• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally, an in home vinyl cutter.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow... Load a blank record, connect the source and press the start button. I wonder how it deals with all the swarf from cutting.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow... Load a blank record, connect the source and press the start button. I wonder how it deals with all the swarf from cutting.

It seems to collect most of it:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a pretty sturdy stiff chassis. A linear tracking cutter. :D
I wonder how consequential rumble would be for the cutting quality. Can’t figure out what’s driving it but the overall plinth and surrounding assembly looks less damped than my 301.

Robin L

Master Contributor
What could possibly go wrong?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Discogs is going to get flooded with fakes.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If you listen to the very end of the file of a cut from this machine HERE you can hear some pretty high surface noise for a couple seconds before the file cuts off. When I first saw the article yesterday my first impression was 'who in the hell would want to use this thing?" It appears to cut in real-time so it wouldn't be a very efficient means of distributing vinyl of a band's music. Record cutters used to be a standard accessory to deluxe console photo/radio consoles pre-WWII, but then again there was no alternative other than wire recording which sounded horrible.

Record my streamed files to 'take the edge off"?????? I can do that with reel to reel tape. This cutter also does not appear to have any means of setting recording levels, so there must be some sort of automatic volume setting, which disqualifies it immediately for serious use.

I don't get it. But then again, there are a lot of things I don't get. Now excuse me while I bring the trash cans back in from the curb. :rolleyes:

dmilller

My 8 year eco warrior daughter isn’t going to approve of this development;)

Or love making physical records of her voice. It seems to me that the attraction to vinyl in many younger adults and kids is the tangible nature of the medium. It's amazing that vinyl works as well as it does. The fact that vinyl can even make music "in the ballpark" of quality digital reproduction is non-intuitive to me.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In the US, Third Man Records has had refurbished 1947 Voice-o-Graph booths available to the public.
Just the thing for 'Record Store Day'.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You were reading Michael Fremer's web site? Wait... this isn't April 1st. What's next? Threads about tone arm cables?

Actually, tone arm cables suit ASR just fine as a topic.

Proper pF loading of an MM cart requires one to know the cap loading of the entire chain, including the capacitance of the tone arm cable.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If I buy one of these, I’m going to set it right next to my VCR that I use to record my Blu-ray discs.
Excellent plan! :)

Top Bottom