• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, an in home vinyl cutter.

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
But....why?

My SL-10 will play via 12v jack...I could make a mix-record before each drive.

Here's my beach road trip record... My back road record. Seems great to me. For the purist only it looks like...I can see how it wouldn't appeal to a tape lover.

Robin L

Master Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A BS product ... Some will pay for it, use it a few times and let it gather dust ... which should have been the fate of this very product idea...

dennis h

Sorry it ain't gonna happen with that thing (reasonable test recordings for those that care)
If the Pro's can't do it with the expensive stuff (just saying)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Sorry it ain't gonna happen with that thing (reasonable test recordings for those that care)
If the Pro's can't do it with the expensive stuff (just saying)

Maybe it's acceptable if it's not test tones.

It might be okay for a tracking test.

In fact, it might be *superior* to test trackability if it cuts nasty, irregular, rough grooves....;)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Maybe it's acceptable if it's not test tones.

It might be okay for a tracking test.

In fact, it might be *superior* to test trackability if cuts nasty, irregular, rough grooves....;)
But with no apparent level control or any other type of audio control I doubt the record would be useful for much from a test standpoint.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Actually, tone arm cables suit ASR just fine as a topic.

Proper pF loading of an MM cart requires one to know the cap loading of the entire chain, including the capacitance of the tone arm cable.

Very true, some MM cartridges (AT) are extremely sensitive, volatile, to impedance load. Both capacitance and resistance. It's actually a big pain in the ass, but important to know and try to optimize.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's been discussed having a custom test record made.

The question is then if this method can make a more accurate disk than the vintage test disks.

Also, $3100 to make a test disk...
In the comment, a blank record was said to cost 10€... So REW could sell recordings of the sweeps with sync pulses .... I am in for 100€.

egellings

Major Contributor
You'd need to know things like recorded velocity and other parameters in order for a test disk to be useful, much in the way of a calibration standard. Not sure if this cutter provides that info.

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Actually it was the math vs an ultra sonic disc washer.

I just got one... Not the $5k autodesk, but a Kirmuss. Wish there was something in the middle

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I just realized it can't make labels.
Perhaps you print special round stick-on labels on your regular printer and stick them on the vinyl kind of like those old CD labels I used to use. That hassle would make an already useless device even more useless. :facepalm:

I predict this gizmo is going the way of the Pono Player.

Top Bottom