• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

Sound Liaison

Hi theRealdotnet:) Frans and Isaac Newton never thought about resemblance, but I do have to admit that I on some session doubted Frans' sanity when he was placing microphones differently or using way fewer microphones than what I have seen other engineers do, but hearing the result he has so far always been right.

Madlop26

768 Khz sample rate, I guess great news for the dolphins and bats lol
by the way i found this "the greater wax moth has hearing capable of sensing high-frequency sound up to 300 kHz. This exceeds even bats (who can hear up to 250 kHz) and dolphins (who can hear up to around 160 kHz)"

One more thing: the reason this moth needs that high frequency hearing; to avoid being eaten by bats, haha, nature is amazing

Last edited:

Kijanki

Yes, proper 768 khz music. From Sound Liason which does make very high quality recordings. I'm not aware of commercial offerings at this rate before though maybe I just missed a few. Alas it is only 24 bit instead of proper 32 bit recording.
Perhaps I can interest you in brand new design, I'm working on? It is next generation computer keyboard, allowing to type up to 1 million words per minute.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I can interest you in brand new design, I'm working on? It is next generation computer keyboard, allowing to type up to 1 million words per minute.
I'm all in if you can upgrade my mind to rationally output 1 million words per minute.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One more thing: the reason this moth needs that high frequency hearing; to avoid being eaten by bats, haha, nature is amazing
... and things like this are what led me to become a life scientist. :cool:

jdpurvis

Little known fact - the bias residual is how the examiners determined that the Watergate 18 second gap tape was repeatedly erased. Of course politicians aren't nearly so sophisticated so they get caught. If I were in charge of this conspiracy, the authorities would have been confounded to this day. Goes to show you they didn't hire the right person to do their dirty deeds. :cool:
Minor correction: The gap was 18.5 minutes.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

KMSA

Yes, proper 768 khz music. From Sound Liason which does make very high quality recordings. I'm not aware of commercial offerings at this rate before though maybe I just missed a few. Alas it is only 24 bit instead of proper 32 bit recording.

You can download a free sample track which clocks in just under a gigabyte in size. Pleased to see if you've purchased it at a lower rez, they offer to deduct the cost of that from buying again in the higher rez format. Of course they are transcribing the master tapes from their Studer A80 RTR.

Here is a quote from a promotional email as I'm on their mailing list.

Ray! in 768kHz
The RME company is highly regarded by audio professionals.

Before we started working with Merging, RME was our converter of choice. So when we got offered to test the RME ADI-2 FS, a compact 2-channel AD/DA converter we gladly approved.

The first comparison with our Merging Anubis was immediately positive. Lots of definition, a beautiful soundstage with perfect placement. And after powering it with the Ferrum Hypsos external power supply, a sense of calm and control was added to the experience. This is clearly a serious converter. The RME has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz. To really see what the RME ADI-2 is capable off, we created a 768kHz/24bit file straight from our Studer A80 tape recorder playing the ¼" reel to reel master tape from our latest release.

Listening and A/B comparing with the Studer the result is quite convincing. In our opinion the sound is very close to the analog master tape.
We would like to share the results with you.

Therefore we have made one 768kHz track from the album available for free for a limited time period.
The only favor we ask in return, is that you give us a bit of feedback; Is this a way forward?

Do you also hear an even greater sense of realism compared to the lower formats or are you perfectly happy with the formats you have been using so far?
For anyone who would like to purchase the entire album in 768kHz but has already purchased the album in a lower resolution in the past week, the price difference will be refunded. Send us an email and you will receive a refund within a few days.

Happy New Year and best wishes!
The Sound Liaison team; Frans & Peter
Hi everyone, newbie here.
My first post.
I have the new album in 32/768 -stones-in-my-passway playing it with my RME adi 2. It sounds very very good, especially the 'Dust My Broom' track. I have the CD as well and I do hear a difference but maybe that has more to do with 16bit vs 32 bit ?
a3882488741_13.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor
is 32bit really necessary?
There will never be a DAC that can output 32bit because I think molecules moving would create too much noise. Perhaps if we keep the DAC near absolute zero?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My first post.
I have the new albbum playing it with my RME adi 2. It sounds very very good, especially the 'Dust My Broom' track. I have the CD as well and I do hear a difference but maybe that has more to do with 16bit vs 32 bit ?
a3882488741_13.jpg
The most probably reason for any sound difference is different mastering. I've been vocal about there being no need or benefit from 768 khz vs lower rates and feel the same about 32 bit vs 24 bit. There likely no difference between 96 khz 24 bit and any higher rates or greater bit depths.

If the new Carmen Gomes sounds good that is good news.

And welcome to ASR.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
playing it with my RME adi 2. It sounds very very good, especially the 'Dust My Broom' track. I have the CD as well and I do hear a difference but maybe that has more to do with 16bit vs 32 bit ?
It might be a different mix or a different master. Or, possibly you are not comparing level-matched, or it could just be your imagination (more common than you might think.* )

Sometimes a newer, higher-resolution remaster is Loudness War remastered making it worse (if you enjoy musical dynamic contrast) but that's unlikely with a more modern recording. There is a possibility that the higher resolution versions are more dynamic (less dynamic compression and limiting).

* What is a blind ABX test?.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It might be a different mix or a different master. Or, possibly you are not comparing level-matched, or it could just be your imagination (more common than you might think.* )

Sometimes a newer, higher-resolution remaster is Loudness War remastered making it worse (if you enjoy musical dynamic contrast) but that's unlikely with a more modern recording. There is a possibility that the higher resolution versions are more dynamic (less dynamic compression and limiting).

* What is a blind ABX test?.
Or to put it another way.

If you do a good quality downsample of your 32/768 recording to 16/44.1, you won't hear a difference in real world listening.

If you downsample it to 24/48, no-one can hear a difference under any circumstances.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ok this is complete nonsense... like MQA CD but i digress

i did LOL at the fact the lowest format for sale is FLAC 96k... and no option for even redbook let alone mp3

this sounds like a ploy to sell HDD or SSD space

also:

stream 4 free

Davidpurton

Or to put it another way.

If you do a good quality downsample of your 32/768 recording to 16/44.1, you won't hear a difference in real world listening.

If you downsample it to 24/48, no-one can hear a difference under any circumstances.
Absolutely..

I have a pair of adi-2's...192kHz versions. Superb dacs for sure and more than adequately spec'd for both replay...and recording.

The rush to silly sampling rates is more to do with marketing than any audible differences, particularly with cd at 44.1 and most streaming 48 or 96kHz.

Originally the arguement was you need a sampling rate at least double the highest recorded frequency...which is 20kHz. Thus the somewhat skimpy 44.1...but in truth 48 is probably all you need. I recall when 96kHz became the benchmark...and the race was on!!

It's all specmanship because as we all know the most critical aspect of a dac design is the D to A converter...the processor chips themselves cost a matter of a few quid!

There may be some benefits in a recording situation for higher sampling rates, but for replay, zilch?

KMSA

ok this is complete nonsense... like MQA CD but i digress
i did LOL at the fact the lowest format for sale is FLAC 96k... and no option for even redbook let alone mp3
this sounds like a ploy to sell HDD or SSD space
also:

stream 4 free
The Compact Disk's she sell's sounds very good, especially the ones that Sound Liaison are selling as DXD downloads. These were recorded in in 32/352.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nice sounding recordings sound nice because of quality recording gear being used and knowledgeable people recorded and produced such recordings it has nothing to do with bit-rates and bit-depths.
In the recording stage 24 bits makes sense, on the playback side not so much (24 bit resolution just drowns in practical noise in the studio and home)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first post.
I have the new album in 32/768 -stones-in-my-passway playing it with my RME adi 2. It sounds very very good, especially the 'Dust My Broom' track. I have the CD as well and I do hear a difference but maybe that has more to do with 16bit vs 32 bit ?
a3882488741_13.jpg
Welcome to ASR!

If you are interested in getting to the bottom of what you heard and you're willing to fiddle with digital files a bit, you can take the same song from both formats (you'll need to rip the CD I guess) and use Deltawave to compare the files. This should reveal whether there's a level difference, mastering difference, or something else. My guess is they are playing back at different levels.

Buster

There will never be a DAC that can output 32bit because I think molecules moving would create too much noise. Perhaps if we keep the DAC near absolute zero?
But DAW's, digital workstations that engineers use, they use 32bit, or ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
But DAW's, digital workstations that engineers use, they use 32bit, or ?
Or floating point. But that is so resolution is not lost in the digital domain as a result of all the DSP going on.

Once the production is finished, then conversion to 24bit or even 16bit will make little to no audible difference.

Top Bottom