• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First Desktop Set-Up, Looking for a DAC,

R-Oak

hi, i have been a lurker here for a while and the new 20% sale on ebay made me want to post here
after hours upon hours of reading on forums
I went ahead and bough HD6xx on massdrop
i also pretty much decided to buy the bottlehead crak ( it's a shame i missed the last sale ) so i will either wait a few months for it to come back, or bite the bullet and pay a little more

so it would look for something like this :
Computer - DAC (this is where i need help) - bottle head crack - hd6xx

its important to note, that i'm canadian, so every single deal that has expensive shipping to cross borders from the US, kinda kills the deal
i was looking at :
topping d30 : arround 100$ CAD (whit the 20% sale )
topping d50 : arround 230$ CAD (whit the 20% sale )
what should i consider ( optainable on ebay ) my budget is arround 100-200$ but, i'm really just trying to look for a bang for your buck, and i fail to see why a screen is better and warant of the price upgrade

i was also toying whit the idea of geting the aune x1s (dac/amp) in wait for the bottlhead crack sale. but... i would be kinda paying for a balanced dac, and not use that functionality once i used it whit the bottlhead...
so i would end up paying for something I end-up not using

Last edited:
OP
R

R-Oak

a big thanks, i think for the small price difference, ( less than 15$ ) i think i'm going to get the topping d30, alot more flexibility for other use than just my computer.
that being said, for the same price that i can get the topping d30, i can also get the SMSL SANSKIRT 6th
i heard the topping is a little bit of a old design
and something like the smsl might be beter, im pretty sure we are comparing really similar product, but i'm kinda new to all this, and dont have the luxary to just buysomething else in 3 months

or for 30$ more i could also get the SMSL Sanskrit pro 4.0

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I reviewed the Sanskirt 6th awhile ago: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...c-review-s-m-s-l-mini-dac-sanskritt-6th.1728/

While I did not compare it to Topping products then, its measurements are definitely worse.

The DAC performance comes down to implementation, not choice of DAC silicon. As such, I would not listen to internet chatter on what chip is newer than others. Only measurements demonstrate good design from bad.

OP
R

R-Oak

a big thanks amir, coming from a engineering background, i fully adhere to that statement, and i know alot of peaple probably said it, but thanks alot for all your great work.

Top Bottom