• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, an in home vinyl cutter.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love that they cut a record from a digital master, then digitized the record for sharing online among with the article.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I love that they cut a record from a digital master, then digitized the record for sharing online among with the article.
If you do the math, digital will work in these applications, and the third recording demonstrates this thing is good enough for noisy lo-fi.

I am curious how it would do with test records. Like for pink noise, would there be any significant artifacts in my audible range, i.e., 20-14kHz. Is the noise mathematically clean or is it messy? I am also curious if there will be any sub $5 third party blanks that are just as good as their $10 ones.

TerenceAlvin

Congratulations on the new purchase. I would also like to buy one, but I'm still researching which one is the best.

Grumpish

Why stop there - pure analogue recording and playback. No need for expensive power cords, or interconnects, you don't even need to worry about batteries.

EdisonPhonograph.jpg

Last edited:

simbloke

Forum Donor
I clicked on this topic because I wondered what kind of things people make at home out of vinyl.
Then, oh, that vinyl :facepalm:
I'll get my own coat.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I clicked on this topic because I wondered what kind of things people make at home out of vinyl.
Then, oh, that vinyl :facepalm:
I'll get my own coat.
"You got a light, Mac?"
"No, but I've got a dark brown overcoat."

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember when I was DJing in the 90s there was a sort-of-affordable LP cutter made by one of the DJ companies. Maybe Numark, but I can't find any record of it. Does anyone else remember it?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why stop there - pure analogue recording and playback. No need for expensive power cords, or interconnects, you don't even need to worry about batteries.

View attachment 151412
I can’t recall where I read it, someone did claim that there were an “impossible to describe” realism inEdison cylinder!! Could have been from “ Romy The Cat” website … not saying it was Romy’s post …

egellings

Major Contributor
How does the sound quality of one of those home-cut disks compare to a comparable commercial one?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How does the sound quality of one of those home-cut disks compare to a comparable commercial one?

I have no data, but I'm going to guess not as good.

I'm skeptical that a desktop device can make cuts as small as a cutting lathe and that the 'at home' material is as good as what is used commercially.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I have no data, but I'm going to guess not as good.

I'm skeptical that a desktop device can make cuts as small as a cutting lathe and that the 'at home' material is as good as what is used commercially.
I would be confident 100000.9799% that the home made cuts will not sound as good as a professionally mastered record. Just a wild guess. :facepalm:

Top Bottom