• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

dc655321

Major Contributor
The sampling theorem applies to a bandwidth limited signal, which makes perfect sense because our hearing is bandwidth limited, that's incontrovertible.

Musical instruments, air, microphones and electronics are also bandwidth limited. I'm sure you realize this too.

radix

Major Contributor
Monty's video is a regular around here.

Does this match your understanding of sampling theory?

What a great video. I wish I had that as an intro back in the day when I took my digital communications class. Looking back on Lee & Messerschmitt, the very first figure that shows a digital signal is, of course, a lollipop diagram.

JWAmerica

And yes, use an analogue tape source with 70dB dynamic range (at best) and/or 3% distortion and/or ~25khz bandwidth for your 768/32 distributions.

What a hoot!
S.
I predict that marketing departments will sell this as being the most accurate reproduction of the original medium. You'll be able to hear every click, pop and hiss in stunning UHD clarity, almost as if you're really listening to a vinyl album!

radix

Major Contributor
Oh wait.. is this supposed to be the argument FOR higher sample rates? Because if you can't staircase it, you need more steps?... Woops :facepalm:;)
What he means is that at 18 kHz, the samples will not make nice steps. But there is still only a single band-limited solution that correctly reproduces the input signal, so you get the right output without "steps".

EDIT: I had a typo and used 48.1 khz, not 44.1 khz.

here's an example of a 1 khz signal sampled at 44.1 48.1 khz. Looks nice. You could makes steps out of it.

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 12.29.56 PM.png

Here's an 18 khz signal sampled at same rate. Not so clear about steps.

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 12.30.13 PM.png

As mentioned, even the 2nd lollipop plot will reproduce the correct output, as there's only the one sine wave that exactly matches all those points.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What a great video. I wish I had that as an intro back in the day when I took my digital communications class. Looking back on Lee & Messerschmitt, the very first figure that shows a digital signal is, of course, a lollipop diagram.

I agree. One of the few that doesn't 'dumb it down' so much to where it really isn't helpful, yet remains accessible to people without any particular background.

I predict that marketing departments will sell this as being the most accurate reproduction of the original medium. You'll be able to hear every click, pop and hiss in stunning UHD clarity, almost as if you're really listening to a vinyl album!

One could then transfer the file to vinyl for the ultimate...something.

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am particularly amused by contemplating the bandwidth requirements for high fidelity reproduction of air, as hinted at in posts 121 and 123 above.

Reminds me of the oft-repeated story of the last straw for record producer Dave Hassinger working with the Grateful Dead on their sophomore studio effort, Anthem of the Sun.
The following quote is from wiki-p, but the story may be found in more reputable ;) sources, too, such as Phil Lesh's book Searching for the Sound.
Eventually, Hassinger grew frustrated with the group's slow recording pace and quit the project entirely while the band was at Century Sound, with only a third of the album completed. It has been reported that he left after guitarist Bob Weir requested creating the illusion of "thick air" in the studio by mixing recordings of silence taken in the desert and the city...

Mind you, most of those boys were doing a lot of psychotomimetic drugs at the time.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I am particularly amused by contemplating the bandwidth requirements for high fidelity reproduction of air, as hinted at in posts 121 and 123 above.

Reminds me of the oft-repeated story of the last straw for record producer Dave Hassinger working with the Grateful Dead on their sophomore studio effort, Anthem of the Sun.
The following quote is from wiki-p, but the story may be found in more reputable ;) sources, too, such as Phil Lesh's book Searching for the Sound.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Whatever may be gained by higher rates, smoother waveforms isn't what is happening.

Yes. Here's another simple way of looking at it: Two samples can represent 1Hz perfectly, while four samples can't represent "more 1Hz", but instead both 1Hz and 2Hz perfectly. Same for all higher sample rates and frequencies. There's no smoothness to be had, only frequency content.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever may be gained by higher rates, smoother waveforms isn't what is happening.
Well said. After all, unsmooth waveform is distortion, which is measurable.

the_hamster 2

They are clearly deaf, otherwise they would have spotted the 150 kHz sound and fixed it in mastering :facepalm:. How can you not hear this…;)
Really curious about the hand-over-eyes icon/emoji…can’t find it on-line, so how did you get it into your keyboard?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Really curious about the hand-over-eyes icon/emoji…can’t find it on-line, so how did you get it into your keyboard?
It’s just part of the icon set of the forum. Just click on the smiley icon outline to get a list of available options ;) at least in formatted editing mode it’s available.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is called "facepalm" Common all over the place.

the_hamster 2

It’s just part of the icon set of the forum. Just click on the smiley icon outline to get a list of available options ;) at least in formatted editing mode it’s available.
Ah, thanks so much…do a lot of commenting on the WaPo online articles, and the icon truly conforms to the “a picture is worth a thousand words” edict!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:…Fabulous! Did an extensive emoji search, and here at ASR is the only online source for that particular “facepalm”…now how to export to my keyboard.
You'll be better off just using whatever version exists on whatever emoticon set you are using.

Top Bottom