• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First album? First single? Medium?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First album: Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses on cassette
First single: The Dream Team is in the House! by The Dream Team on vinyl 12"

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First album: Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits on cassette

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Hugo9000

First album:
Richard Wagner
Great Orchestral Highlights from "The Ring"
George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra
on LP

I picked it out on a shopping outing with my grandmother when I was a child. I watched classical concerts on PBS whenever I could, but I never cared for classical radio stations. They never seemed to play anything interesting whenever I'd turn on the radio, or I'd catch the final two minutes or so of a work I liked. Oh, the luxury of owning a huge collection of all of my favorite music as an adult, or even being able to check out something new at will on youtube or Spotify or whatever!

(I think my first album also qualifies as a "single," since its content is a mere fraction of the whole work, which takes 14 hours or more to perform hahaha! Pop "singles" have two songs taken from an album of ten songs or thereabouts, after all. lol)

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Tull - Thick as a Brick. I think I was 12.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
April Wine - Nature of the Beast (One of the few albums my mother would not toss into the fireplace and burn...lol.. some of the stuff I had was pretty controversial at the time.)

Davelemi

Forum Donor
First anything- hi Infidelity (tape)

3BB3C1C5-2674-4D01-9133-76242EEE8875.jpeg

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First I think was maybe some borowed casette (forgotten over years), but one of the first (if not first) enjoyment in full album was Billy Idol - Cyberpunk (1993 concept album), on CD, which started my regular visiting of local CD rental service that time (later it was banned in our country).
I listened to that recording many many times, and it remained in my heart :)

Some trivia from wiki:
In 1993, Idol released Cyberpunk.[25] Regarded as experimental, it was recorded in a home studio using a Macintosh computer. Idol used Studiovision and Pro-Tools to record the album. The album took ten months to make. Idol recorded the album with guitarist Mark Younger-Smith and producer Robin Hancock. Special editions of the album were issued with a floppy disk which contained a screensaver. It was one of the first albums which listed the e-mail address of the artist (idol@well.sf.ca.us, now inactive) in its booklet. The album was successful in UK and Europe, but it did not perform well in the United States, despite the commercial success of Shock to the System. Idol toured in Europe and also played a Generation X reunion show in 1993.

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
FIrst single
question-mark-and-the-mysterians-i-need-somebody-cameo-parkway-s.jpg

First LP

original_460.jpg

All played on my first TT

triotrack.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first vinyl LP was some K-Tel record in the early 70’s. My first vinyl records by an artist/band wChicago At Carnegie Hall and Seals and Croft Summer Breeze bought through the Columbia House record club. I don’t recall my first 45 single.

1580559489864.png

1580559999501.png

This is what I played them on:
1580559722985.jpeg

Martin

Last edited:
Top Bottom