• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First Attempt to REW

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear FMs,
This is my first attempt to REW and so I must have made many errors, please help and comment what do you think?

Does measurements look properly captured by the looks of it?
Any comments on before EQ response?
I have tried to apply EQ and captured values, how does it look in the snaps?

Setup
[PC] --usb-- [Topping D90 Pre/DAC] --RCA-- [XTZ Edge A2-300 Power AMP] ---------------- Wharfedale diamond 10.7 FS
I am using Dayton UMM-6 Mic for this, uploaded its calibration file to REW (V5.20 Beta 9).

Measurements.jpg

Left-avg EQ.jpg

Right-avg EQ.jpg

Many Thanks.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What's with the regularly occurring peaks in the response? Doesn't look right.

Vertical scaling is exaggerated. Bass/Subwoofer vol. level looks exaggerated.

There should at least be some tiny, small semblance to this:
1610108274227.png

(stereophile)

Use this scaling in REW:
1610108381069.png

or 110 dB to 50 dB

There are lots of examples in the ff. thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/share-your-in-room-measurements.13540/

I would hold doing any kind of EQ correction before one is able to figure out how to measure, show and/or read FR measurement graphs better.

Slobmw

Forum Donor
That looks like a room simulation output. I’ve never seen a measurement look like that.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks like a room simulation output. I’ve never seen a measurement look like that.
Yes, that peak at 60 looks more like a narrow EQ adjustment than a mode. Or AC hum...

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Thank you @ahofer , @Slobmw and @ernestcarl for responding.
I took a few captures today using a different laptop, strange that I captured measurements with amp powered ON as well as powered off (no speaker sound, no sweep sound). Both the captures showed similar captures, may be indication of faulty microphone?

1.jpg

escape2

"No output selected, no sound through speakers" - that doesn't sound right. If you're not getting any sound during measurement, then you're not measuring it.

What does your Preferences --> Soundcard tab look like?

OP
Guddu

Guddu

"No output selected, no sound through speakers" - that doesn't sound right. If you're not getting any sound during measurement, then you're not measuring it.

What does your Preferences --> Soundcard tab look like?

I am using D90 DAC via USB, so selected it during measurements.
But this time I selected onboard sound card (realtek) to ensure speakers won't pay anything, so there was no sweep or pink noise but still REW showed the same graph as before when speakers played the sweep.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh boy!

there is something fundamentally wrong.

uninstall the whole program, install it again and follow the guide below precisely (Harman curve optional)

From there you can experiment.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Oh boy!

there is something fundamentally wrong.

uninstall the whole program, install it again and follow the guide below precisely (Harman curve optional)

From there you can experiment.

I actually used this video to setup everything, will give it a go again from scratch tonight.
Thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try using 50 dB between min and max on the Y scale, which is kind of the default to show speaker measurements.

Slobmw

Forum Donor
I actually used this video to setup everything, will give it a go again from scratch tonight.
Thanks.

Keep playing with it! I found setup to be tricky the first few times I tried to use it.

Top Bottom