• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally...an upgrade.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This was too great a deal to pass up. A friend decided he needed white and didn't need a sub, so he sold me a pair of JBL LSR 305s and an SVS sub. I'm waiting on some longer cables to get them set up right and already they sound really good. At $2k to upgrade to the next level, I'm good.

The 305s don't need the sub for most recordings, but movies like it. Audiophiles would shriek in horror at my sources - streaming through Apple TV, then to an Airport Express for TV, direct stream to the airport for music. Volume control in Apple TV was a challenge, but got it worked out.

Old Listener

This was too great a deal to pass up. A friend decided he needed white and didn't need a sub, so he sold me a pair of JBL LSR 305s and an SVS sub. I'm waiting on some longer cables to get them set up right and already they sound really good. At $2k to upgrade to the next level, I'm good.

The 305s don't need the sub for most recordings, but movies like it. Audiophiles would shriek in horror at my sources - streaming through Apple TV, then to an Airport Express for TV, direct stream to the airport for music. Volume control in Apple TV was a challenge, but got it worked out.

Nice to hear from you. You used to have 4 series JBL monitors, didn't you? Did the 305s replace those?

OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

Nice to hear from you. You used to have 4 series JBL monitors, didn't you? Did the 305s replace those?
No ive never had JBL monitors before. These replaced a pair of AVi 9.1s. Active speakers from a small U.K. company.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Tim, it's about time! Now the real challenge...fine tuning everything in sync.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also curious as to what you perceive as the biggest differences between the LSR305 and your old AVI's, @Phelonious Ponk . I've given a pair of 305s to a good friend of mine, driven by a chromecast audio (his girlfriend dumped him and moved out, he was heartbroken, and I figured he needed some music to cheer him up). Very impressed by what that setup was able to deliver sonically. But haven't listened to them long term.

I'm still happy with my AVI DM10s, now doing service as near-fields at my office. Their biggest limitation, as I see it, is that they compress quite a bit in the bass department. I'm considering either getting a pair of EVE SC208 (which are excellent and not at all limited in the bass/mid-bass), or keeping the AVIs and crossing over to two subwoofers at 100 hz, in order to get a fuller bass and relieve the woofers of the heavy lifting.

Last edited:
OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

Well, bear in mind mine were 9.1s, but the difference between them and these dirt-cheap JBLs is just about everything. The JBLs are clearer, go deeper (even with the sub off), they image better in an open room (oddly, I thought the AVis were at their best near field). These JBLs are stupid good for as cheap as they are. They'd be competitive at ten times the price. I finally got the set up and sub placement sorted out, and for most of what I listen to, the sub is not necessary. I think they're good enough and I'm done. I've shaken off the last of my audiophile tendencies. He'll, I haven't plugged my hard drive in for weeks, I'm streaming Apple Music with a VBR floor of 256kbps, and it sounds great. The best thing is that, since I moved the AVis off the desk, I've been bothered by mushy, harsh midrange. I wondered if it was my room, my aging ears, my imagination...it opened up with these JBLs. I like 'em!

OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

Tim, it's about time! Now the real challenge...fine tuning everything in sync.

I needed to get some longer cables, but once I did, I got some air around the JBLs, got the sub out from the wall. I ended up crossed over at 5o Hz, set phase in the center (honestly, I couldn't hear it), set the sub volume at about 9 o'clock, and it's all good. When a bass note is synced with a kick drum the note stands out clearly from the kick, with no hangover, and the kick has the appropriate weight and impact. He'll, that's not easy to accomplish live.

OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

Ah, now I remember. Didn't you post here about awaiting JBL monitors after the 4 series was discontinued.

I did, but the replacement for the 4 series, when they finally came, were $1000 each, without the 4's room eq, and I couldn't stop buying guitars! A deal on these 305s and the SVS sub came along that was so good I had little to lose, so I gave it a shot.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Hmmmmm... guitars or speakers. GUITARS every time!!!

Happy for you, Tim. Enjoy the new speakers.

Old Listener

I did, but the replacement for the 4 series, when they finally came, were $1000 each, without the 4's room eq, and I couldn't stop buying guitars! A deal on these 305s and the SVS sub came along that was so good I had little to lose, so I gave it a shot.

Thanks for all the information, Tim. Pretty crafty move on your part.

Three more questions: How loud is your normal listening level? How big is the room? How far are you from the speakers?

OP
Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk

Thanks for all the information, Tim. Pretty crafty move on your part.

Three more questions: How loud is your normal listening level? How big is the room? How far are you from the speakers?
I'm very close to the speakers. Maybe 6 ft away. If I'm listening very loud it's because I'm cooking, cleaning, listening while I do other things. My living/listening room is the upper part of an L. My dining room is the corner of the L. My kitchen is around the corner.

Old Listener

I'm very close to the speakers. Maybe 6 ft away. If I'm listening very loud it's because I'm cooking, cleaning, listening while I do other things. My living/listening room is the upper part of an L. My dining room is the corner of the L. My kitchen is around the corner.

Thanks, Tim. I always enjoyed reading your real world posts on WBF.

It sounds as though you're fixed for speakers for awhile. Hope you enjoy them for a long time.

Top Bottom