

Wow. It translates to 110dB THD+N ratio which is impressive. I think the only drawback is that the dongle isn't asynchronous mode.

August

My Meizu HiFi DAC doesn't work with Windows 7 64 "This device can not start (Code 10)". Android is fine but Windows.. I didn't find any Windows driver for that DAC, really no idea how to get it to work.
You need windows 10, which integrates uac2.0 driver. Any audio device without a dedicated driver should use windows 10.:)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Wow. It translates to 110dB THD+N ratio which is impressive.
Remember that the numbers are A-weighted, which is misleading at best.

Veri

Master Contributor
My Meizu HiFi DAC doesn't work with Windows 7 64 "This device can not start (Code 10)". Android is fine but Windows.. I didn't find any Windows driver for that DAC, really no idea how to get it to work.
Windows 7 no longer has an up-to-date general purpose audio driver :/ you need W10.

Top Bottom