• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First DAC/AMP for Headphone

Bambinz

Hi all!
I am a new member of this wonderfull forum and a beginner of the Hi-Fi systems :D I work as Electronics Engineering but, unfortunately, not in the field of audio systems :(

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598, from many years, drived by a Behringer UMC-202HD, where the usage is Music, Gaming and Film.
I like the HD598 but in some situation lack of somethings, therefore I have just buy a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR that should have a better bass extension :).

Can have sense to buy a better AMP/DAC respect the Behringer?
I have read about the Topping DX3 Pro+ or the combo SMSL SU-6/SH-6. The budget therefore is under 300$ (lower is better).

Will be a substantial difference respect the 202HD, or will be only some little differences?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!

Excuse my English, but is not my mother language!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR!:)

Best difference, better sound through EQ. As our ears, ear canals are different, see:

Edit:
This one seems to be popular:

https://neutroncode.com/apps/player

By the way, I'm not a "headphone guy" but there are many here who are. They will probably give you more tips and advice. Good luck!:)

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Take a look at Topping EX5 which is around 350$ (including Amazon but out of stock now). And even that much that you can say that you have compete package covered (balanced, unbalanced and good enough amp [from IEM's to planars that are not particularly very hard to drive]). Don't expect it to be entirely without little quicker (narrow IR remote, remote required for full functionality, BT receiver only...). It's not best in anything but it's very nicely rounded package even it's over your planed budget.
If you really don't need bunch of that (balanced, uper range THD+N achievable or won't either use lo impedance hi SLP or lo impedance high gain planars nor dynamic ones over 300 Ohm's) but only decent (fine performing) one with better coverage for gaming/multimedia consumption take a look at SBX G6 (shouldn't be over 150$). Expect not stellar experience regarding their drivers and software complicity including only basic DSD support in direct mode...).

EdTice

Hi all!
I am a new member of this wonderfull forum and a beginner of the Hi-Fi systems :D I work as Electronics Engineering but, unfortunately, not in the field of audio systems :(

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598, from many years, drived by a Behringer UMC-202HD, where the usage is Music, Gaming and Film.
I like the HD598 but in some situation lack of somethings, therefore I have just buy a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR that should have a better bass extension :).

I have read about the Topping DX3 Pro+ or the combo SMSL SU-6/SH-6. The budget therefore is under 300$ (lower is better).

Will be a substantial difference respect the 202HD, or will be only some little differences?

Not my area of expertise but since this is in the newbie forum, maybe I can add some value. The 204D was reviewed here and the headphone output was mediocre. Also reviewed were topping E30 and L30 both of which measured insanely well and can be had as a pair for under $300 and the combination measures better than the 204HD. Whether you can notice or like a difference, well, there's only one way to find out. But objectively that combo should measure better. Although maybe no better than the DX3 Pro+ I believe the DX3 Pro (not plus) was reviewed here and strongly recommended. You can probably find them used for well under your budget.

EdTice

Not my area of expertise but since this is in the newbie forum, maybe I can add some value. The 204D was reviewed here and the headphone output was mediocre. Also reviewed were topping E30 and L30 both of which measured insanely well and can be had as a pair for under $300 and the combination measures better than the 204HD. Whether you can notice or like a difference, well, there's only one way to find out. But objectively that combo should measure better. Although maybe no better than the DX3 Pro+ I believe the DX3 Pro (not plus) was reviewed here and strongly recommended. You can probably find them used for well under your budget.
The DX3Pro+ is only $200 on amazon right now. Not sure if that's a sale or the normal price.

EdTice

Hi all!

Sorry to reply to myself. The DX3 Pro+ was reviewed here. Its $199 regular price. The very first comment on the review is that its a better choice than the E30/L30 I previously suggested (which was a good choice in the past.) Assuming it can drive your headphones (See @RickSanchez comment) that seems to be the way to go. Given the improved power supply/headphone amplifier, it probably can power yours bug double check. Otherwise, it seems that DX3Pro+ is the way to go based on the measurements done here.

OP
B

Bambinz

Hi all,
thank you very much at all for the tips!
I will read the information about EQ seems to be interesting.

Topping EX5 is out of budget unfortunately and then I don't think that i will need balanced in/out and than I don't think that i will buy in the next future new headphone.

EdTice thank you for the extra information! :)
I have checked with the tool I need arround 20mW for 110dB SPL (for both).

Thank you probably I will buy the DX3Pro+, seems to be that have a good price/performance ratio :)

Top Bottom