• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First Home-hifi

DanielT

Major Contributor
You're looking at the wrong data. Here are the actual measurements for the Behringer A8000: Max 240W / 4 Ohm and 140W / 8 Ohm
Aiyima A08 cannot reach that value even at the greatest distortion.
Two pcs? But then of course there will be bigger holes in the wallet.

Can be:

In any case, tip, this thread:

Pages 90-92 discuss how much power may be needed. Incidentally, not only in the thread that question pops up. The power issue usually appears in many threads. This is probably one of the most common thoughts /worry on a Hifi forum. That together with the question of when distortion becomes audible (which is related to effect, among other things, clipping that is) and how to integrate subwoofers with the top speakers and the listening room in a sensible way.:)

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you can do an EQing with your new setup you will be all set up. If you think the Klipsch are too bright on the top end just EQ it down to where you like it.
Yes, you can EQ speakers (the entire register 20-20 kHz), but if they have high distortion, it is in itself that does not disappear with EQ.
I do not know the level of distortion Klipsch RP-8000F has

Digby

Major Contributor
Your room is not small, as somebody else already said. I preferred the Behringer B2031As to Genelec 8030c speakers. They certainly go a fair bit louder with more bass and without sounding like they are falling apart. If you need even more volume you could add a sub below 80hz.

I wouldn't encourage you to spend money you might not have or should be spent elsewhere. If you can't buy it outright and not feel the pinch, then I don't think you should be buying much more expensive things over 6, 12 or 18 months, 0APR or not.

Furthermore, I don't think the gains beyond a certain point represent the same value for money, compared to clever shopping around at lower prices. Law of diminishing returns.

OP
H

houjous

You're looking at the wrong data. Here are the actual measurements for the Behringer A8000: Max 240W / 4 Ohm and 140W / 8 Ohm
Aiyima A08 cannot reach that value even at the greatest distortion.
Yup I realized the numbers that were given to me were wrong, thats why they are both off the list

OP
H

houjous

Your room is not small, as somebody else already said. I preferred the Behringer B2031As to Genelec 8030c speakers. They certainly go a fair bit louder with more bass and without sounding like they are falling apart. If you need even more volume you could add a sub below 80hz.

I wouldn't encourage you to spend money you might not have or should be spent elsewhere. If you can't buy it outright and not feel the pinch, then I don't think you should be buying much more expensive things over 6, 12 or 18 months, 0APR or not.

Furthermore, I don't think the gains beyond a certain point represent the same value for money, compared to clever shopping around at lower prices. Law of diminishing returns.
The reason why I said I could do 150/m is because I can handle that...that's not blowing my budget. saving up 500-1000all in one go...that hurts. The reason why I'm here is because I'm looking for feedback before I buy insuring that I am at least trying to get close to what I wanted for the prices I needed. 0apr is like free money tbh. look at is this way. I could spend 500-1000usd straight up and own it...but why? I could spend that 150 a month on the stuff and then buy stocks with the rest of it. While im paying no more than I was going to all at once...I can instead use that money to work for me.

Digby

Major Contributor
You can do what you want, it's up to you. there is nothing wrong with credit, it can work for people, but some use it to live beyond their means.

if 500-1000 is a lot in one go, then check the last paragraph in my previous post again, i think it has value.

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you have the desire, time and opportunity, study your used hifi market. Learn what the stuff in your country, where you live, can usually be bought and sold for. Check out some well-known brands / models. Both speakers and amplifiers. Buy two pairs of speakers, two pairs of amplifiers. Test yourself. Then sell the ones you like the least.:)

It also does not have to be so scientific. You can let the subconscious rule. Choose the solution you play with the most in a number of months. It's what you like best. It's what suits you. Listen for a long time. Sometimes it's just a love affair that does not turn into long lasting love.:)
But used is used. No guarantees, it can break (although it rarely did for me), humming transformers in old amplifiers (can be so, does not have to be the case).

To tune in to your Hifi system with EQ, fix with the acoustics in the listening room makes sense to tinker with. Can give more good sound than buying a new amplifier for example. It can give a lot more maybe I should add.

Edit:
As an example. I could buy these gadgets and I know I would go plus or minus zero if I sold them later. Took only a few from a used hifi site in Sweden. I do not know what the equivalent costs in your country. This would suit me, my taste in music and Hifi, and my room .. Just shows the principle itself.

Speaker, Elac Debut Reference DBR62
$ 420 for a couple.

Amplifier I saw last week a Harman Kardon HK 670. It is a good model of amplifier such I have had. $ 100

Subwoffer I would buy the DIY wIth two Seas sub drivers. They usually cost around $ 360 each (these are good drivers). Used two pieces barely played $ 200. Then some money to carve together a couple of sub boxes.

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-11_13-30-10.png
    shot_2021-12-11_13-30-10.png
    937.6 KB · Views: 66
  • shot_2021-12-11_13-34-02.png
    shot_2021-12-11_13-34-02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 1v1jmr1wn8051 (1) (1) (1).jpg
    1v1jmr1wn8051 (1) (1) (1).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211115_205731251 (1) (1).jpeg
    20211115_205731251 (1) (1).jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I want to explain something i was thinking but didn't put in plain language. When looking at power, the single biggest issue is the sensitivity of your speakers. If you are looking at 90db/m or higher than any real 100 watt per channel amp would do fine. Once you are up over 105db in actual volume you are limited by amplifier and the individual speaker design. If you wanted to go even higher, a pro-audio speaker that is up at 105db/m sensitivity would be awesome. So, look at efficient speakers and you do not have to spend so much on an amplifier. Just a good 100 watt per channel amp and you will be rocking.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I want to explain something i was thinking but didn't put in plain language. When looking at power, the single biggest issue is the sensitivity of your speakers. If you are looking at 90db/m or higher than any real 100 watt per channel amp would do fine. Once you are up over 105db in actual volume you are limited by amplifier and the individual speaker design. If you wanted to go even higher, a pro-audio speaker that is up at 105db/m sensitivity would be awesome. So, look at efficient speakers and you do not have to spend so much on an amplifier. Just a good 100 watt per channel amp and you will be rocking.
In fact, what you say is true, but then this comes with distortion into the picture and complicates it when it comes to speakers, so it is another parameter if you want high SPL and decent Hifi sound.

There is little to think about. But it's fun, at least I think. The most fun is of course to try a few different hifi gadgets IRL.

The thing that I think we agree on is that out of a budget on Hifi, most of the money, most gunpowder should be put on the speakers.:)

Dirty

I recently did a fairly budget system. Not sure if many people would consider Hifi, but it's certainly the nicest sound system I've had. I found a couple JBL 305P MkII speakers used - like new, for $200. Bought a Schiit Modius DAC and an iFi ZEN Blue v2. I listen to primarily classical music, but enjoy some 80's/90's/2k rock/alt/metal, classic rock from the 60's and 70's, and Motown. It's been a very adequate a enjoyable system to listen to. I would definitely second looking at used market for equipment. There's good deals to be had.

rs172

So this conversation just got a fork in it. I found a new competitor for speakers and its going to change the entire dynamic of this convo The Klipsch RP-6000F floorstanding speakers. Technically its a 700dollar speaker but its 0apr at 60bucks a month on their main webpage. that opens me up for lot more room in the DAC/Amp department. I'm now open to anything ~440 + 60/m total price or 150/m total. If the D10B is still worthy of the extra room; it does look like the right buy
I have been using Klipsch rp-6000f for about two years. They are used with a Gustard r26 dac connected to a Denafrips Hestia preamp and an ANC2100 poweramp.
I have an enormous soundstage width and depth, the sound is holographic and at times competes with my full dolby atmos 5.1.4 system.
I have a SVS-pb2000 pro sub but I never use it in stereo since the klipsch provide a very deep and articulate base. I think those speakers are a great bang for the buck in terms of sound quality.

Top Bottom