• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First DAC. SMSL SU-8, Topping D50, Massdrop x Grace Designs, or Schitt Modi 3

BubbleBack

Hello,
This is my first post to the forum (apologies if this is in the wrong place).

I want to buy my first DAC and I am trying to decide which way to go. Right now I listen to Tidal (maybe switching to Amazon) through my MacBook and my beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp. I use HD6xx headphones.

I have narrowed down my search to four DACs. Two are balanced and two have screens + filters.

So my questions are:
1) How important is a balanced DAC (I plan to upgrade my headphone amp in the next year, something balanced is definitely in the budget)?
2) How important are filters?
3) Are screens important on a DAC? On one hand I think it would be interesting to see the bit rate etc, but on the other hand that might be a distraction from me simply enjoying music.
4) Between the four DACs selected which one would you choose?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you planning to buy an headphone amp too? What is your total budget of DAC+AMP?

OP
B

BubbleBack

I have a beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp now.

Since this is my first DAC I want to be under $500 (though from what I am reading on this site doesn't seem like I need to spend that much).
For the DAC I upgrade to my budget would be $1k-2k but I am not 100% sure I will upgrade. If I do it wont be until I am sure I like using headphones.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Any of the options would be enough for your stated needs.

Of course, if you like some bluetooth flexibility, you could add the D50S into the mix.

OP
B

BubbleBack

Re-reading the Modi 3 review, it looks like this DAC will perform the worst if I use a USB connection, is that correct?

mi-fu

Forum Donor
For the small price difference between D50 and D50s. I would go for D50s too. And it has a remote.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
also, to my ears, effects of filters in DAC are almost negligible

OP
B

BubbleBack

I don't see a huge need for bluetooth considering this will sit at my desk with my computer. Maybe there is another application I am missing?

OP
B

BubbleBack

also, to my ears, effects of filters in DAC are almost negligible
Okay so if the filters are worthless. Why pick the Topping D50/s over the Schitt or the Grace?

Any thoughts on balanced DACs?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I don't see a huge need for bluetooth considering this will sit at my desk with my computer. Maybe there is another application I am missing?

Very useful if you wish to connect up your DAC away from your computer.

Or in another alternative use, as a main system in the house. And the DAC being connected to powered speakers.
You can hook it up and play music or from the TV wirelessly, be it from the phone or a laptop some distance away too.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Okay so if the filters are worthless. Why pick the Topping D50/s over the Schitt or the Grace?

Any thoughts on balanced DACs?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-grace-design-balanced-dac.8201/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-schiit-modi-3-dac.4742/

I think D50s perform the best. see links above.

A balanced DAC would be useful if you have a balanced amp.

OP
B

BubbleBack

If I upgrade to a balanced amp then would the D50 still be the top choice? I have no idea what balanced does for the sound.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
If I upgrade to a balanced amp then would the D50 still be the top choice? I have no idea what balanced does for the sound.

If you will upgrade to a balanced amp, I would pick a balanced DAC.

OP
B

BubbleBack

If I get an amp like a Rupert Neves headphone amp that only has balanced inputs the balanced dac still adds value?

Sak

If you need balanced dac-Su-8.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Borrowed from @Julf from a different post: "Balanced/differential interconnects actually offer common mode noise rejection and avoidance of ground loops. For headphones all they offer is a slight increase in output level (that could be easily be done unbalanced too)."

So having balanced interconnects between your equipment (e.g., XLR outputs on your DAC --> XLR inputs on your amp) is a good thing, but likely more of an insurance policy. With such short cable runs -- I'm assuming your DAC and amp will be near each other if not right on top of each other -- it's probably unlikely you're going to experience noise issues with unbalanced interconnects.

As for balanced outputs on your amp: no change in sound quality, just more power. Perhaps useful if you're planning to drive high impedance headphones, but with a good amp the unbalanced output will be plenty of power for low or medium impedance cans and probably enough even for the high impedance ones.

bravomail

Hello,

So my questions are:
1) How important is a balanced DAC (I plan to upgrade my headphone amp in the next year, something balanced is definitely in the budget)?
2) How important are filters?
3) Are screens important on a DAC? On one hand I think it would be interesting to see the bit rate etc, but on the other hand that might be a distraction from me simply enjoying music.
4) Between the four DACs selected which one would you choose?

1) depends, but usually not important
2) it is good when u have a choice of filters, but usually if there is good filter u don't need a choice
3) screen is what differentiates Chinese from Amrican made. Chinese manufacturers apparently can accommodate for the screen without much extra cost. Usually no effect on sound either way
4) Modi 3 (I already chose, paid with my money)

Top Bottom