• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, proper 768 khz music. From Sound Liason which does make very high quality recordings. I'm not aware of commercial offerings at this rate before though maybe I just missed a few. Alas it is only 24 bit instead of proper 32 bit recording.

You can download a free sample track which clocks in just under a gigabyte in size. Pleased to see if you've purchased it at a lower rez, they offer to deduct the cost of that from buying again in the higher rez format. Of course they are transcribing the master tapes from their Studer A80 RTR.

Here is a quote from a promotional email as I'm on their mailing list.

Ray! in 768kHz
The RME company is highly regarded by audio professionals.

Before we started working with Merging, RME was our converter of choice. So when we got offered to test the RME ADI-2 FS, a compact 2-channel AD/DA converter we gladly approved.

The first comparison with our Merging Anubis was immediately positive. Lots of definition, a beautiful soundstage with perfect placement. And after powering it with the Ferrum Hypsos external power supply, a sense of calm and control was added to the experience. This is clearly a serious converter. The RME has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz. To really see what the RME ADI-2 is capable off, we created a 768kHz/24bit file straight from our Studer A80 tape recorder playing the ¼" reel to reel master tape from our latest release.

Listening and A/B comparing with the Studer the result is quite convincing. In our opinion the sound is very close to the analog master tape.
We would like to share the results with you.

Therefore we have made one 768kHz track from the album available for free for a limited time period.
The only favor we ask in return, is that you give us a bit of feedback; Is this a way forward?

Do you also hear an even greater sense of realism compared to the lower formats or are you perfectly happy with the formats you have been using so far?
For anyone who would like to purchase the entire album in 768kHz but has already purchased the album in a lower resolution in the past week, the price difference will be refunded. Send us an email and you will receive a refund within a few days.

Happy New Year and best wishes!
The Sound Liaison team; Frans & Peter

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hopefully this higher rate doesn't just mean more noise / hash like I've seen with spectral analysis of PCM192kHz tracks

Putting aside audibility for a moment, essentially everything above 30kHz is noise / hash

I have seen some pristine 192k and DXD recordings but not heaps

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well hey, if you're gonna have ten times your audible frequency upper limit, you might as well have double your practical dynamic range too!
And yes, use an analogue tape source with 70dB dynamic range (at best) and/or 3% distortion and/or ~25khz bandwidth for your 768/32 distributions.

What a hoot!
S.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The first comparison with our Merging Anubis was immediately positive. Lots of definition, a beautiful soundstage with perfect placement. And after powering it with the Ferrum Hypsos external power supply, a sense of calm and control was added to the experience. This is clearly a serious converter. The RME has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz. To really see what the RME ADI-2 is capable off, we created a 768kHz/24bit file straight from our Studer A80 tape recorder playing the ¼" reel to reel master tape from our latest release.

Listening and A/B comparing with the Studer the result is quite convincing. In our opinion the sound is very close to the analog master tape.
Do I need to buy a "Ferrum Hypsos external power supply" to get the sense of calm and control from an analog tape or will any old SMPS do ?

mansr

Major Contributor
Hopefully this higher rate doesn't just mean more noise / hash like I've seen with spectral analysis of PCM192kHz tracks
Here's the average power spectrum of the sample track:
1641140890565.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
I remember downloading a free, 1GB sampler from a company selling high rez [24/96] downloads, something like 12 tracks, but still :oops:.

First track was Diane Krall, pre-digital and judging from the hiss level, pre-Dolby (though the album was recorded in 1992). Musically fine, if you like this sort of thing. I do, and very much enjoy her collaboration with Claus Ogerman, "The Look of Love". Have it on SACD, but I've been listening to the rip of the Redbook layer because, A: I'm lazy and B: I can't hear the difference. It's got a surround mix. If I get another 5.1 system, I'll play the disc again.

Now, it might be my aged ears, but my dawn of the CD-Era Verve Jazz sampler has better sound than the contents of the sampler ("The Look of Love" has great sound), with recordings going as far back as the 1950s. Something to do with audio recording being more art than science.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Luckily we can't hear that spike at 150KHz. Or it wouldn't be worth the price premium. :rolleyes:

(Damn - ninja'd by @voodooless )

Tangband

Major Contributor
is 32bit really necessary?
Yes, 32 or 64 bit is the standard in every DAW.
With that said, almost all sound interfaces and high resolution acoustical recordings nowadays is done with 20 or 24 bit A/D and 96 kHz sampling frequency.
Its the sound-interface that limits the resolution, or different plugins for the DAW, like reverb and such ( often only 48 kHz sampling ).
And… always remember most mics SINAD are not better than 90 dB .

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the noise is in good shape as well.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, proper 768 khz music. From Sound Liason which does make very high quality recordings. I'm not aware of commercial offerings at this rate before though maybe I just missed a few. Alas it is only 24 bit instead of proper 32 bit recording.

You can download a free sample track which clocks in just under a gigabyte in size. Pleased to see if you've purchased it at a lower rez, they offer to deduct the cost of that from buying again in the higher rez format. Of course they are transcribing the master tapes from their Studer A80 RTR.

Here is a quote from a promotional email as I'm on their mailing list.

Ray! in 768kHz
The RME company is highly regarded by audio professionals.

Before we started working with Merging, RME was our converter of choice. So when we got offered to test the RME ADI-2 FS, a compact 2-channel AD/DA converter we gladly approved.

Therefore we have made one 768kHz track from the album available for free for a limited time period.
The only favor we ask in return, is that you give us a bit of feedback; Is this a way forward?

Do you also hear an even greater sense of realism compared to the lower formats or are you perfectly happy with the formats you have been using so far?
For anyone who would like to purchase the entire album in 768kHz but has already purchased the album in a lower resolution in the past week, the price difference will be refunded. Send us an email and you will receive a refund within a few days.

Happy New Year and best wishes!
The Sound Liaison team; Frans & Peter
This is like those $10,000/m cables…

sonitus mirus

This is outstanding news! I will be keeping a close watch on all the new Box Set releases for my favorite rock bands from the 60's and 70's. I can only imagine how impressive a digitally upconverted version of The Nightfly will sound. We can finally shine some much needed light on the Dark Side of the Moon.

I want a smoke machine built into my setup so that I can feel like I am actually in the studio with a few of the classic bands on some of their marathon sessions, with an option to leave Yoko Ono locked out.

storing

Forum Donor
I want a smoke machine built into my setup so that I can feel like I am actually in the studio with a few of the classic bands on some of their marathon sessions, with an option to leave Yoko Ono locked out.

For this specific purpose I'd suggest a marihuana (or whatever your preferred poison is) vaporizer instead of the smoke machine. Or in addition to it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom