• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finding the Right DSP Box for Subwoofer Crossover and PEQ

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a DSP box I can use for a subwoofer crossover and to perform basic room correction with PEQ. At the moment, the best option looks to be the Behringer DCX2496. Based on the DEQ2496 measurements I'm not expecting stellar SINAD numbers from it and would prefer a nicer interface, but at least it looks to meet my essential requirements. Hopefully someone will know of something else which fits all these. Probably from some sort of pro audio company that's not very well known to average "audiophiles" and that I didn't see on Sweetwater.

Balanced analog I/O - at least 2 in, 4 out
Preferably XLR
This one is at least easy. :)

Low latency
My usage is split between games and music.
This rules out the high SINAD miniDSP SHD which is like 20ms.
The DCX2496 specifies <1ms in the manual.

Lots of presets
I'm pretty sure this rules out miniDSPs unless you can make it a one or two click operation from the PC software since they only have 4 internally. Why on Eath do they keep their config software behind a paywall and not let you download and run it in a demo mode like pretty much everyone else?

Channel Mixer/Bass Management
Ability to sum L&R into a 3rd channel, low pass it, and send it to two or more subs.
The dbx DriveRack PA2 seems to lack this feature, but would be great otherwise. The 260 can do it but costs even more and doesn't have the nice new Windows control software of the PA2. The VENU360 might too, but is even more money and has poor measurements.

No phone apps required
No features should require a phone app.
Windows software or a web interface is fine.

Bonus features which wouldn't be deal-breakers to loose
The DCX2496 has has a limiter, which I can use to sooth my paranoia and worry.
Compressors and expanders would be fun too.

Budget?
This is flexible. I could go up to a couple grand if someone points out something amazing that I've overlooked but I don't want to spend Trinnov Amethyst money...

kiwifi

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll take a look at the manual and software.

kiwifi

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll take a look at the manual and software.
FYI: You can download and run the (free) software without the hardware being present.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a pair of QSC DSP-4 to attach 4 subs to the two sub outs from my AVR. Highly configurable via drag & drop software. Details here...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/qsc-dsp-4-digital-signal-processor.25006/

I took a quick look at the sepc sheet an manual, and then the current site, but the whole QSC DSP-X series is only 2 in, 2 out.

There newer "Q-SYS" line has models with more analog I/O but it looks like you are paying a huge premium for their network audio channels which I won't be using at all.

kiwifi

I took a quick look at the sepc sheet an manual, and then the current site, but the whole QSC DSP-X series is only 2 in, 2 out.

There newer "Q-SYS" line has models with more analog I/O but it looks like you are paying a huge premium for their network audio channels which I won't be using at all.
For 2 in 4 out you would need two DSP-4.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For 2 in 4 out you would need two DSP-4.

Yeah, I could use one for L and one for R, but I'd rather save the step of having to switch presets on two separate devices.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found the Mackie SP260 but it seems kind of so-so. The software doesn't seem any better than the DCX's and the crosssovers don't go any steeper than 24dB/octave.

At this point, I'm thinking that switching presets on the miniDSP Flex through the config software may be the "best" option assuming that the non-Dirac version has low latency.

kiwifi

I found the Mackie SP260 but it seems kind of so-so. The software doesn't seem any better than the DCX's and the crosssovers don't go any steeper than 24dB/octave.

At this point, I'm thinking that switching presets on the miniDSP Flex through the config software may be the "best" option assuming that the non-Dirac version has low latency.
I don't understand why you would need multiple presets? Once your subs are integrated with your mains and dialed into your room, you are done!

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why you would need multiple presets? Once your subs are integrated with your mains and dialed into your room, you are done!

Why wouldn't you need them? Pretty much everyone can benefit from a "night mode" with a considerable bass cut. Then there's different presets for different listening positions. I have two different common LPs so those combine to 4 presets right there.

After that I want to experiment with crossing over the subs to headphones when I need isolation from the droning A/C during the summer.

I'm sure I'll keep thinking of more...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BSS BLU-50? I/O uses Phoenix connectors, which are IMO better because it's less work to cut cables to length and screw the conductors in than crimp or solder XLR connectors. No idea re latency. No fan. You can also go digital in with a separate box (BLU-USB to convert USB to Blu-Link, BLU-DA to convert Dante to Blu-Link).

I'm not sure how presets work but I think they are configurable in London Architect or Audio Architect if you're willing to suffer with using a windows thing to control your DSP in real time.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BSS BLU-50? I/O uses Phoenix connectors, which are IMO better because it's less work to cut cables to length and screw the conductors in than crimp or solder XLR connectors. No idea re latency. No fan. You can also go digital in with a separate box (BLU-USB to convert USB to Blu-Link, BLU-DA to convert Dante to Blu-Link).

I'm not sure how presets work but I think they are configurable in London Architect or Audio Architect if you're willing to suffer with using a windows thing to control your DSP in real time.

That sure is a rabbit hole. It even has GPIO pins(!) on it so maybe I could program preset selector or something.

Will hopefully have time to watch their Audio Architect videos on YT soon.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So the feature set looks absolutely killer. It's also a lot easier to find info on than the QSC and Xilica stuff which I'm assuming is aimed at similar markets.

The next big questions is how clean is the D/A? I might be able to put up with a little hiss for ~$300 but not for ~$1400.

Combining the manual and spec sheet, THD [No Noise!] of 0.005% typical at +4 dBu, 1kHz, 0 dB input gain and 110dB A-weighted dynamic range at 19dBu is a bit off-putting...

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So it turns out the BSS BLU feature set is too good for me to resist.

I found a deal on a used BLU-160 maxed out with analog I/O cards for less than a new BLU-50 so I'm going to give it a shot.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So it turns out the BSS BLU feature set is too good for me to resist.

I found a deal on a used BLU-160 maxed out with analog I/O cards for less than a new BLU-50 so I'm going to give it a shot.

The one thing about BLU-160 is raucous fan noise. If you haven’t already look around the internet for potential solutions.

My other rec is some cable sleeves (ferrules) and a decent ferrule crimper if you don’t have one. Alternately tin the ends of the cable going into the Phoenix connector.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one thing about BLU-160 is raucous fan noise. If you haven’t already look around the internet for potential solutions.

I'm going to replace the fans with Noctuas or something and see if that helps enough. If not I can just move it to the warehouse/server room on the other side of the wall.

My other rec is some cable sleeves (ferrules) and a decent ferrule crimper if you don’t have one.

I'm definitely going to have to get some when I make the cables up for final install to make it nice and clean.

Still not sold on phoenix connectors though. Sure they're small and easy to terminate, but they've got no strain relief at all. Any good solution to that?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still not sold on phoenix connectors though. Sure they're small and easy to terminate, but they've got no strain relief at all. Any good solution to that?

Phoenix Contact has some with a tail that you can run one or two zip ties through for strain relief. I bought some of those for my Crown DCI amps. Check the spacing - not sure what BLU-160 requires.

OP
maverickronin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Phoenix Contact has some with a tail that you can run one or two zip ties through for strain relief. I bought some of those for my Crown DCI amps. Check the spacing - not sure what BLU-160 requires.

Thanks, found them.

Expensive as hell. Even more expensive than a Neutrik XLR... :facepalm:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try Arrow or TME. I think I sourced mine from one of those venders.

Top Bottom