• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First Images Of A Black Hole

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Looks like my credit card statement...:cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You'd think that with all that high tech gear, they could get the image focused. I'm thinking a line conditioner, audiophile-grade USB cables, or Bybee Quantum Purifiers might vastly improve things. Of course, those astronomers are way behind on the advances made in high end audio so may be unaware of the technological options they could be using.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd think that with all that high tech gear, they could get the image focused. I'm thinking a line conditioner, audiophile-grade USB cables, or Bybee Quantum Purifiers might vastly improve things. Of course, those astronomers are way behind on the advances made in high end audio so may be unaware of the technological options they could be using.
Real astronomers would use their eyes and not be fooled by measures which construct an image no one really sees.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The event horizon is 38,000,000,000 km / 23,612,105,305 miles in diameter. Give or take.

1555206139043.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hmm...

"A microarcsecond is about the size of a period at the end of a sentence in the Apollo mission manuals left on the Moon as seen from Earth. "

At 55 million light years distance...
"the black hole is only about 42 microarcseconds across on the sky. "

"The EHT observations use a technique called very-long-baseline interferometry (VLBI) which synchronises telescope facilities around the world and exploits the rotation of our planet to form one huge, Earth-size telescope observing at a wavelength of 1.3 mm. VLBI allows the EHT to achieve an angular resolution of 20 micro-arcseconds — enough to read a newspaper in New York from a sidewalk café in Paris."

Habu

Hello from France,
They could show us an example picture taken from Earth of something left on the moon by astronauts....

Sincerely yours,
Habu

JSmith

Master Contributor
Looks like Australian researchers have just upped the ante;
The fastest-growing black hole ever recorded — increasing the equivalent of one sun every day — has been discovered by researchers at the Australian National University (ANU).

The black hole's mass is roughly 17 billion times that of our solar system's Sun, and exists within the brightest currently known thing being continually powered in the universe.

JSmith

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean, if you are 17billion Solar masses already, would you really notice a sun a day in gained mass? I mean that’s like 0.000000006 grams a day to me.

Top Bottom