• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First hi-fi system with Canton Chrono SL 586.2

trifon3fon

Hello,
I recently bought the Canton Chrono SL 586.2 speakers and want to build my first hi-fi system around them. I am currently looking at:
1) Power Amp - AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S250NC Stereo Class D Amplifier (800 EUR)
2) DAC + Preamp - Topping D30 Pro (400 eur)
3) Streamer - Ifi Zen Stream (400 eur)
I would like to use the system also with a tv and bluray player, hence looking for at least 3 inputs to the DAC/Preamp stage (Streamer+Blueray+TV).

What do you think of the above config? Can you recommend any improvements or highlight any issues?
One small thing is that none of the upstream devices have 12v trigger to power the amp.
I like the fact that the audio phonics amp has both RCA and XLR ports, so if later on I want to do also multichannel, I can still use the power amp to power my 2 front speakers via the pre-outs of say a Denon AVR.
Thank you

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice system! For me, the obvious thing missing is some sort of digital room correction. I would suggest replacing the D30 Pro + Zen streamer with MiniDSP Flex + WiiM Mini, both devices tested by Amir and both also available at Audiophonics. Is there a specific reason you're considering the iFi, perhaps the WiiM Mini could achieve everything you want at a much lower price point?

Triliza

Forum Donor
Hi and welcome. I don't remeber any Canton measured on ASR, but from some discussions about them in here, it seems they are very nice speakers with a great price. And I like how they look.

Audiophonics amp are suggested alot around here, so good choice there. Topping D30 Pro is known (if I remember correctly) to have pairing problems with many devices (CD, Blueray players, don't remember about TVs). Read the D30 Pro review topic for more info, I wouldn't recommend it, look for another model.

If you are slightly considering multichannel as a possible route in the future, I'd suggest you buy an AVR right away and drop all the rest, say Denon X3800 or such. It depends, but I think you won't need external amps for your speakers, most of the time the internal amps of AVRs are enough to cover your needs. Streaming can be done with them, automatic wake up with the TV, room correction, maybe an AVR will cover all your needs.

OP
T

trifon3fon

Nice system! For me, the obvious thing missing is some sort of digital room correction. I would suggest replacing the D30 Pro + Zen streamer with MiniDSP Flex + WiiM Mini, both devices tested by Amir and both also available at Audiophonics. Is there a specific reason you're considering the iFi, perhaps the WiiM Mini could achieve everything you want at a much lower price point?
Thank you, good point on the room correction, my placement will not be optimal, so will look into it. As for the streamer, both do tidal connect and Spotify connect, which is what I need. I thought to connect the zen via usb to the dac for better connection and to leave the optical and coax for the tv and the Blu-ray player. With the wiim I won’t have enough inputs to hook in the tv and the Blu-ray.

OP
T

trifon3fon

Hi and welcome. I don't remeber any Canton measured on ASR, but from some discussions about them in here, it seems they are very nice speakers with a great price. And I like how they look.

Audiophonics amp are suggested alot around here, so good choice there. Topping D30 Pro is known (if I remember correctly) to have pairing problems with many devices (CD, Blueray players, don't remember about TVs). Read the D30 Pro review topic for more info, I wouldn't recommend it, look for another model.

If you are slightly considering multichannel as a possible route in the future, I'd suggest you buy an AVR right away and drop all the rest, say Denon X3800 or such. It depends, but I think you won't need external amps for your speakers, most of the time the internal amps of AVRs are enough to cover your needs. Streaming can be done with them, automatic wake up with the TV, room correction, maybe an AVR will cover all your needs.
Yes avr is the other route to go and more straightforward. I don’t like that denon doesn’t do tidal connect but that can be solved with another device hooked into the avr and not the most important part of the system anyway.

Triliza

Forum Donor
There is also something like Yamaha WXC-50, if you want to have more choices available.

Top Bottom