• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First hifi system

Reli

Firstly thanks all for the information in this forum, amazing.

I am new to audio world and realised that I really enjoy it. I am starting to build my first system and I was hoping if someone can help as I am not sure if I am missing anything to get me started?

I have:
Speaker - Elac dbr-62
Amplifier- Topping PA5
Dac - Topping D10 B
Audio Source - I would like to use the laptop and raspberrypi that I already have as would be mostly listening from TIDAL. Also I have a DAB radio ( Revo supersignal), would I be able to use as it has stereo rca connector (red and black)?

Thanks

Harryharryharry

That will be a very nice sounding system!

I'd recommend buying second hand where you can, as this saves a fair amount and means you can swap stuff without losing much.

I believe you can use RCA to TRS cables with the pa5, you will obviously lose the balance but that's not the end of the world.

I've used a raspberry pi which was fine but a bit noisy. If you want great user experience I highly recommend the Wiim mini streamer, everything you need for £80 and it just works.

That being said if you want to venture into room correction you can do this on a Pi.

Enjoy

Harryharryharry

On the PA5 fault topic, I had two, one broke one didn't. The one that broke was left on all the time.

The service was responsive and said they'd fix it if they found it faulty.

Returning to China is a pain though and my amp is currently lost as the courier sent it to Canada by mistake

However, they do sound incredible. I upgraded from a Hypex nc252 and felt the topping was a big jump in sound quality despite the Hypex supposedly being as good as transparent...

DanielT

Major Contributor
It seems good, your thoughts but with exceptions PA5.I say like sweetchaos, wait with PA5.

When choosing an amplifier, think about functionality. Remote control? Multiple inputs, phono input? You might, who knows, want to plug in a record player in the future? It's a record player trend, boom, now.:)

Subwoofer output on the amplifier in case you want to plug in a subwoofer in the future.

Here's a question and with that follows: are interested in loudness functionality on your amplifier::)

And so on.:)

Edit:
Here, based on your speakers and conditions, you can calculate the level of amp power:

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I am new to audio world and realised that I really enjoy it. I am starting to build my first system and I was hoping if someone can help as I am not sure if I am missing anything to get me started?

I have:
Speaker - Elac dbr-62
Amplifier- Topping PA5
Dac - Topping D10 B
Audio Source - I would like to use the laptop and raspberrypi that I already have as would be mostly listening from TIDAL. Also I have a DAB radio ( Revo supersignal), would I be able to use as it has stereo rca connector (red and black)?

Thanks
Sounds like a great starting point, and may be everything you ever need. It's a really good system.

Biggest improvement you can make, and to make sure that your system is used to it's full potential ... is to measure now. (REW software, a measuring microphone and loads of help from here). That'll make more difference than anything else.

Edit - didn't realise that you hadn't bought the kit yet. Echo the caveat on the PA5, mine is repaired. Measurement advice still stands:)

OP
R

Reli

It seems good! Says like sweetchaos, wait with PA5.

When choosing an amplifier, think about functionality. Remote control? Multiple inputs, phono input? You might, who knows, want to plug in a record player in the future? It's a record player trend, boom, now.:)

Subwoofer output on the amplifier in case you want to plug in a subwoofer in the future.

And so on.:)
Thanks. Yes I have realised that the list is endless lol hence why I asked if is anything else just to get me started for now and slowly adding the rest as you said.

jae

Major Contributor
Do you have any of the items you listed already or is it just your list? Total budget? Country?

OP
R

Reli

Sounds like a great starting point, and may be everything you ever need. It's a really good system.

Biggest improvement you can make, and to make sure that your system is used to it's full potential ... is to measure now. (REW software, a measuring microphone and loads of help from here). That'll make more difference than anything else.

Edit - didn't realise that you hadn't bought the kit yet. Echo the caveat on the PA5, mine is repaired. Measurement advice still stands:)
That's great. Was speaking to a colleague at work and I didn't know he has microphone to measure the sound in his studio which I can borrow now :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have:
Speaker - Elac dbr-62
Amplifier- Topping PA5
Dac - Topping D10 B

Thanks
Raspberry is fine, there is no factual evidence that it is noisy and affecting sound. You can run Moode (free) or Volumio on it which even have various EQs integrated to be used to adjust to your room.

OP
R

Reli

Do you have any of the items you listed already or is it just your list? Total budget? Country?
For now I only have the speaker. I have been reading in the forum about a good amp to match the speakers and there were not much choice on my budget ( dac & amp ~ £400).

DanielT

Major Contributor
For now I only have the speaker. I have been reading in the forum about a good amp to match the speakers and there were not much choice on my budget ( dac & amp ~ £400).
Those Elac dbr-62 are most certainly a very good choice. In fact, they are some of, perhaps even the most, recommended speakers in that price range here at ASR.:D

Triliza

Forum Donor
Audiophonics has some nice Hypex Ncore NC252MP amps, but they cost about £439, with the dac it will be much more than your allocated budget. Whatever you buy, try to go balanced, you're setting a nice system that you'll probably keep for a long time, especially if you learn to use REW and apply eq with your PI (Moode/CamillaDSP).

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I would invest in some good Hypex ncore amps and take a small part of your budget on a dac and raspberry pi.
Then when budget allows I would suggest something like the minidsp flex as dac and eq.
Then a sub

DanielT

Major Contributor
Or a Yamaha amp?:)

yamaha-a-s501.jpg
yamaha_a-s501_silver-28185076-xtra7.jpg

OP
R

Reli

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks, the s501would be a good option :)
Look here, from the thread I referenced::)

Screenshot_2022-09-16_120832.jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom