• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Final sanity check before deciding on my new DAC

tensor9

Forum Donor
Considering:
Matrix Element X
Benchmark DAC3
Okto Stereo

The Benchmark will be the worst performer, relatively speaking, but it has great domestic service and support and trade-ins towards future gear. Volume control is digital.
The Okto will be (probably) perform very strongly, but it is from a small company that probably lacks substantial domestic support. It will be probably the least expensive. Volume control is digital.
The Matrix Element X performs wonderfully and seems to be very well built. It has features I don't need (headphone amp and streamer--but the streamer might just outperform my current one and be more convenient. The network functionality is just flat-out unfinished at the moment. There are some US-based distributors (Moon-Audio), but I'm not sure about service and support.) Volume control is a hybrid digital and analog (relays kick in every 20 dB of attenuation).

I'm heavily leaning towards the Element X, but it is the most expensive and has features I don't need. The features it does have are really compelling, though.

Thoughts?

gvl

Major Contributor
Flip a coin. May take a while to get the Okto.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
If I was going to spend that much on a DAC from that list it would be Benchmark. The other two devices are awesome (both provide feature sets that would fit specific user applications really well), but the brands aren't as proven. At that level the features of the RME ADI-2 (even though I wouldn't use most of them) would tempt me the most. Plus it happens to be cheaper. It also has a good headphone amp if that is part of the equation for you.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Benchmark.

gvl

Major Contributor
Out of the bunch only the Matrix Element X supports MQA if that's something you fancy. @suttondesign I think is the owner of Nice Cans which is one of the US Matrix distributors, perhaps you and him can work out an ASR discount for the Element or maybe Benchmark for that matter :) But if not for MQA I'd also say Benchmark.

OP
T

tensor9

Forum Donor
One thing if I go with Benchmark, I would be REALLY tempted to get the LA4 as well, which would considerably up the cost. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Bliman

I would go for the matrix. Certainly if you want a streamer. Okto sadly seems not ready. Would you feel the same if you choose the Benchmark. I personally wouldn't but you have you answer that yourself. And it looks like Matrix is the real deal. Or you could buy the Element M and save some money and also let it test here :) or the Element I. I would not loose the feeling that I missed something if I chose something less measured like the rme. But that is personal. I am in the same situation as you.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of the bunch only the Matrix Element X supports MQA if that's something you fancy. @suttondesign I think is the owner of Nice Cans which is one of the US Matrix distributors, perhaps you and him can work out an ASR discount for the Element or maybe Benchmark for that matter :).
this is so true

gvl

Major Contributor
PS Audio will buy back your old gear up to MSRP if you buy theirs. Not that you'd want to ;)

Top Bottom