• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fine sounding passive loudspeakers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am looking for a really fine measuring, great sounding pair of passive speakers to use with my Mola-Mola amps.
On my ‘possible’ list,
Paradigm 9H
JBL Everest/K2 M2/4367
I have already tried owned quite a number, suggestions welcome,
Keith

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any measurements of the Technics?
Keith

38530-technics_sbr1_lab2.jpg

From a Polish mag.

The black curve is with grille. You can ignore those. 15 and 30 degrees are horizontal off-axis. 7 degree curves are vertical off-axis.

For what's it worth, here's more detailed Stereophile measurements of the 2-way coaxial standmount variant of this design. The directivity matching at the crossover region for the standmount is exemplary. Unfortunately the Polish graphs are not detailed enough to make any conclusions about off-axis behaviour about the SB-R1.

For reference, here's the JBL 4367 measured by the same mag:

50772-jbl_4376_audiocompl_lab2.jpg

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith, after thinking about this a good bit, I believe you should try the KEF Blade 2.

Why? Sure, they're very well engineered with comprehensive public measurements and numerous positive reviews, but that's just a basic requirement around here. Much, much more important in YOUR position is that the driver complement (1" tweeter, 5" mid & 4x 6.5" woofers) is an exact match for the Kii's. I doubt you can find better speakers to compare newfangled, DSP actives versus traditional separate components in this rough price range.

Just think of the benefits for a Desperate Dealer! You can finally prove whether the Kii's bottom-octave output is truly adequate. Customers who do not need 25Hz @ 110+dB or who do care a bit about price will have a truly valid benchmark during their auditions. Those who want the output can see the BXT's additional cost in context against the Blade/Mola system's sticker. And, if the passive combo is generally preferred, you'll have a high-end option to offer. Ka-ching!

Apologies if it sounds like I'm teasing you. Not intended. I'd love to see this comparison, documented well. Do it!

noobie1

Magicos measure pretty well. If cost and weight were no object, I’d go for a pair of S7’s.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
When you buy them they are just two drivers in a box, what is that called?
Keih

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can buy them just as a ‘speaker’ no amps or crossover, really I don’t know what JBL were thinking they could have taken been so much more.
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On this "Is M2 an active or passive speaker?" question, I realise it basically comes down to semantics, but if you look at classic definitions of an active speaker, you'll see that it's defined as a speaker having an active crossover. An active crossover is one in which the divider network (and any other processing) takes place prior to the amplification stage. On this definition, the M2 is an active speaker. FWIW IMHO etc :)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On this "Is M2 an active or passive speaker?" question, I realise it basically comes down to semantics, but if you look at classic definitions of an active speaker, you'll see that it's defined as a speaker having an active crossover. An active crossover is one in which the divider network (and any other processing) takes place prior to the amplification stage. On this definition, the M2 is an active speaker. FWIW IMHO etc :)

It is possible (though rare) to have a passive line-level crossover, so I don't think placement wrt amplification is quite an accurate characterisation.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is possible (though rare) to have a passive line-level crossover, so I don't think placement wrt amplification is quite an accurate characterisation.

I'm happy with that qualifier. It doesn't change how the definition applies to the M2 in any event :)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only restricted to dome or horn tweeters?

I'm a fan of true ribbons, though they don't seem to be universally loved here.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is possible (though rare) to have a passive line-level crossover
I've never seen a product like this, seems a mad idea, what exists out there like this?

My simple definition of active is where the crossover needs a power supply.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy them just as a ‘speaker’ no amps or crossover, really I don’t know what JBL were thinking they could have taken been so much more.
Keith
Not true. Given their design and targeted audience, there is a reason.

I urge you to understand polar plots too rather than just a FR.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
JBL 708i ( I couldn't spot the difference with the active one side by side)
Dynaudio m5p (expensive but Bob Katz use them for ex)
Geithain Passive each size has measurement plots (consistently less flat than the active counterpart)
I concur with the blade 1 or 2.
I am sure Focal has great ones too but measurements are hard to find.

Last edited:
Top Bottom