• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First attempt with MathAudio

Yameyo

Hi all

I've made my first attempt at room correction using the Foobar MathAudio component and a UMIK-1. I understand the principle that the adjusted frequency response cannot resolve the deep dip between 100hz and 200hz in the left channel (please see below) for fear of causing excessive and harmful driver excursion, and so as per the instructions I've attempted only to resolve the unwanted peaks in the room response. Unfortunately I cannot move my speakers/listening position to better locations in the room (I've done all the rearranging I can reasonably do in the family living room).

What I'm wondering is where on the scale users with more experience might choose to make the correction. Should I be correcting lower (removing more of the dip between 100hz and 200hz), or have I already pushed this correction as far as is reasonable (or too far)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2021-11-09.png

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
So I only have a little more experience (using REW and PEQ in my own living room), but FWIW I'd not worry about the 100Hz dip in the left. Instead, I'd boost a few dB at 2kHz, because that dip is in a range where our ears are much more sensitive.

A few dB at that kind of frequency shouldn't pose any problems for most speakers/amps. Just lower the initial gain by the same amount.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Knocking off the peaks is the main part of the job as you have done. Next, you want to tilt down the response with bass being a bit higher than treble. Otherwise it will sound bass light/bright. If you can't do that, then just move up the bass level by a few dBs. This will also partially help with the dips in low frequencies.

On the notch around 2000 Hz, that you can try to pull up as there is not a lot of energy there. So you should not run into headroom issues. Listen though to the effect and make sure it sounds better with that pulled up.

charleski

Major Contributor
If the 100Hz dip is caused by reflections cancelling the direct signal (which is very possible) then no amount of EQ will correct it. Boosting that area will boost both direct and reflected elements, leading to no change.

OP
Y

Yameyo

Hi all

Thank you very much for your input. The speakers are Q Acoustics 3010i (a hopefully temporary measure, although I've been pleasantly surprised by them). I will try the boost at 2000hz and add in the tilt as suggested. I will post the new chart in case anyone's interested.

Thanks!

jeffbook

MathAudio has a built in tilt setting that should fit Amir's recommendation nicely. As far as the 2 kHz dip is concerned, Foobar has a graphic EQ add-in that can be used for boosting response in that frequency range. In the Preference choice reached under the File tab one can select the DSP manager. Add the graphic EQ add in and place it above the MathAudio add in the list. That way the MathAudio add in will "see" the system response after it has been modified by the graphic EQ when you remeasure with your UMIK microphone. You can iterate the amount of boost in the graphic EQ to fine tune the system response in combination with MathAudio to get the desired results.

OP
Y

Yameyo

Hi all

Amirm/jeffbook, I've added the tilt using the 'neutral' option in MathAudio. Also, rather than use Foobar's EQ, I've just drawn in the 2khz-ish boost directly in MathAudio, so we'll see how well that works. Time to go and play some music! Here are the new adjustments, in case anyone's interested.

Many thanks for the help, all. Amirm, thank you for your review of the WXA-50, which I purchased based on your findings. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

1636653270060.png

OP
Y

Yameyo

Ah, jeffbook, I understand! MathAudio only cuts out frequencies, it cannot directly boost them. So, drawing in my boost at 2khz achieves nothing. I will adjust using the EQ component you suggested, and have a look in the cupboard for my dunce hat. Thanks!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have more ore less the same problem with a dip around 130 hz downwards. I use EasyQ probably not the best solution but i hear an improvement. It is not ideal because it causes probably a sort of anti bellcurve an in theory you could mabey harm your speaker as mathaudio explains. My experience is that when playd not extreme loud it more or less helps to correct the dip. EasyQ let you individualy correct any channel give it a try. Curiouse what is you experience with Mathaudio.

Mathaudio Room Eq targetcurve.jpg
EasyQ.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Y

Yameyo

Hi Snarfie
So sorry, completely missed your last post. I've moved house so I'm about to give Math Audio another go. Did you have any further luck with your experiments?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Snarfie
So sorry, completely missed your last post. I've moved house so I'm about to give Math Audio another go. Did you have any further luck with your experiments?

After using Mathaudio for more than 4 years i don't experiment not much anymore quite satisfied with the result an this dsp software still amazes me every day. The EasyQ resolved quite nicely the dip for my IMF's whithout creating damaging excuesions in my bass drivers. For daily use i forgot offent to correct the dip with EasyQ i really don't notice that much the difference probably.
Let us know the results when finishing your gear setup an Mathaudio in your new house. Hope @amirm will do a review qurious about his findings..

Last edited:
Top Bottom