• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First go with Dirac

JungleXray

So, I have been messing around with my new miniDSP SHD. First of all the thing is awesome. I'm really glad I tried it! Buying it is something I would have never done without the review and the knowledge shared on this site.

After quickly familiarizing myself with the SHD plug in and the Dirac software I took some measurements. I attached them at the bottom of my post.

Wow. Whatever it did, it sounds incredible. My setup is asymmetrical against the long wall of a 17x12x9 room. There was almost like a second stereo image echo to my left. The vocals on any recording would be smeared across the whole sound stage between the speakers. Imaging was just in general very poor. Although I knew the image was smeared in my listening/living room, I had no idea how bad it was. With Dirac, all of that is gone. The image is just incredible. It's pin point in front of me. I feel like I can reach out and touch it... if that makes any sense lol The bass is smoothed out and is now heard with more detail than I ever knew was possible.

It's really blowing my mind haha.

I'd love to hear any advice on how I can further improve the frequency response and imaging. Maybe the PEQ in the DSP software? I did use the PEQ in on of my presets to boost the bass after the Dirac. Just kinda messing around.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.21.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.21.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.22.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.22.10 PM.png

Reactions: wje

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congratulations on a fantastic product! First of all, what speakers do you have and how did you measure? (chair or sofa)

I ask because we often see quite erratic frequency response around 1-2 khz due to reflections from the chair/sofa. That's something the microphone can see but your ears cannot hear and doesn't necessarily needs fixing. Knowing the speakers and how they measure themselves can shed some light on the matter. Basically we don't want to compromise the direct sound to fix some local reflections your ears cannot hear, that will lead to a degradation of the overall sound.

Secondly, do you see those yellow lines at the left and right of the graphs? Those you can slide left and right, deciding the starting point and ending point of the correction from Dirac. I would experiment a little with where you end it - say 500 hz, 700 hz, 1 khz etc to see whether or not you need/want full range correction.

I'd also try to elevate the bass frequencies a little, but you can just as well use Dirac Target for that as PEQs. I'd try to follow the natural curve, maybe like this;

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.21.12 PM_LI.jpg

As you can see, that looks like the "Harman curve" which is actually a typical in-room curve in a reflective room when you have decently designed neutral speakers;

15267-a1e285efebf07c19903e0a7685cee9e2.jpg

Top Bottom